The hell is going on here

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit more on the horse story... It was many many years ago when I read C&P, but is sure stuck in my mind.

"The passage in question occurs early on in Dostoevsky’s great work Crime and Punishment. Raskolnikov, who will imminently butcher two old ladies with an axe, is anxiously laid up in bed. In a scene that foreshadows the guilt-ridden and hallucinatory fits that will plague him after the murder takes place, he falls into a disturbing dream. Raskolnikov sees himself as a young boy, walking through a provincial town with his father. Outside a pub, a drunken rabble surrounds a weary old horse, hitched to a weighty cartload that it cannot possibly pull. To the delight of the cheering mob, the horse is beaten by its owner (“so brutally, so brutally, sometimes even across the eyes and muzzle”). Men climb into the cart to weigh it down further, and the owner continues to whip and to shout “Gee-up!” When someone speaks up against the violence, he merely yells “My property, my property!”

Raskolnikov, in the voice of a child, pleads with the men to stop. Crying, he runs forward and looks the horse directly in the eye, and in doing so, is caught by a lash from the whip. As the cruelty escalates and the horse collapses, it becomes clear that it will die. Raskolnikov throws his arms around the bloodied muzzle and kisses it around the eyes, calling in vain for the barbarism to stop. His father scoops him up and drags him away from the horse, against his will, and suddenly Raskolnikov awakes, cold and sweating. He understands the significance of the dream, and understands that he himself was at once the child, the flogged horse, and the man with the whip. Nevertheless, he rises, dresses, and prepares to commit murder."

pnuggett

Reaction score
A bit more on the horse story... It was many many years ago when I read C&P, but is sure stuck in my mind.

"The passage in question occurs early on in Dostoevsky’s great work Crime and Punishment. Raskolnikov, who will imminently butcher two old ladies with an axe, is anxiously laid up in bed. In a scene that foreshadows the guilt-ridden and hallucinatory fits that will plague him after the murder takes place, he falls into a disturbing dream. Raskolnikov sees himself as a young boy, walking through a provincial town with his father. Outside a pub, a drunken rabble surrounds a weary old horse, hitched to a weighty cartload that it cannot possibly pull. To the delight of the cheering mob, the horse is beaten by its owner (“so brutally, so brutally, sometimes even across the eyes and muzzle”). Men climb into the cart to weigh it down further, and the owner continues to whip and to shout “Gee-up!” When someone speaks up against the violence, he merely yells “My property, my property!”

Raskolnikov, in the voice of a child, pleads with the men to stop. Crying, he runs forward and looks the horse directly in the eye, and in doing so, is caught by a lash from the whip. As the cruelty escalates and the horse collapses, it becomes clear that it will die. Raskolnikov throws his arms around the bloodied muzzle and kisses it around the eyes, calling in vain for the barbarism to stop. His father scoops him up and drags him away from the horse, against his will, and suddenly Raskolnikov awakes, cold and sweating. He understands the significance of the dream, and understands that he himself was at once the child, the flogged horse, and the man with the whip. Nevertheless, he rises, dresses, and prepares to commit murder."

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
"On 3 January 1889, Nietzsche suffered a mental breakdown. Two policemen approached him after he caused a public disturbance in the streets of Turin. What happened remains unknown, but an often-repeated tale from shortly after his death states that Nietzsche witnessed the flogging of a horse at the other end of the Piazza Carlo Alberto, ran to the horse, threw his arms around its neck to protect it, then collapsed to the ground."

I have always wondered about that. I don't know if you've read Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky, but the book includes five dream and passages. One of the, which is the very first one in the book has always reminded me of the story you wrote there. I've wondered if there's any connection. Here it goes, the scene is early in the book and Raskolnikov has been planning his crime and out and about ranting to himself. He gets to a tavern and drinks and later on passes out underneath a tree and sleeps awhile.

"He dreams that he is back in his childhood, seven years old, and as he is walking with his father, he sees a drunken peasant trying to make his old horse pull a heavy wagon full of people. When the crowd laughs at him and the ridiculous spectacle, the peasant gets angry and begins beating the old, feeble horse. He beats so ferociously that others join in the "fun." Finally they begin to use crowbars and iron shafts. The old horse at first tries to resist, but soon it falls down dead. The boy in the dream, feeling great compassion for the stricken and dead mare, throws his arms around the beast and kisses it. All through the dream the peasant owner is screaming that the mare was his and he had a right to do whatever he wanted to with her."

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score

I read your post and started to type mine about Crime and Punishment, then I got hung up in a phone call. When I finally got to finish my post I see that you've written about the same exact dream in the book :laugh2:

:cheers2:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"On 3 January 1889, Nietzsche suffered a mental breakdown. Two policemen approached him after he caused a public disturbance in the streets of Turin. What happened remains unknown, but an often-repeated tale from shortly after his death states that Nietzsche witnessed the flogging of a horse at the other end of the Piazza Carlo Alberto, ran to the horse, threw his arms around its neck to protect it, then collapsed to the ground."

"God is dead." - Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." - God

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
You stupid idiots....

Nietzsche played linebacker for the Packers back in the 60s. He wasn't tacklin' no horses, he was tacklin' Bears, Lions, and Vikings and makin' them cry, you pieces of shit!

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
You stupid idiots....

Nietzsche played linebacker for the Packers back in the 60s. He wasn't tacklin' no horses, he was tacklin' Bears, Lions, and Vikings and makin' them cry, you pieces of shit!
Aaaah that would explain all the hashish, opium, potassium bromide (a sedative and anticonvulsant) and chloral hydrate (for the treatment of insomnia).

Latest Threads