The Les Paul Custom is back!!! - Black Beauty 2019 - EBONY fingerboard returns!!!

519tbarr

Reaction score
Finally!!!
When I was a kid I absolutely loved the Les Paul Custom - Black Beauty. The standard old black beauty that was always available with an ebony fingerboard. I was just watching the new Anderton's video and the Gibson Rep says Ebony has returned to these guitars! That excites me immensely. There is nothing more beautiful that a Les Paul Custom in Ebony - brand new shiny out of the box. And the return to Ebony means I will be buying one finally. I have not owned a LPC since probably the early 90's.
Kudo's Gibson - you have listened to the fan base and buyer base and I expect this will be a very good year fiscally for Gibson.
Enjoy the video folks!

irocdave12

Reaction score
How sobering is it that the previous management screwed things up so bad that the Custom getting ebony back as standard fare got lost in the backround of all the other conversations of problems getting corrected? Any other day the return of ebony would be breaking news. Looks like the new guys running things have thought things out so throughly about every complaint or negative regarding Gibson guitars we've all expressed they even are addressing their Gibson brand straps. Looks to me like there is a new one. A Nubuck material strap, I'm guessing is meant to address the SG and Firebird neck dive issue ?

yamariv

Reaction score
Just saw the video too, Gibson is finally doing what people want all over the range! Good job Gibson!:cheers2: The New Standard line with 59 and 60 models is brilliant!

Now the best news of the day is Gibson getting rid of Richlite on the Custom! I know all the arguments for an against it but I seriously want all wood guitars and that matters to me. I've always wanted a black beauty but hesitated on buy a new one solely cause of the Richlite. Maybe now it's time to start saving my Pennies for a new Custom :naughty:

Justin_Case

Reaction score
Let's see what the Up Charge will be over the Richlite.

moreles

Reaction score
Gee -- maybe all those Richlite guitars will become rare collectables! After all, Richlite is "good enough," and apparently that was the standard Gibson descended to. Glad to see they're getting back to doing things well, with premium materials to match their prices. A Custom with an ebony board -- perfect.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's see what the Up Charge will be over the Richlite.
I was going to have a made-to-measure guitar built by the Custom Shop with an ebony board. The upcharge was $1,300 over rosewood. But, a Les Paul looks best with a beautiful black ebony board, IMHO.

Justin_Case

Reaction score
$1300?? I hope it comes with a bottle of Astro Glide!

yamariv

Reaction score
I was going to have a made-to-measure guitar built by the Custom Shop with an ebony board. The upcharge was $1,300 over rosewood. But, a Les Paul looks best with a beautiful black ebony board, IMHO.
You've got to be kidding right!?? :wow:

I bet the price difference if any to buy a Rosewood board vs an Ebony might be 20-30 dollar Max at their bulk costs. Wouldn't be surprised if there was no difference in price.. I don't buy wood so maybe I'm wrong ;)

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
No yamariv, you are spot on. If you look at Stew-Mack's fingerboards, there is about a $20 difference between rosewood and ebony.

jcm800

Reaction score
And to think they use to put ebony on studios....lol

gball

Reaction score
I actually kind of wish the Custom would go back to being a USA model instead of CS.

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
Good thing they're ditching the "model year" system - because I can only afford one major gear purchase a year, and a new Marshall Studio head will be this year's purchase.

Zentar

Reaction score
It will be a better business climate for Curleigh. Gibson workers will not be hurded into corners by armed Stazi. No wood will be stolen by the government. DOJ won't be levying million dollar fines for unspecified violations.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I like rich lite...

And I’ll see myself as I know my MLPers hate it...

-Chris

irocdave12

Reaction score
This won't be a popular statement with the owners, but with this announcement of ebony returned to the Custom I'd say the resale value of the Richlite versions of the past few years just took a major kick in the coconuts. Or perhaps it helps their value being semi unique similar to the Custom Classics with the baked maple boards which held value nicely. What ya think yea or nay?

ddh101

Reaction score
It will be a better business climate for Curleigh. Gibson workers will not be hurded into corners by armed Stazi. No wood will be stolen by the government. DOJ won't be LEVY-ing million dollar fines for unspecified violations.
Curleigh came from Levy’s. So subliminal. Good one.

Latest Threads