The Gibson Firebird 70’s Tribute Studio - Yea or nay?

Gary

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I’ll be returning the guitar. I had noticed a hairline crack in the finish round the neck joint, where it joins the body. At first I attributed it to dry air conditions. However, I detect some neck movement in that area. Too bad as it is a great sounding guitar. :(

Last edited:

wmachine

Reaction score
What is the actual difference between a thru and set once the glue cures? Nada.
Your opinion.
Regardless, I still maintain it is not "a cheaper bird" if by cheapening it up, you take away what makes a bird a bird. That's pretty much common sense.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Your opinion.
Regardless, I still maintain it is not "a cheaper bird" if by cheapening it up, you take away what makes a bird a bird. That's pretty much common sense.
Just my opinion, true... Yours is just as valid as mine....

I know my opinion and a buck-fitty will buy me a cup of good gas station coffee too.... ;)

I formed my opinion over years and years of wrapping hands on countless guitars of all types. In my experience, I've had all three types blow many opinions I had out of the water.... In my opinion from my experience, it makes no difference with a correct build out of quality consistent wood blanks....

What actually makes a 'bird a 'bird? I think it is more than how the neck is attached. A properly prepared and glued neck is just as good as a neck thru and just as good as a bolt if the pocket and neck ass end is perfectly true...The screws makes a 'true' join like one piece. Lots more bolt necked acoustics out there that will take your breath away than one would think.... and an acoustic top has a bunch of pieces of wood underneath....glued on... and yes, I have...

I think a set neck 'bird with the same mass, some pickups in the same place, good consistent wood, will sound and play like a bird. Glued and cured under pressure properly will join two into a singular system... The only Lesters that ain't technically plywood are the old hog slab Lesters...that still play and sound like Lesters...

Norlin made Lesters with more slabs vertically. They used two hog slabs with a maple slab on top. Sounded like Lesters and played like Lesters... Some of the most resonant guitars I've played were Teles.... Imagine that.... Vibrated like one single chunk of wood....entire mass of guitar... Sounded just like a Tele but sustained like magic. Bolts. Same with some Strats...

Soooo, in my opinion, one thing about neck through is less likelihood of mismatch due to center being one piece. What it does not do is negate the possibility of mismatch as one piece of wood is not necessarily consistent from end to end. No two pieces of wood even from the same tree are identical either....

To me what makes a 'bird is that shape, that mass, those pickups in those specific places in relation to geography of the rez string system, and that scale.... Just like any other guitar. Tele, Lester, Skrat, etc...

Some folks dog Epi Lesters because of the number of chunks to form the hog slab and same horizontally to form the maple slab. Can be several more than a Gibson Lester.... Sounds and plays just like a Lester... One could take several Gib and Epis, sock the heads and blindfold players and not a damn one will reliably pick out which is which playing em....

Playing a Martin green guts with their plywood neck from hell will blow a lot of preconceived notions right out of the water too.... Sounds and plays like a typical Martin dread...

Folks bitched about the two hog slabs and maple slab Norlin Lesters... Didn't seem to bother those folks that recorded hits with em back then.... Sounded the same, played the same... 'Original 50's Gibson didn't do that so they suck.' Ok den...

Similar argument when Gib came out with Lester Studios... No fancy nuttin....no binding.... "Ain't a Lester because it ain't done like the originals. They suck.' Ok den....

I have yet to hear binding or nibs or inlays...

What makes a Lester has changed over the years... Hog necks, lami maple necks, ebony board, rose boards, maple boards, BBQ maple boards, granadillo boards, bakelite boards... Still Lesters in both playability and sound... and all kinds of different pickups.... Still sounds like Lesters...

I think the same would be true of 'birds... Regardless of set or thru...or bolt.... Everything else the same and it is a 'bird... In my opinion...

Just some points to ponder.... or not...

:)

Last edited:

kungpow!

Reaction score
If it plays and sounds good, who cares. Ask them to take another 50 off.

I got one of these. In black. I added reflector knobs. Left the mini hums. Might've changed the pots and caps. It's a fun, good sounding guitar. Brighter sounding. And it does have fat neck, which I need. Lotta birds have a thin neck. If you don't mind the stripped down, maybe econo feel, get it. I bought mine new for twice that.

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That silverburst on a Firebird looks sweet.

My very first electric was a Firebird III, so I’m very partial to them. All this neck through body talk is understandable. I get it. My first was a bolt on Epiphone. But the real blasphemy to me with Firebird variations in the past ten years, is the way they changed the pick guard from not being flush with the raised middle plank. That Explorer type pick guard where it raises between the pickups is bullshit.

This is what a Firebird pick guard should look like:

NOT THIS:

AND NOT THIS:

When those silverburst Tributes came out, I would have bought it immediately if it had the correct flush pick guard.

studio1087

Reaction score
I'm late in the game. I love mine. The narrow humbuckers are of course dead quiet and very plucky and when you play both at the same time with their wide spacing they sound huge. It's an amazing clean guitar. Huge with both pickups. They're also as comfy as a Strat....perhaps more so. The neck profile gets fatter as you play farther and farther up the neck which feels great on my left hand as I play faster and farther up the neck. I understand that it's not a puritanical Bird but I love this thing dirty or spanky clean.

Last edited:

My Les Paul Classifieds