The hunt for the Dumble in a box

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are two Dumble clones in the market I had the opportunity to try for a while and I think both are excellent:

1. Ceriatone HRM
2. Bludotone (I don't remember the model, sorry)

I too have a Zendrive, and the only thing preventing me from sounding like Robben Ford going into the Twin is ME. :cool:
As I mentioned to Nico, excellent amps, but they don't really sound the same as the real thing. Credit where credit is due, they have all the versatility of a real Dumble, in terms of giving the player precise control over the gain and the same tone stack design, but the sound just isn't the same.

I know Robben Ford personally uses the Zendrive to approximate the sound of his rig, and yes, an ODS can totally sound like that. But that's literally just one setting used by one guy; the amp itself can do things that are so far outside of the Zendrive's curve, that it's a poor example, in my opinion.

Same goes for youtube clips; they're so compressed and so much audio data has been lost in the process, that the end result is very, very far from what you would hear in the room with the actual amp.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
A dirt cheap Chinese copy of an OCD with a couple of fairly pointless mods fooled the entirety of TGP into believing it was the latest/greatest DiaB. You can get the pedal for about $30, and the only real mod was replacing a capacitor. The only other thing the seller did to the pedal was tack a resistor to each pot so that the settings would appear drastically different than those of a stock pedal. Or, you could just get an OCD, and run it at very low gain levels and fiddle with the settings.

LtKojak

Reaction score
I know Robben Ford personally uses the Zendrive to approximate the sound of his rig, and yes, an ODS can totally sound like that. But that's literally just one setting used by one guy; the amp itself can do things that are so far outside of the Zendrive's curve
FWIW, Larry Carlton is touring as we speak with a Bludotone.

Not so long ago I've seen him live at the Blue Note here, and I was surprised to not see his Dumble, but the Bludotone instead... he sounded great anyway! ;)

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
My point stands, Nico, you've never heard a real Dumble, have you? No. I owned one for over 15 years. Not a clone, the real deal.

Bludo, Fuchs, Two Rock, and Ceriatone make some nice amps, but they do NOT sound exactly like Dumbles. In the ballpark, but none a home run.

The only amp I've ever heard that really sounds like a Dumble isn't even an exact clone of his ODS circuit. :laugh2: Brown Note D'Lite, as I noted upthread.

Trying to pass yourself off as an expert in a subject you know nothing about is as good an example of trolling as I've ever seen. Knock it off, man; go find a thread about something you have actual experience with, like relicing and refinishing guitars. :wave:
A trust your judgment and no i have not tried a Dumble as the majority of people i based my opinion with the many audio files and videos of Dumble amps out there.

I have never mentioned or even assumed i´m an expert on the subject as you are trying to make it look like, but i really trust my ears as you trust yours, thats all.

I´m not trolling, its just you that have a problem which what ever opinion i have to say on what ever subject i touch.:thumb:

I stand still, i like the tone of TwoRock amps for a Dumble tone.:cool:

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Larry Carlton is touring as we speak with a Bludotone.

Not so long ago I've seen him live at the Blue Note here, and I was surprised to not see his Dumble, but the Bludotone instead... he sounded great anyway! ;)
Ya, he's a fantastic player, huh? I much prefer him to Robben Ford as an example of what can be done with an ODS, but the guy who really shows off what can be done is David Lindley, one of Dumble's first A-list clients.

I'd prolly do the same thing as those guys are doing; use the 40k amp at the recording studio, and tour with something that gets in the ballpark. With only 300 or so actual Dumbles in existence, they're much rarer than '59 Les Pauls, and credit where credit is due, Two Rock, Fuchs, and Bludo are fantastic sounding amps. :thumb:

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A dirt cheap Chinese copy of an OCD with a couple of fairly pointless mods fooled the entirety of TGP into believing it was the latest/greatest DiaB. You can get the pedal for about $30, and the only real mod was replacing a capacitor. The only other thing the seller did to the pedal was tack a resistor to each pot so that the settings would appear drastically different than those of a stock pedal. Or, you could just get an OCD, and run it at very low gain levels and fiddle with the settings.
That thread was on my mind when I posted. Given the rarity of real Dumbles, and the scarcity of quality of audio clips on youtube, about the only place to get any real sense of what they sound like is on the albums of guys who use them; even then, it's still a mic'd amp, and we all know the difference between what the mic picks up and what's going on in the room with the amp.

Or, so I would hope. :laugh2:

A trust your judgment and no i have not tried a Dumble as the majority of people i based my opinion with the many audio files and videos of Dumble amps out there.

I have never mentioned or even assumed i´m an expert on the subject as you are trying to make it look like, but i really trust my ears as you trust yours, thats all.

