The Les Paul Prototype

EtriX

Reaction score
So the original had a florentine huh... no wonder I always liked those :D

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
lol @ the jack plate switch ring. awesome maple and top carve.

JoBeans

Reaction score
You know this is a much more playable design than the first production model. I am curious as to what the decision process was that brought them from this to the completely unplayable wrap-under bridge design.

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
with a maple top like that, you gotta wonder WHO THE HELL wanted it painted gold? :rolleyes: ...................

Reaction score
I don't know if it's this one or another one, but there is a shot of a prototype that Les actually owned and had modified WAY beyond recognition, right down to a Norlin Clownburst refin. I THINK it was a different guitar. He'd chiseled a recces to fit a Bigsby into the top.

If I recall, this one had been restored after having been modified as well.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
You know this is a much more playable design than the first production model. I am curious as to what the decision process was that brought them from this to the completely unplayable wrap-under bridge design.
This guitar has dot fret markers. I believe this guitar was heavily modified from its original bridge configuration.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
les paul designed the tailpiece, gibson got the neck angle wrong. he hated it and complained, thus the wrapover desinged by ted mccarty.

the tribute les pauls have the corrected neck angle and the trapeze as Les intended.

zontar

Reaction score
les paul designed the tailpiece, gibson got the neck angle wrong. he hated it and complained, thus the wrapover desinged by ted mccarty.

the tribute les pauls have the corrected neck angle and the trapeze as Les intended.
Yup--and they look kind of cool.
But the prototype makes more sense--at least until the TOM

lpcustom69

Reaction score
That's an awesome guitar, even with the industrial switchplate.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
I believe he installed dogeared covers to hide the humbucker routes that were made during its defacing.

planks

Reaction score
I don't know if it's this one or another one, but there is a shot of a prototype that Les actually owned and had modified WAY beyond recognition, right down to a Norlin Clownburst refin. I THINK it was a different guitar. He'd chiseled a recces to fit a Bigsby into the top.

If I recall, this one had been restored after having been modified as well.

:thumb:

planks

Reaction score
Les Paul and Mary Ford playing what also appears to be prototypes

SGMM

Reaction score
Wow....much coolness....LOVE those kinda old pics....thanx for sharing!!