The Les Paul Headstock Tilt

paulgibson

Reaction score
As I was playing the les Paul tonight, I was admiring the 17 degree headstock tilt on my trad and was wondering what Gibson does to shape it that way. Is the headstock connected to the neck or is the neck and headstock both one piece of wood? So many nice, unique features on a les paul and that headstock bend is one of my favorite looks about the LP.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Farquad

Reaction score
They are cut from the same piece of wood. The only additions are the wings and the veneer on top (and the truss rod and fingerboard...).

paulgibson

Reaction score
Farquad said:
They are cut from the same piece of wood. The only additions are the wings and the veneer on top (and the truss rod and fingerboard...).

How do they get the headstock to bend backwards from a straight-cut piece of wood? If I bend a tree branch, chances are they'll break or return to original form. Hows Gibson do it. I have no carpenter skills as you can tell.

KenG

Reaction score
They don't bend anything, the blank is big enough to cut the neck out with the angle built in. Picture the neck lying on its side.

paulgibson

Reaction score
KenG said:
They don't bend anything, the blank is big enough to cut the neck out with the angle built in. Picture the neck lying on its side.
Ok, got it, I think. Either way, it's. A cool look. Sure glad they dont tilt frontward.Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's a photo taken from the Bartlett thread in the Luthier's Corner, showing a neck blank that's been rough cut to the proper shape. That's all done from a solid piece of mahogany, that's usually 3" wide, by 4" deep, and around 31" long. You can usually cut two necks out of a neck blank of these dimensions.

ed02710b.jpg

Frank

paulgibson

Reaction score
Thanks, now I understand. Beautiful!

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's another photo showing how two neck blanks are typically cut from one piece of wood:

SDC11765.jpg

Frank

paulgibson

Reaction score
chasenblues said:
Redundant post.
So, being that you already know how and why a headstock is tilted, and I don't, because I couldn't find the answer thru all the other thousands of redundant threads, then its a redundant post? If you want redundant, go read the pick guard on, pick guard off threads Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be Friday. Everyone is gettin' grumbly :)

chasenblues

Reaction score
So, being that you already know how and why a headstock is tilted, and I don't, because I couldn't find the answer thru all the other thousands of redundant threads, then its a redundant post? If you want redundant, go read the pick guard on, pick guard off threads Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

I wrote redundant POST(not THREAD) because i was going to post a picture of an unfinished Gibson type neck. But saw that pinefd had already posted pictures of them. Unbunch your panties they can make your balls hurt.:hyper:

paulgibson

Reaction score
chasenblues said:
Quote: Originally Posted by paulgibson So, being that you already know how and why a headstock is tilted, and I don't, because I couldn't find the answer thru all the other thousands of redundant threads, then its a redundant post? If you want redundant, go read the pick guard on, pick guard off threads Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android I wrote redundant POST(not THREAD) because i was going to post a picture of an unfinished Gibson type neck. But saw that pinefd had already posted pictures of them. Unbunch your panties they can make your balls hurt.
well, you can still post it then to make it officially redundant. . Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

chasenblues

Reaction score
Quote: Originally Posted by paulgibson So, being that you already know how and why a headstock is tilted, and I don't, because I couldn't find the answer thru all the other thousands of redundant threads, then its a redundant post? If you want redundant, go read the pick guard on, pick guard off threads Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenblues
I wrote redundant POST(not THREAD) because i was going to post a picture of an unfinished Gibson type neck. But saw that pinefd had already posted pictures of them. Unbunch your panties they can make your balls hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgibson
well, you can still post it then to make it officially redundant. .
deadhorse.gif

Lots of build info here, Luthier's Corner - MyLesPaul.com

Reaction score
I always thought they just took a big tree and cut off everything that didn't look like a Les Paul. Man, the things we've all learned on this forum...and it's still free!

paulgibson

Reaction score
Disturbing Manor said:
I always thought they just took a big tree and cut off everything that didn't look like a Les Paul. Man, the things we've all learned on this forum...and it's still free!

If we can't play like scholars we'll at least learn everything there is to know about a les paul guitar.

paulgibson

Reaction score
chasenblues said:
Quote: Originally Posted by paulgibson So, being that you already know how and why a headstock is tilted, and I don't, because I couldn't find the answer thru all the other thousands of redundant threads, then its a redundant post? If you want redundant, go read the pick guard on, pick guard off threads Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenblues
I wrote redundant POST(not THREAD) because i was going to post a picture of an unfinished Gibson type neck. But saw that pinefd had already posted pictures of them. Unbunch your panties they can make your balls hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgibson
well, you can still post it then to make it officially redundant. .
IMAGE#1

Lots of build info here, Luthier's Corner - MyLesPaul.com

I didn't even know there was a Luthiers Corner. Wealth of info here, thanks.

Latest Threads