I´m not trolling, its just you that have a problem which what ever opinion i have to say on what ever subject i touch.:thumb:

I stand still, i like the tone of TwoRock amps for a Dumble tone.:cool:
Ya, I'm probably being overly harsh on you Nico; you're a professional, and I hold you to a higher standard than I would if you were a hobbyist. That, and I know you can take it. :laugh2:

Sorry all the same if I just shit on your morning, and much respect to ya. :D

Remember that thread where we crossed each other on how much difference lacquer makes? You described the difference as "major", and I said "minor"; prolly a similar thing going on here; all of the clones, including the Ceriatone, are FANTASTIC amps, much better to my ear than any Marshall-type. That's just preference, really, but my point is, to my ear, the difference between the clones and a real Dumble is "major", whereas to others it might seem "minor", and both points of view on either subject are largely the result of personal experience, and totally valid. Good times. :thumb:

Ermghoti

Reaction score
That thread was on my mind when I posted. Given the rarity of real Dumbles, and the scarcity of quality of audio clips on youtube, about the only place to get any real sense of what they sound like is on the albums of guys who use them; even then, it's still a mic'd amp, and we all know the difference between what the mic picks up and what's going on in the room with the amp.

Or, so I would hope. :laugh2:
All true, plus, the Dumble sound has been rendered one-dimensional; everyone is seeking the Robin Trower/SRV overdrive tone. A good Dumble can do a hell of lot more than that. (From what I've heard... don't have a spare $40k in my couch cushions)

ETA: Didn't see you were an owner... congrats! Enjoy your crystalline lettuce :lol:

joeobrien

Reaction score
That said, I really like the Zendrive and the Wampler Ecstasy. Probably would choose the Ecstasy if I was wanting a D-style pedal in my rig - but I do tend to like and favor Wampler pedals so there might be some bias there, not sure. :D
Hi there gibsonguitar, I bought the Wampler Ecstasy pedal a while back and can't get it to sound right. Roughly, how are your settings? Mine are V 11.00, T 5.00, B 2.00, G 4.00. I have a feeling they're not quite right...

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All true, plus, the Dumble sound has been rendered one-dimensional; everyone is seeking the Robin Trower/SRV overdrive tone. A good Dumble can do a hell of lot more than that. (From what I've heard... don't have a spare $40k in my couch cushions)

ETA: Didn't see you were an owner... congrats! Enjoy your crystalline lettuce :lol:
:lol:

Former owner; sold mine in 08, right when the economy tanked; I got laid off, lost my home, and had to make ends meet. In all honesty, the ODS has a serious flaw, at least for my taste: the clean channel is very sterile compared to an old Fender, and that's the essence of my sound, the cleanish stuff. I like swirly and sparkly, and the ODS was just perfectly clean. Too perfect, if that makes sense. :shock:

You just got me to thinking, do people think Dumble when they hear SRV? He didn't have an ODS, he used the SSS, which was built to stay clean almost all the way up, much like a Twin Reverb does. His OD tone was mostly powertube saturation and a Tube Screamer. You see where I'm going with that thought, right? :hmm:

Mayo5

Reaction score
I liked the BB. Great playing.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Thanks all for the weigh in. For reference, I've been listening to Carlton / Ford for 30+ years, and also been in the room with a few real DBs over the years. I don't expect to be able to get more than a "reminds me of a Dumble" in a pedal (even the Ethos which is bordering more on a head minus the power supply). I just want something that gets something similar to the tone / touch sensitivity of the ODS and clones. I was surprised that the Zendrive did not blow me away compared to the BB. To be fair I only had a week to mess with it so it's possible that I just didn't find the sweet spot. I also spent a few days with it through my DRRI which I thought would be a great combination, but again for my tone I prefer the BB. It's just a smoother overdrive for my purposes, and combines very well with my TS-9 and BK Tube overdrive. I've heard other folks get great tones out of the Zendrive so I know it's a great pedal. I think it's just not my thing...

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Hi there gibsonguitar, I bought the Wampler Ecstasy pedal a while back and can't get it to sound right. Roughly, how are your settings? Mine are V 11.00, T 5.00, B 2.00, G 4.00. I have a feeling they're not quite right...
Hi!

I currently do not own an Ecstasy as I really have no need for the Dumblesque sound in my rig (just not my thing) but I have played through them a few times in stores. I think it just takes some tweaking of the knobs and getting it to work right with your amp and guitar. The Ecstasy is an excellent transparent overdrive that is the closest I've heard personally to that SRV/Larry Carlton/Robben Ford tone I've heard. It really has that Dumble style tone. I'm not saying it's a Dumble in a box, but it definitely reminds me of that tone.

