The Les Paul "Deluxe"

acstorfer

Reaction score
The recent thread regarding would someone call a Traditional a Standard got me thinking about something. Why is a Les Paul Deluxe not called a Les Paul Standard?

Originally the Les Paul Standard had P-90's. If a change of pickups required a name change, why not call the new humbucker equipped Les Pauls the Deluxe? I'm guessing from a marketing perspective Gibson wanted to make mini-humbuckers more desirable by changing the name from Standard to Deluxe (this statement is purely speculative). However, in the case of the humbucker, they kept the model name the same. I would have thought the humbucker equipped Les Paul would have been the step up over the P-90's, and Gibson would have wanted to "upgrade" the model name then.

In the early 70's it was possible to special order a Les Paul Deluxe with full size humbuckers. In those cases though, the guitar still had the model designate "Deluxe". In the mid 70's Gibson brought back full size humbuckers (as the "Standard" model), and kept mini-humbuckers (as the "Deluxe") in production. By having both those designates, it actually made sense. In the late 70's Gibson produced a model with P-90's (with ebony fretboard) and that body route procedure kept the "Deluxe" name by calling it a Deluxe Pro.

While Gibson always differentiated models with humbuckers and mini-buckers since, here is my question. Why are later models that came equipped with P-90s now considered Standards while mini-humbucker models still called Deluxes? Seeing how the difference between a Deluxe and a Standard are the pickup routes (it can't be due to the pickups because there are so many different types) why are P-90 models Standards when in actuality they are closer to Deluxe models in production process?

I have a '73 Deluxe. I will continue to call it a Deluxe. I am very happy to call it a highly modified Deluxe. Still I'm curious as to why the Standard name didn't change with humbuckers if they were going to rename it due to pickup changes, as well as P-90 equipped Les Pauls later became classified as Standards while mini-humbucker equipped Les Pauls are still called Deluxes.

There has been a lot of evolution when it came to the Les Paul. There really is nothing standard about all the models called "Standard". It's just surprising the Deluxe moniker remains.

A rose by any other name is still a rose, this is just some Sunday morning contemplating.

ido1957

Reaction score
I think I read that they had a stockpile of mini humbuckers and needed to use them up thus the Deluxe was born. I could be wrong though.

acstorfer

Reaction score
I think I read that they had a stockpile of mini humbuckers and needed to use them up thus the Deluxe was born. I could be wrong though.

That's my understanding as well. They were surplus from the Epiphone acquisition.

Meathead872

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Despite the wide use among players and collectors of the name 'standard' for the sunburst model,Gibson did not refer to it as the Les Paul standard in there literature until 1960 and the guitar never bore the name. The name standard was never was on the truss rod cover until 1976, so IMO the standard (humbuckers) and Deluxe (mini HB) just made it easy for marketing for the sunburst Deluxe or Standard. Consider the times they had to use all those mini humbuckers from Epiphone for something.

acstorfer

Reaction score
Despite the wide use among players and collectors of the name 'standard' for the sunburst model,Gibson did not refer to it as the Les Paul standard in there literature until 1960 and the guitar never bore the name. The name standard was never was on the truss rod cover until 1976, so IMO the standard (humbuckers) and Deluxe (mini HB) just made it easy for marketing for the sunburst Deluxe or Standard. Consider the times they had to use all those mini humbuckers from Epiphone for something.

Was Gibson ever consistent :)?

riffsmachine

Reaction score
In the early 70's it was possible to special order a Les Paul Deluxe with full size humbuckers. In those cases though, the guitar still had the model designate "Deluxe".

Yes, but some had the truss rod's cover labeled "Standard"

Here an example of my 73'

2vt5nxg.jpg

2m5z2h1.jpg

acstorfer

Reaction score
I may be the only one, but some of the three piece tops looked cool.

Some are the 3-piece (as well as more than 3) tops are extremely tight! I do love them all though, and I'm absolutely positive you're not the only one.

riffsmachine

Reaction score
They made these in 2010..Bought in 2011.
It's labeled as CS R7. Chunk neck minihumb as a De Luxe.
I have mounted a pair of SD Antiquity. Very Paf-ish tone:)

24n3b5s.jpg

wv6g0o.jpg

2z7oayp.jpg

acstorfer

Reaction score

24n3b5s.jpg

wv6g0o.jpg

2z7oayp.jpg

Did that originally come with P-90's?

riffsmachine

Reaction score
Did that originally come with P-90's?

No, it came with Gibson minihumb that were weak...
Then i tried a set of P90 but i didn't like it on this guitar. Too harsh.
I remember when I took this that there was also another one-same model in sparkle red.

ARandall

Reaction score
Different pickups, different name.

But in the 50's there was never a time when there was an option of p90's or humbuckers. The goldtop and custom simply got upgraded to the new pickups, rather than the bad marketing of calling the only 2 les pauls available by completely different names.

brianbzed

Reaction score

That's definately true! They had an overage of mini's when they shut down the US Made Epiphone line, and used them for the new "Deluxe" Model.:D

brianbzed

Reaction score

24n3b5s.jpg

wv6g0o.jpg

2z7oayp.jpg

Grunt,grunt......GAS!!!! I WANT ONE!!!!!:applause:

riffsmachine

Reaction score
Remember that 50's Standard failed. (as you well know)

So after a little run of 68' 69' with P90, they went back on the market with these new models and called them "De Luxe". I think to "refresh" the line.
Maybe......:)

DanL

Reaction score
I think it stems from the fact that all standards once had P90s, but standards never had minis.

ARandall

Reaction score
Glad they brought out the mini - THE secret weapon for neck pickups....and a passable bridge tone too if you go custom wound.

Latest Threads