The Les Paul Headstock Tilt

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Not sure thread was to be: rant, admiration or honest inquiry...

null_zps756e79f3.jpg

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
FFWD to 9:28

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbU1R4KDymw"]Gibson USA Factory Tour - YouTube[/ame]

paulgibson

Reaction score
chasenblues said:
Honest inquiry that almost got off track. Course not all LP(or other style of guitars) "type" guitar necks/headstocks are made from a single piece of wood,Some are constructed using a scarf joint.

IMAGE#1

LP set neck headstock break

Would the scarf joint be more prone to break as opposed to a single piece?

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

chasenblues

Reaction score
I don't know,There's more surface area with the two pieces glued together. Than at the nut/headstock area where it seems most of the neck breaks on LP's occur. :dunno:

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
They bend the mahogany trees 17 degrees from sticklings and the just grow that way ;)

Farquad

Reaction score
Would the scarf joint be more prone to break as opposed to a single piece?

quite the opposite. The single piece of wood has a weak spot at the tilt where the wood fibers are the shortest.

The scarf joint takes that weak spot away, and has longer wood fibers.
Plus the bond between the glue and the wood is stronger than the natural bonding of the wood fibers.

Another way around this weak spot is the volute.

paulgibson

Reaction score
How would I know what type of joint is in my 2013 trad? Do they use the scarf joints on the more expensive custom shops? Wonder why Gibson did away with the volute if it ensured greater stability and less headstock breaks

Ermghoti

Reaction score
How would I know what type of joint is in my 2013 trad? Do they use the scarf joints on the more expensive custom shops? Wonder why Gibson did away with the volute if it ensured greater stability and less headstock breaks

All USA gibsons are one piece/carved necks, only Epiphones get scarfed.

The 50's Gibsons did not have volutes, therefore the Gibson customer, who is largely buying the sense of tradition that emanates from that era, sees them as a downgrade. The 70s volutes were, in my opinion, a little clumsily executed, compared to others I've seen, so that's probably part of the backlash.

ARandall

Reaction score

People didn't like the volute as it wasn't the way it was done in the 50's......like all the other innovations in the neck area during the Norlin period (multi-piece glued necks and a move to maple).

Scarf joints are a good way to tell a fake LP.

Latest Threads