The Les Paul is MORE versatile than you think

catawompus

Reaction score
A Les Paul can do just about anything. One thing it can't do is twang and the 2/4 of a Strat. My take is: A man needs a Les Paul, a Tele and a Strat. (and maybe some other guitars:dude:)

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I only have Les Paul's that is all I need. Split to Single coil and I can get enough twang to suit most needs.
Oh... I need this ash tray and this paddle board and that is all I need.
And this remote control.. All I need is this Les Paul, this ash tray, the paddle board and the remote control and that is all I need. lol

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have Les Paul's that is all I need. Split to Single coil and I can get enough twang to suit most needs.
And this remote control.. All I need is this Les Paul, this ash tray, the paddle board and the remote control and that is all I need. lol
Naa definitely need a good strat in your collection.... They sound so different and unique.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, I have had Fat Strat's and Super Strat's as well as a Players Telecaster, but just did not use them much. I am a home player and can get the sounds I like from my Les Paul's.

NJDevil

Reaction score
Good video and it is pretty much preaching to the choir. I love Strats(only use positions 4 & 5) but the bridge pickup only is like finger on a chalkboard. I love my Gretsches but really cannot deliver some bluesy tones I'm looking for that my Tele and Strat cover well.

I have 3 LPs but my favorite is the '14 Tradiitional with those '59 reissue pickups. It does everything including all kinds of "bluesy goodness". It nails the highs from the bridge perfectly bringing in chime, twang and depth and a great "wet/bluesy drip" with depth and dynamics. Mids? Yup and kills it for rhythm cutting perfectly in the mix.

To top it off, it pairs better with ALL of my pedals than any Gretsch, Tele or Strat I own.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play everything on a les Paul…no sound is out of reach save maybe the SRV tone

heck, I tend to warm up with air supply songs that I pick in a piano form bordering on Spanish classical…

-chris

Last edited:

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I picked the Les Paul to be number one guitar for its versatility. It can drive my gainy amp for Classic and Hard Rock, and with the neck pickup and tone knobs, turn it into a faux Jazz tone on a single channel amp.

Classicplayer

Findthetone

Reaction score
I just looked and you got your name in the phonebook!!

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it you don't need that lamp either...

Coldacre

Reaction score
A Les Paul can do just about anything. One thing it can't do is twang and the 2/4 of a Strat. My take is: A man needs a Les Paul, a Tele and a Strat. (and maybe some other guitars:dude:)
sure they can twang! Joey Santiago (Pixies) used it exclusively for all the surf rock tunes they did on their 3rd album.

Latest Threads