The guitars I wish I'd hung on to....

RedBetts

Reaction score
Back when I was in college in the early 70's I came home for the holidays my sophomore year to learn that my dad had sold my old Strat in a garage sale for $25 bucks. It was a 66. It took me a long time to get over that and as the years passed and Strats climbed in value it became harder to get passed it...but I eventually did. A couple of years ago I told my dad, (he's 81 now) what that old Strat would be worth if it was still around today. He smiled and said the buyer had offered him $20 bucks and he managed to talk the deal up to $25 by throwing in the case. He thought he got a great deal at the time. Go figure.

Many years later I sold an early edition 59 RI LP to a friend for what I had paid for it. I needed the money to buy something else...something I also don't have around today...I think it was a 335...but I ran into the guy a few years after that and he told me he had gotten $10 grand for that Les Paul from a Japanese buyer at the local guitar show.

I can only think of those two guitars being ones that I wish I'd hung on to. All the others I let go of were nothing special...just guitars. One of my best friends still has a 78 Strat I sold him for $400 bucks in 79....exactly what I'd paid for it. It's worth a lot more now, but it doesn't bother me cause it's in the hands of a great player and a great friend. And I get to visit it every now and then.

SGMM

Reaction score
Have sold MANY guitars....& miss some of them too....but not because of what they may be worth now....sold 'em for what they were worth at the time!!

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Don't have regrets about things that happened 30 years ago. If you'd invested that $25 the next day with Warren Buffett what would that be worth now?

See? You ain't so smart yourself!:laugh2::laugh2:

GibsonByBirth

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't this the same as the thread from last week, "guitars you regret selling"?

Latest Threads