The Fake Gibson Thread

efstop

I render not the posterior of a rodent
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have fake yellow Ray Bans. I wish I had a Chibson so I could take a new selfie with them.

TheX

Better a boomer than a Karen.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't we go through this BS a few years ago with the Agile line? $300 dollar knockoffs that were supposed to be just the same as a real Gibbie.

Been playing Agile guitars for years. Never heard anyone say that they were "the same". They are well-made guitars and a MUCH better value.

Chris B.

Reaction score
Been playing Agile guitars for years. Never heard anyone say that they were "the same". They are well-made guitars and a MUCH better value.
Actually, wasn't here. It was on the old Harmony Central forums. Agiles are well made. But so are Epi's. But people who bought Agiles, pimped them to be equivalent to a legit Gibson USA LP. Probably felt the need to justify their purchase?

I have an Epi LP Standard. It's a legit good guitar. It's just not the same as my 2014 Trad Pro II. :shrug:

Anyway, that ad that was posted and then pulled reminded me of those posts.

nimrod

Reaction score
A couple of upgrades would solve the sound issue, and it would still be a lot cheaper than the real deal. Actually we all would benefit from Gibson going under. This way every manufacturer in the world would be able to use Gibson trademarks and make "real" Les Pauls. :slash:

I don't care if your upgrades got a Chibson to sound like angels singing from heaven. That guitar is illegally made. It is ethically wrong to own one. If you truly cared about the sound and not the "Gibson" name, you would get an Epiphone and upgrade that to sound the way you want. There is no way you can justify owning a fake Gibson.

ajay

Reaction score
The Chinese will never make a real Les Paul, because the Chinese cannot even say mojo, much less install it into a real guitar. They are too caught up in yuan man hours. You cannot make a great guitar unless you slow down during certain stages of the build. The Chinese workers are not allowed to slow down at any time, unless they work for themselves. The only really nice Chinese guitars that I have seen were made by one man shops.
There is one guy making jazz guitars that are world class. A Chinese corporation, in my opinion, will never make a great Les Paul, or Original Jumbo for that matter. Chinese corporations don't know what craftsmanship means. The only thing that they know are units per hour. That's why their Res Powels are clap. This example will probably be a hot seller in the US. I would be proud to take the stage with this baby! They are building these examples of high art as we type these meaningful phrases! LOOK OUT!

TheX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That guitar is illegally made. It is ethically wrong to own one.

Kinda like the Gibby branded replicas some people here LOVE!

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Facepalm2.jpg
Just for the record, that's an orangutan. Not a "chimpanzee".

And, @OP: Yes, the fakes (see: counterfeits) are getting slightly better. BUT, they will never be 100% accurate, because that wouldn't be very cost-effective for them.

They reason why it's so easy to spot them is due to the fact that the whole point isn't to make them accurate, but to make them "just good enough" to fool uneducated/unsuspecting buyers.

Now, there ARE "fakes", that are pretty much 100% accurate, in most cases, more so - they're called "replicas".

RRfireblade

Reaction score
Chinese fakes? Where do you expect Henry to sell all the guitars that fail QC?

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
If this apparent Chinese company is going to make guitars with proper hardware, construction and nitro finish they might as well put their own name on it cause it wont be inexpensive to make anymore.
Is there money to be made making fakes? Sure
Theres a sucker born every minute right.
What i want to know is, where are chibsons sold in the first place?
Like is there some guy driving around in a panel van... "hey man, you wanna buy a guitar?"
I've seen a few chibsons in person but never one that was "new". Always at a pawn shop or in some dummies basement.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
If this apparent Chinese company is going to make guitars with proper hardware, construction and nitro finish they might as well put their own name on it cause it wont be inexpensive to make anymore.
Is there money to be made making fakes? Sure
Theres a sucker born every minute right.
What i want to know is, where are chibsons sold in the first place?
Like is there some guy driving around in a panel van... "hey man, you wanna buy a guitar?"
I've seen a few chibsons in person but never one that was "new". Always at a pawn shop or in some dummies basement.
There are plenty of places online that deal exclusively with counterfeit guitars (not just Gibsons).

A simple google search will yield some pretty unsettling results.

ajay

Reaction score
Go to AliBaba.com. Our very own New York Stock Exchange allowed AliBaba.com to go public here in the U.S., which means that American stockholders are profiting from Chinese companies that rob from American companies like Gibson, Fender, Paul Reed Smith, Gretsch, and others. And that's just the guitars. They sell counterfeit gold and silver coins from the United States Mint, the Perth Mint in Australia, and every mint across the world that makes valuable coins out of precious metals, except the Chinese Gold coins (the good ones) are made from gold plated Tungsten steel. All of these rip offs are being blessed by the ultra Rich that own the stock exchanges, and even The Fed allows this piracy to take place, and the ultra rich are probably shareholders of this illegal enterprise.
Gee. I wonder why our nation is going down the tubes?

joey1234

Reaction score
So if a Gibson guitar is made in China and mass produced, it´s crap and it´s immoral. If some guy builds a guitar in his basement, even puts the Gibson logo on it, he is just building a "replica". No moral questions here, right? :hmm: They are both the same, fake guitars.

TheX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if a Gibson guitar is made in China and mass produced, it´s crap and it´s immoral. If some guy builds a guitar in his basement, even puts the Gibson logo on it, he is just building a "replica". No moral questions here, right? :hmm: They are both the same, fake guitars.

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, ME.

I'm waiting for something new, so far this thread is full of reruns.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

nrTWRBv.gif

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I have another idea.

A "new" concept to explore.
What if you put all Gibson hardware on a high end (Elite) Epiphone.
Wouldn't it be as good a a low end Gibson (Studio)?
:hmm:

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
The Chinese will never make a real Les Paul, because the Chinese cannot even say mojo, much less install it into a real guitar. They are too caught up in yuan man hours. You cannot make a great guitar unless you slow down during certain stages of the build. The Chinese workers are not allowed to slow down at any time, unless they work for themselves. The only really nice Chinese guitars that I have seen were made by one man shops.
There is one guy making jazz guitars that are world class. A Chinese corporation, in my opinion, will never make a great Les Paul, or Original Jumbo for that matter. Chinese corporations don't know what craftsmanship means. The only thing that they know are units per hour. That's why their Res Powels are clap. This example will probably be a hot seller in the US. I would be proud to take the stage with this baby! They are building these examples of high art as we type these meaningful phrases! LOOK OUT!
No fan of Chibsons here. But I said this before. The Chinese have been crafting intracate stringed instruments for over two centuries. To believe they couldn't make a decent guitar is ignorant at best.

Latest Threads