The Impending Gibson USA Slash

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The long neck tenon is one of the things that Slash requires on all of his sig models - which is great. I wish they'd just bring it back in to regular use - instead of letting the custom shop monopolize on it and charge an arm and a leg for it and a pair for $50 bumblebee caps (that cost Gibson about $2 I'd guess)... :D I'm not saying that those are the only differences between USA models and Historics, but those are definitely two of the big ones - and add up to a couple thousand bucks on the buyer's end. Very good to see the long tenon reaching the average joe again.

alexx

Reaction score
"The long neck tenon is one of the things that Slash requires on all of his sig models - which is great."
Interesting that Slash´s main guitar was a 1987 model (short tennon)...

nemo87

Reaction score
"The long neck tenon is one of the things that Slash requires on all of his sig models - which is great."
Interesting that Slash´s main guitar was a 1987 model (short tennon)...

yes but diceman was on about his SIG models.. his 'main guitar in 1987' wasn a SIG model..!

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting point - long tenon on his sig models but not his main axe!

alexx

Reaction score
"yes but diceman was on about his SIG models.. his 'main guitar in 1987' wasn a SIG model..!"
Well, I know that!!!!:) But his "SIGNATURE SOUND" was not created with these overpriced signature guitars....,that´s what I´m trying to tell here.
The beautiful tone that we hear in "sweet child o´mine", for example, comes from a REPLICA (But I have to admit that this copy has a long tennon...)
http://www.slashsworld.com/equipment/slashs-87-les-paul/
http://www.slashsworld.com/equipment/59-les-paul-replica-built-by-chris-derrig/
:slash:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Slash on an Epiphone Special would blow me out of the water, even if I were playing a high end Gibson. :D He did have an original '58 Burst though - my history isn't perfect, but I think he got it from Joe Perry (I read that here somewhere)? That guitar is in Beauty of the Burst - SN 8 3096. Probably worth $400,000 or so (some might say overpriced :D - I just wish I had one!).

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FYI: Slash did NOT make it a requirement that a long tenon be on his sig models.

On another note: Many Epi LP's already HAVE a big long tenon.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Inside Guy - Why did Gibson elect to go long tenon on the Slash models and not on some of the other high end Gibsons? So, the USA model Slash Standard is going to have a long tenon when the other Standards don't? Epis, Elitists, Slash models, and Historics have them - but the regular Gibson line is still going with the short tenon. I'm a little confused.

tarddoggy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FYI: Slash did NOT make it a requirement that a long tenon be on his sig models.

hey I clicked on the zzsounds link and it said the Slash model was not available???:confused:

nemo87

Reaction score
does the long tennon actually make that much of a difference..?

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it does - not that I'm an expert. I do have the long tenon in my Epi Elitist. Intuitively, it looks like it should:

Long_VS_Short_Tenon.jpg

I notice somewhat better sustain (hard to be sure w/out doing a side-by-side comparison), and a substantial (no doubt about it) difference in felt resonance through the body of my Elitist as compared to the Gibson LP Studio that I had.

alexx

Reaction score
"hey I clicked on the zzsounds link and it said the Slash model was not available???"
I think it´s not for sell yet.....:naughty:

alexx

Reaction score
"Slash did NOT make it a requirement that a long tenon be on his sig models. "
Who told you that,dude? Are you sure?

v8ko

Reaction score

Any of the Elite series I believe have them and of course the Slash model.

Latest Threads