The Gibson Firebird 70’s Tribute Studio - Yea or nay?

Gary

Reaction score
Spotted this is a store today and it caught my eye. Very light weight and in great condition. A steal of a price. Were these decent guitars? It is a 2012 with baked maple fretboard. Opinions?

4D04E288-4FB9-491C-8CF7-5DC1E97DA739.jpeg

MSB

Reaction score
I had the LP, great guitar, I would snap up a FB one if I came across one.

could always put in p-90s if the minis weren't your thing, neither of which would be bad imo

wmachine

Reaction score
If you want something that looks like a FB, they are not a bad guitar. But if you want a "real" FB, uh, no.

Gary

Reaction score
If it has a tone that's different than my other guitars, I'm interested. But if the ergonomics, pickups, set neck design, maple neck or baked maple fretboard are deal breakers, I'll pass. I can get it for $400. Anyone owne one of these satin finished Tribute Firebirds?

wmachine

Reaction score
Not sure what the objection to maple is, with either the neck or the fret-board. Both are fundamentally sound choices. People love "thermally treated" Gibson wood, but scoff at "baked" maple. It is the same thing. It is done to drive the moisture out. And results in a more stable (and harder) wood.

truckermde

Reaction score
If you want something that looks like a FB, they are not a bad guitar. But if you want a "real" FB, uh, no.
Why do you say that?

Are these not neck-thru?

That would rather change things...

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
"Grab hold of the unique thin-to-thick neck carve of the Firebird Studio ’70s Tribute—with a profile that starts out slim at the lower frets and becomes increasingly chunky as you slide toward the joint—and you’re rocketed straight back to an age of fierce, fast soloing. In the tone department, it carries a pair of Dual Blade Alnico Mini Humbuckers, new pickups that offer vintage-edged tones with great contemporary versatility, and a visual nod toward the original Firebird guitars.

Like the most revered vintage Firebirds, the Firebird Studio ’70s Tribute starts with a solid mahogany body. This classic tonewood offers superb depth and balance, and is extremely light for optimum playing comfort. This set-neck Firebird is crafted to the original slim-bodied lines of the radical “Reverse-Bodied” Firebirds of the early-to-mid-’60s, so the Firebird Studio ’70s Tribute also captures the visual style of one of the most revolutionary guitar designs ever to hit the scene. Like many great Gibsons of the ’70s, the neck is made from maple and carved to a profile unique to the era, which measures .800” deep at the 1st fret and increases to .963” at the 12th, with a volute behind the nut to both strengthen the headstock joint and enhance neck resonance. A chocolate-brown baked maple fingerboard carries modest pearloid dot inlays, and terminates in a PLEK-cut Corian™ nut with a width of 1-11/16”. As with many Studio models, the Firebird Studio ’70s Tribute keeps it all down to basics—and saves you money—by omitting fingerboard binding. Its look is complemented by a black pickguard (with Firebird graphic) and pickup rings, and knobs (Silver Burst and Cherry), and traditional gold Gibson and Les Paul Model silkscreens."

mdubya

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Non-Reverse Firebirds, which are set neck (not neck through) construction. These Reverse Studios and Tributes are basically the same thing with Reverse bodies. Think of a wilder SG. The pickups lend a really unique character. I think you could say ALL Firebirds are not for everyone, but if you like them, they are wild and unique guitars, no matter the spec.

@ $400? No brainer. Buy it.

wmachine

Reaction score
I don't see why set instead of thru would be a bad thing...
The point is not that there is a problem with a set neck, or that a set neck is a bad thing. But a neck thru is traditionally part of what makes a Firebird what it is. One can say that if the name Firebird is on it, it is a Firebird. But put the Firebird name on a Les Paul and see how convincing you can be. How many things can you change before it stops being Firebird?
That's the only point about the neck.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
What is the actual difference between a thru and set once the glue cures? Nada.

It is an intentionally cheaper bird....

Firebird name on a Lester makes no sense at all....

The neck on the originals were technically plywood.... 9 ply.... 9 ply is ok but a set neck ONE join is not ok? On what planet?

There is a lot of bullshit out there as in "thru vs. set vs. bolt" anyway....

A Studio Lester is every bit a Lester as a Reissue, Classic, Standard, Custom, Deluxe, Supreme, Burst, whatever.... The differences are the bells and whistles you can't hear anyway....regardless of the Corkerazi Manifest of All Things Lester...

Same with a 'bird....

Mike J.

Reaction score
I think the answer to your question, if this is a decent guitar, can only be given by you. Man, what does it count what people tell you about what they’ve heard and what they know...

I’ve played one of these and it was a great guitar. I liked the sound and set neck or not, it sounded different from a LP or SG. I’m no expert for Firebirds, but that guitar looks like a Firebird doesn’t it?

The decision is up to you now, but my experience is that once people start such threads and ask such questions they are not convinced and should skip this opportunity.

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
I think Firebirds are just ugly ass wanker meat (my opinion of course)............ but i'm sure they play and sound just fine with whatever neck style they have.......... though i do love a baked maple fretboard,.... smooth and hard as ebony.... and some can be as dark. $400 american made instrument like this FB is a nice deal at any rate.

Gary

Reaction score
$400?

Where, exactly is said store?
My friend at the store let me take it home for the weekend. It does not have the Gibson gig big so he tossed in a nice, rectangular Road Runner case and will knock off $20 if I decide to keep it. So far, it has a great tone. The unwound G string is very pronounced but I haven’t changed strings yet. Some online reviews said this batch of Studio 70’s Tribute Firebirds was good for classic rock and blues. They were correct. I also like the chunky neck. No neck dive. It feels like playing an SG. The pickups are unique and sweet. My wonderful, intelligent financial executive (W.I.F.E.) approves of the different looking guitar which reminds her of Gumby.

I think Firebirds are just ugly ass wanker meat (my opinion of course)............ but i'm sure they play and sound just fine with whatever neck style they have.......... though i do love a baked maple fretboard,.... smooth and hard as ebony.... and some can be as dark. $400 american made instrument like this FB is a nice deal at any rate.
If you think it looks ugly wanker, picture an old fat balding guy playing it. :D

mdubya

Reaction score
My friend at the store let me take it home for the weekend. It does not have the Gibson gig big so he tossed in a nice, rectangular Road Runner case and will knock off $20 if I decide to keep it. So far, it has a great tone. The unwound G string is very pronounced but I haven’t changed strings yet. Some online reviews said this batch of Studio 70’s Tribute Firebirds was good for classic rock and blues. They were correct. I also like the chunky neck. No neck dive. It feels like playing an SG. The pickups are unique and sweet. My wonderful, intelligent financial executive (W.I.F.E.) approves of the different looking guitar which reminds her of Gumby.

If you think it looks ugly wanker, picture an old fat balding guy playing it. :D
The middle and neck position tones should be off the charts.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score

Your wife has superior intelligence...... Gumby it is...... I couldn’t stand that play-doh character .......hurt my head it does.
:p