The Les Paul Deluxe Thread

Platypus

Reaction score
at one point we had exact twins because I had that same exact Seymour Duncan sm-2 mini humbucker. The pickup in it now is a P90 sized Dimarzio Super Distortion. I really love the Sm-2 and I was surprised when I installed the Super D because the Duncan sounded like a Super D and the cleans were a little better, but I usually use the middle and neck position for cleans. I might go back to the Duncan

So you had the original Gibby mini in the neck too?

Physical_rocks

Reaction score
I'll throw my hat in the ring..76 Deluxe..Love this thing...I got a case of GAS for 76 Wine Deluxe a fella is selling here..he wants 2600 though..a bit over priced if you ask me

DSCF9009.jpg

DSCF9010.jpg

DSCF9003.jpg

Platypus

Reaction score
I've never taken it out. It's one of the best neck pickups I have ever used.

That's what I'd heard. That's why I went with it. I'm STILL waiting for my pots and knobs to arrive though, so I still haven't played this thing through an amplifier yet. :(

moff40

Reaction score
I'll throw my hat in the ring..76 Deluxe..Love this thing...I got a case of GAS for 76 Wine Deluxe a fella is selling here..he wants 2600 though..a bit over priced if you ask me

It depends, I think. Including shipping, I paid $2400 USD (about $2600 CAD at the time) a little over a year ago for the '74 I have. There was also almost $400 in taxes and various FedEx extortion fees. Total $3000 CAD. It's all original, and in really good shape (a few nicks on the corners, and a few swirl marks, but no major marks\wear), so I think it was worth the money at the time. It is now used at home and in the studio only.

I bought a '77 a few months back, to use as a gigging guitar. It was not original, didn't have an original (or even Gibson) case, and had a few battle scars, but was in decent shape. I thought I was getting a deal at only about $1600 USD (including shipping), but the relative value of the US vs CAN dollar had changed, so that translated to $2050 CAD. There were border fees (taxes, etc) of $200 CAD. I expected to have to give it some TLC - a tweak here and there, straplocks, etc. The pickups were microphonic and needed potting (I just pulled them and installed P-90s - $200 CAD), etc. I was going to refret it myself, but the fingerboard had a hump near the tongue and needed to be planed. Call that another $250 CAD for the planing and new frets. That's $2700 CAD for a non-original player.

Lots of Deluxes on Fleabay for between $1500 and $4000 USD, plus at least $100 USD for shipping, plus at least $275 in taxes (GST/PST). $1500+$100+$275=$1875 CAD. Right now, $1000 USD = $1250 CAD, so in the end, even the cheapest Deluxe out there will cost you about $2350.

Relative to my experience, if the wine red Deluxe is in good shape, $2600 CAD isn't that much. Offer the seller $2000 CAD cash and see where it goes...

Platypus

Reaction score
It depends, I think. Including shipping, I paid $2400 USD (about $2600 CAD at the time) a little over a year ago for the '74 I have. There was also almost $400 in taxes and various FedEx extortion fees. Total $3000 CAD. It's all original, and in really good shape (a few nicks on the corners, and a few swirl marks, but no major marks\wear), so I think it was worth the money at the time. It is now used at home and in the studio only.

I bought a '77 a few months back, to use as a gigging guitar. It was not original, didn't have an original (or even Gibson) case, and had a few battle scars, but was in decent shape. I thought I was getting a deal at only about $1600 USD (including shipping), but the relative value of the US vs CAN dollar had changed, so that translated to $2050 CAD. There were border fees (taxes, etc) of $200 CAD. I expected to have to give it some TLC - a tweak here and there, straplocks, etc. The pickups were microphonic and needed potting (I just pulled them and installed P-90s - $200 CAD), etc. I was going to refret it myself, but the fingerboard had a hump near the tongue and needed to be planed. Call that another $250 CAD for the planing and new frets. That's $2700 CAD for a non-original player.

Lots of Deluxes on Fleabay for between $1500 and $4000 USD, plus at least $100 USD for shipping, plus at least $275 in taxes (GST/PST). $1500+$100+$275=$1875 USD. Right now, $1000 USD = $1250 CAD, so in the end, even the cheapest Deluxe out there will cost you about $2350.

Relative to my experience, if the wine red Deluxe is in good shape, $2600 CAD isn't that much. Offer the seller $2000 CAD cash and see where it goes...

I fixed something for you. I think you meant $1875 USD. :D

I'm not gonna tell you what I paid for mine. You'll hate me. :cool:

moff40

Reaction score
I fixed something for you. I think you meant $1875 USD. :D

I'm not gonna tell you what I paid for mine. You'll hate me. :cool:

Thanks for catching and fixing that... :) But I noticed another flaw - the taxes are in CAD, so the math should go $1500+$100 USD=$1600 USD x 1.25 (approx exchange rate) = $2000 CAD + $275 taxes and fees = $2275 CAD. A little less money, but that's what it'd cost for a cheap one off the 'bay... I'd love to be able to find one this side of the border so I can avoid shipping and cross-border taxes, but I have two things going against me: 1./ I'm a lefty, so that limits my choices somewhat. And I always get to pay more for my guitars than a righty, and 2./ I live in a small market, so that limits the choices even more than if I was in Vancouver or Toronto. Sometimes I gotta take what I can get (kinda like some of the girls I dated in high school ;)).

