The Les Paul Deluxe Thread

The_Sentry

Reaction score
This thread is dedicated exclusively to the Gibsbon Les Paul Deluxe models, with extra kudos going back to the older run. If someone's already posted one of these threads up in recent weeks, I apologize in advance...but I didn't see one after doing a search.

So anyways....:applause:

Every once in a while I see one of these in the general collection pics. Interesting guitars. And, to be honest....this is all I really know about 'em. (with a blurb from wiki)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp054XcLQ-4&feature=related]YouTube - GIBSON Les Paul DELUXE 1969[/ame]

The Deluxe was among the "new" 1968 Les Pauls.[21] This model featured "mini-humbuckers", also known as "New York" humbuckers, and did not initially prove popular. The mini-humbucker pickup fit into the pre-carved P-90 pickup cavity using an adaptor ring developed by Gibson (actually just a cut-out P90 pickup cover) in order to use a supply of Epiphone mini-humbuckers left over from when Gibson moved Epiphone production to Japan. The Deluxe was introduced in late 1968 and helped to standardize production among Gibson's USA-built Les Pauls. The first incarnation of the Deluxe featured a one-piece body and three-piece neck in late 1968. The "pancake" body (thin layer of maple sandwiched by two layers of Honduran mahogany) came later in 1969. In late 1969, a small "volute" was added. 1969 Deluxe's feature the Gibson logo devoid of the dot over the "i" in Gibson. By late 1969/early 1970, the dot over the "i" had returned, plus a "Made In USA" stamp on the back of the headstock. By 1975, the neck construction was changed from mahogany to maple, until the early 1980s, when the construction was returned to mahogany. The body changed back to solid mahogany from the pancake design in late 1976 or early 1977. Interest in this particular Les Paul model was so low that in 1985, Gibson canceled the line. However, in 2005, the "Deluxe" was reintroduced with more popularity due to its association with Pete Townshend[1].

---------------------------

My take on 'em....they look like clean, no nonsense, no bullshit, tone up in your face guitars. But my question to owners of these beauties...

How do they play?
How do they sound vs. a regular Les Paul?
Were the 2005+ models chambered? (I suspect they were, but I'm not going to assume anything here.)

How long have you had your Deluxe?

Do you recommend those mini humbuckers or some old school soapbars?

Have you got a pic? :dude:

Reaction score
Here's mine, 1977. Bought it from a co-worker around '88 or '89.

Already had the Kahler on it and A Seymour Duncan SM-3 minihumbucker bridge pickup, never did get along with that pickup.

Originally Wine Red, the finish went soft on me, so I stripped her down and decided to try a Gretsch Orange color. Didn't quite get there, but I'm happy with the results.

Round about '96, she got stolen along with all my other guitars, but I was lucky enough to get most of them back. They gouged the hell out of the top, though, that helped me to decide on a refin!

Swapped the SM-3 out for a Duncan '59, much better tone, although I wish now I hadn't routed it! Ah, well! Pickup is now a Duncan Seth Lover, which is similar to the '59, but cuts through the mix better. (Pickup in the shot with the Studio is the Seth, only pic I have of it!)

That's about it, she's my #1, she's never leaving me, and my Godson gets her when I'm gone!

morepicsagain010.jpg

005.jpg

morepicsagain006.jpg

morepicsagain004.jpg

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Awesome Deluxe, Cap'n.

It was actually your guitar that got me started on this whole kick as far as wanting to learn more about 'em. :)

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Aw Jesus that's nice.....:)

How would you compare those mini buckers to a set of soapbars tone-wise?

The_Sentry

Reaction score
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Shit!!!!

So what's the tone difference between the 2? Tell me about 'em.....:dude:

05hummer

Reaction score
Aw Jesus that's nice.....:)

How would you compare those mini buckers to a set of soapbars tone-wise?

Smooth, they really rock and I dont get the squeal like on some with Minni's.. Even in high gain they are quiet and not muddy at all, very defined note definition...

My pro deluxe does not take the gain as well and gets muddy when the gain is turned up.. Clean and crunch mode it sounds great.

Now my R6 with p90s sounds killer with gain.. Go figure...

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Smooth, they really rock and I dont get the squeal like on some with Minni's.. Even in high gain they are quiet and not muddy at all, very defined note definition...

My pro deluxe does not take the gain as well and gets muddy when the gain is turned up.. Clean and crunch mode it sounds great.

Now my R6 with p90s sounds killer with gain.. Go figure...

Thanks. I was really curious about this because I've seen some with the soapbars, and some with the mini's. That '78 looks almost brand new from this angle. (that sunburst also looks great on both guitars!)

Thanks for posting 'em!

:thumb:

PS: What's the avg weight on one of these? I know my Norlin-era custom is a beast...are these close? Or, are they a bit lighter?

05hummer

Reaction score
Thank you, actually both guitars are in super great shape.. Just my bad camera skills make them look shitty.. Both weigh in at around 9.3LBs. Not bad for norlins.. They are out there if you look. Not all norlins are boat anchors, even my customs are only a little over 10 lbs..

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Thank you, actually both guitars are in super great shape.. Just my bad camera skills make them look shitty.. Both weigh in at around 9.3LBs. Not bad for norlins.. They are out there if you look. Not all norlins are boat anchors, even my customs are only a little over 10 lbs..

Oh, I don't know...I'm kinda attached to my boat anchor. :)

But 9.3 pounds isn't bad at all. I think that's well worth carrying the weight if your'e being rewarded with amazing tone...

backline

Reaction score
I've never actually owned a Deluxe, only played 'em in stores.
But I'm a fan of them, and mini-humbuckers generally.

One of the finest guitars I ever gigged with was a friend's ol' US Epiphone (Riviera?) w mini-humbuckers. Man, you could do anything on that guitar! Jazz-Rock-Blues-Country, you name it, and without walking over to your amp to adjust either. Amazing (as I remember it).

EEF13

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Les Paul Deluxe and i have to say that i never heard such a great sounding neck pickups in all uses, tho i did swap out the bridge pickup for something hotter like the sm-2 mini humbucker by duncan and a p90 super distortion by dimarzio

John Vasco

I was with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's my '76 Deluxe:

And here I am playing it at a jam a few days ago:

How does it play? great for rhythm playing with its low frets.
Sounds? Absolutely blows away my LP Custom for clean sounds. The Custom overdrives far better for soloing.
I gig with both LPs, through a Mesa Boogie 5:25 for smaller gigs, and an F-50 for bigger venues.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Dude....that's just....awesome!!! That guitar looks brand new!!!

OMG...I could actually...play that guitar!!! :wow:

Seriously...she's a real beauty! Amazing.....(PS: Would you mind if I posted one of her pics in my social group? I'm trying to create this drool gallery for lefties on it.)

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Thanks John. I started a group, "Southpaw City" on MLP and that's where I'm stashing all of these dirty pictahs!!! :naughty:

And I gotta comment on this...

76&

Damn man....that's a real beauty! I'm usually kinda lukewarm on the wine reds when I first see 'em...but not that one!!

That wood grain just sets that guitar off! What a looker! (and nah, I won't even say a damned word about that whole wrappin' the strings over the stop bar....:p )

huntington76er

Reaction score
1975 deluxe with mahogany neck. best sounding and playing paul I've had. larry

Latest Threads