My suggestion is to just keep playing around with it. I have Wampler's Paisley Drive and I love it to death and plan to get his Hot Wired soon which is a dual button OD/Distortion combo and also the Black '65 which is his cranked-blackface-in-a-box pedal and he's working on a Tweed pedal too which will have that cranked Fender Tweed sound. I love Brian's stuff - super nice guy and makes top notch pedals. My favorite pedal builder to date. Out of the 12 overdrives I have on my board, the Paisley is my favorite to this day. :)

Ermghoti

Reaction score
:lol:

Former owner; sold mine in 08, right when the economy tanked; I got laid off, lost my home, and had to make ends meet. In all honesty, the ODS has a serious flaw, at least for my taste: the clean channel is very sterile compared to an old Fender, and that's the essence of my sound, the cleanish stuff. I like swirly and sparkly, and the ODS was just perfectly clean. Too perfect, if that makes sense. :shock:
Ah, condolences, then. Still, it sounds like you were able to offload an item of dubious value to you when you needed cash, basically, you withdrew from an investment.

You just got me to thinking, do people think Dumble when they hear SRV? He didn't have an ODS, he used the SSS, which was built to stay clean almost all the way up, much like a Twin Reverb does. His OD tone was mostly powertube saturation and a Tube Screamer. You see where I'm going with that thought, right? :hmm:
I know he bought a Steel String Singer, I thought the house amp he borrowed to record Texas Flood was an ODS, but I may have made that up just now.

But, yeah, mid-hump OD into a good Fender run clean is 90% of the result at 5% of the price.

LtKojak

Reaction score
Former owner; sold mine in 08, right when the economy tanked; I got laid off, lost my home, and had to make ends meet.
Man, you have NO IDEA how I feel for you having to let that Dumble go even if you didn't feel 100% YOU in the clean dept. Tears are coming out of my eyes as i type.

With this and having seen you build the Monsterbucker, I can make it official:

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! :cool:

Yours very truly,

LtKojak

Reaction score
I've been listening to Carlton / Ford for 30+ years, and also been in the room with a few real DBs over the years. I don't expect to be able to get more than a "reminds me of a Dumble" in a pedal (even the Ethos which is bordering more on a head minus the power supply).
Looks like you and I will get along just fine... ;)

I just want something that gets something similar to the tone / touch sensitivity of the ODS and clones. I was surprised that the Zendrive did not blow me away compared to the BB. To be fair I only had a week to mess with it so it's possible that I just didn't find the sweet spot. I also spent a few days with it through my DRRI which I thought would be a great combination, but again for my tone I prefer the BB. It's just a smoother overdrive for my purposes, and combines very well with my TS-9 and BK Tube overdrive. I've heard other folks get great tones out of the Zendrive so I know it's a great pedal. I think it's just not my thing...
Well, the one with the Zendrive sounded a lot more Dumblish than the second one with the BB. But I could hear in the playing that you enjoyed more the second one...

As you're saying you like the BB better, then it makes me think that you like the way the Dumble BEHAVES more than the tone produced.

Don't worry, you're not the only one that would like to sound like this, but when you try to explain, it just sounds dumb: "Hey, how can I have the sound of a Dumble without having the tone of a Dumble?"

See what I mean? :cool:

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Man, you have NO IDEA how I feel for you having to let that Dumble go even if you didn't feel 100% YOU in the clean dept. Tears are coming out of my eyes as i type.

With this and having seen you build the Monsterbucker, I can make it official:

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! :cool:

Yours very truly,
I don't think you realize how big a part you played in making the Monsterbucker happen. You and Captain Tightpants pretty much schooled me on the whole subject of pickups. I owe you some beers, that's for sure. :thumb:

I think I'd be far more upset about having to sell my vintage Deluxe than I was about selling the Dumble. Pretty much my entire rig now was funded with that sale, plus I lived off the proceeds for a good while, as well. My son prefers amps with a ruder kinda overdrive, so I don't even regret it on that angle, either, as a family keepsake.

The Ethos is a much more sensible approach for me to get that lovely overdrive sound; it gets right up in there. At some point, I'll likely buy a Brown Note, but that's not even a priority. A Rude Mood for stage work is on my short list of amps. And, God help me, I've been wanting a Strat lately. :shock:

Anyways, back to the OP's thread. :laugh2: He's heard the real deal, and he's made some comments about how the BB responds to his playing. That's a huge part of the equation, and honestly, more important than the sound, per se. If THAT's where the magic is at for him, I would suggest giving the Blackstone a thorough going over; I was astonished by how well it responded to my touch, but it IS another one of those fussy pedals, with strange controls, some of which are mounted inside the chassis.

If the BB is doing it, sounds to me like our man has already found his solution, tho. Doesn't hurt that he can play right, either; ain't no substitute for that. :applause:

b3john

Reaction score
When I think of SRV, I think of a tube screamer into a loud, high headroom amp. It's like the anti-Dumble. Completely different, but great in it's own right.

Mattdive

Reaction score
Check out the RF Drive over at Wattkins Amp Forums. It's loosely based on the Zendrive circuit, but with some simple changes. Right now, it's a DIY project, but you might be able to find someone on the forum who could build it for you at a very reasonable price. I'm in the process of building one now, so I can't say what it sounds like yet, but the guys on the forum rave about it.

http://wattkins.com/node/15621

Latest Threads