The longest build thread ever (probably)

TravisW

Reaction score
Fretboard ordered. I used the extra time to come up with a different inlay and binding scheme that I like better for this build than what I had done before. 2 days' wait for the fretboard, another couple days' work, and I'll have some new fretboard pictures for this thread!

TravisW

Reaction score
New fretboard arrived! Broken at the 6th fret, though. Called StewMac, and those guys have their replacement policies down cold! New fretboard will ship today, and the broken one becomes cavity and truss rod covers.

TravisW

Reaction score
Got the taper cut...this time measuring with my steel ruler, and leaving the entire binding width to take care of with the plane.

Taper2.0 by TravisWoyen, on Flickr

TravisW

Reaction score
Finished the planing (just leaving a smidgen left to take off with some sandpaper after I'm done with the inlays). I cut out the inlays and laid them out pretty much where they're going to sit.

Inlay layout by TravisWoyen, on Flickr

Reverend D

Reaction score
Love the inlays Man, reminds me of the Gretsch thumbnails but its original. Very cool!

Regards,

Don

emoney

Reaction score
Well I guess it's unanimous then because I like them too!

TravisW

Reaction score
Thanks guys! You can see the test scrap (from the Page 1 fretboard) sitting by the little plane.

For a little inspiration, I'm going to play this puppy this afternoon.

http://youtu.be/8LhAEqG-RuY

TravisW

Reaction score
Got the side dots put in (and the 12th fret "Blob". In person, it looks pretty square. In pictures, not so much.

DotsnBlob by TravisWoyen, on Flickr

TravisW

Reaction score
You know, I had kind of a funny idea. Since the binding and inlay are both maple, if I do another one like this, it'd be kind of neat to see if I could pull off making the triangles part of the binding. Do it on an unradiused board, and radius the binding at the same time as the board.

Oh, btw...the easiest way I've found to get ebony dust out of maple without scraping and removing material is a simple soft pencil eraser. Makes sense when you think about it; it's basically doing the same thing as it does when you erase pencil marks from paper.

cain61

Reaction score
Dude, that's a great hint! I'm doing the same thing myself here in a week or so.

emoney

Reaction score
You could absolute make the binding and triangles one piece.
You should already be including the binding in the radius as it is.

Latest Threads