The les Paul is like the Porsche 911

Brek

Reaction score
We won’t let them change it. I wonder how much this has actually hurt Gibson as a brand in the minds of the younger players? We like it just how it is, but how much longer is this going to last? Me? I am happy as a hog in shit with how good the reissues are these days.

PRSWILL

Reaction score
Well, as a Porsche 911 owner ( 1996 C4S 993 model) i'd say yeah, there something to say about that comparison. Porsche has innovated on the 911 many times- the cars today are no where even close to what they were in the 80's /90's and god help the early 2000 911- they sucked- just like a few bad years with Gibson and the QA problems they had.

The new 911's are super cars- the new Gibson Les Pauls- not so much. I'd maybe say a Paul Reed Smith is a closer comp to a modern 911. ( and I have a couple PRS guitars as well!) but yeah the Les Paul is Rock and Roll tradition- and the style will never change- as it shouldn't.

TheX

Why you mad, bro?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Les Pauls are average guitars these days, certainly nothing above and beyond what others are making for *at times* less money.

dspelman

Reaction score
We won’t let them change it. I wonder how much this has actually hurt Gibson as a brand in the minds of the younger players? We like it just how it is, but how much longer is this going to last? Me? I am happy as a hog in shit with how good the reissues are these days.
The current series of 911s has almost no relationship to the first ones. Continual change and improvement is the reason.

TheX

Why you mad, bro?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The current series of 911s has almost no relationship to the first ones. Continual change and improvement is the reason.
I had an '84 SC and it was a stinky, rather uncomfortable car. Still loved it.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, yeah well I’d sure never lift my throttle foot if I found myself too hot in the apex of a turn with my Les Paul!
And this right here is how to save your ass in a 911!

Found myself too fast into a turn one day that was sharper than expected in my new 911.

Instinct said lift, training said nope! Car acted like it became a roller coaster car.

Was blown away!

Took a lot of trust tho!

sonar1

Reaction score
Lots of wrecks out there from lack of commitment in a rear engine car.

I learned the same thing playing Telecasters. Don’t be tentative!

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Porsche = Rolex

Because I can not because it makes sense.

guitarbob123

Reaction score
I don't mind if they don't change a thing for years, I'm only 25 so once all the old guys holding onto vintage pieces are gone then hopefully the drop in demand is matched by a price drop :hmm:

parts

Reaction score
Having used 911s I would suggest on earlier say 1980 or older..even new.. I would NOT take my foot off the loud pedal in turns..unless you like to rotate..

It is commitment that makes them what they are..

Same as an LP..

Last edited:

toymaker

Reaction score
I think of Strat's more as 911's

And the Tele as the VW Beetle..

Same bloodlines - one is a more stylish, eye catching beauty - but at the old reliable is simply the most uncomplicated and steady performer ever made.

Try to improve on it all you like - you will wind up back to the original and wonder why you felt you could do better to begin with.

danohat

Reaction score
I never had a Porsche, but I had an Mr2 that could corner so fast it was like those little race car tracks we had as kids.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Yeah I guess an LP is kinda like a sports car in the guitar world for sure...never thought of it that way.

Latest Threads