Aww go ahead, tell me what you paid for yours - I won't be upset. In fact, it might be nice to know what they can be had for, if I ever do find one locally.

Platypus

Reaction score
Thanks for catching and fixing that... :) But I noticed another flaw - the taxes are in CAD, so the math should go $1500+$100 USD=$1600 USD x 1.25 (approx exchange rate) = $2000 CAD + $275 taxes and fees = $2275 CAD. A little less money, but that's what it'd cost for a cheap one off the 'bay... I'd love to be able to find one this side of the border so I can avoid shipping and cross-border taxes, but I have two things going against me: 1./ I'm a lefty, so that limits my choices somewhat. And I always get to pay more for my guitars than a righty, and 2./ I live in a small market, so that limits the choices even more than if I was in Vancouver or Toronto. Sometimes I gotta take what I can get (kinda like some of the girls I dated in high school ;)).

Aww go ahead, tell me what you paid for yours - I won't be upset. In fact, it might be nice to know what they can be had for, if I ever do find one locally.

Actually, it wasn't THAT great a deal. Well, I was lucky enough to find one in Canada, which helped a lot. I got the guitar for $1126 US + $49 US shipping. I've spent $200 US on parts, so I'm into it for $1375 US.

The funny thing is, it was listed on Ebay the first time for $899 with a Buy it Now of $1250, and not a single person bid. I couldn't because I was waiting for some cash to come through for something else. So, the seller relisted it starting at $799, and suddenly everyone and his dog was bidding on it. I could have had it for $899, but ended up paying $1,126.

As for the high school girls, I know what you mean, except for me, it was after high school and college that the well got a bit dry. :lol:

moff40

Reaction score
...As for the high school girls, I know what you mean, except for me, it was after high school and college that the well got a bit dry. :lol:

I started playing full time after high school. All those women who wouldn't even talk to me in high school suddenly wanted me. Funny how much more attractive we are with a guitar in our hands and some par 64's shining on us... :cool:

Grand Pappy

Reaction score
" By 1975, the neck construction was changed from mahogany to maple, until the early 1980s, when the construction was returned to mahogany. The body changed back to solid mahogany from the pancake design in late 1976 or early 1977."

There are 2 stamps in the control cavity in my 1976 Deluxe.
First one, under the overspray red transparent finish reads Sept 1976. (When the body was finished I assume?)
The second is stamped on top of the overspray and is Oct. 1976. (Final assembly?)
She's a pancaker, w/ a 3 pc neck and volute.
So, if the pancake went away in late 76, it must have been very late in 76.

moff40

Reaction score
I haven't checked the pickup cavity stamps, but my '74 Deluxe has a pancake body, and my '77 does not. The pancake was definitely gone by 1977, but it may have begun sooner, if it was a phased change.

The cloudy date of change may also be due to the fact that there were two Gibson factories operating at the time (Kalamazoo and Nashville), and both built Les Pauls. One factory may have switched to non-pancake before the other. I'm not sure when all LP construction was moved to Nashville, but Gibson operated the Kalamazoo plant until about 1984.

moff40

Reaction score
Here's mine

A GOW Antique Deluxe Goldtop

img1843pg0.jpg

That is one spectacular guitar! When was that GOTW?

If I could find a left-handed one of those, or a mid-70s's lefty goldtop Deluxe in good shape, and the price was reasonable, I'd be all over it, and I think I'd call my collection complete.

Heavycrap

Reaction score
That is one spectacular guitar! When was that GOTW?

If I could find a left-handed one of those, or a mid-70s's lefty goldtop Deluxe in good shape, and the price was reasonable, I'd be all over it, and I think I'd call my collection complete.

Many thanks.

This Deluxe from the "Guitar of the Week" series was made in february 2007.

There's no left-handed GOTW Deluxe.

It's been a long time i've seen a lefty Deluxe Goldtop ...

I wish you could find it to complete your collection. The Deluxe's are the greatests LP's to me.

Reaction score
OK, just a little update, my trusty Deluxe now has one of the Shed PAF Daddy's I won in the Reeves raffle, and just for kicks I picked up a Nashville tuneamatic and stoptail. VERY different tone than with the Kahler, not necessarily better, but definitely different. The Kahler may go back on someday, but I'm digging it like this for now. The hole is still there, just threw on a makeshift cover plate.

Before....
morepicsagain004.jpg

After...
fiddles2007.jpg

fiddles2006.jpg

fiddles2004.jpg

fiddles2005.jpg

Platypus

Reaction score
Wow, you did a fantastic job matching the finish! From a few feet back, you'd never even know it was there. Great job!! Looks far better without the Kahler. Kahlers have there place, but not on a Les Paul.

Latest Threads