Is this thread useful?

• Total voters

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you made the right call.
Worst case, he gets to learn how to fix guitars :D Just kidding of course... I'm 100% sure there is going to be absolutely nothing wrong with this guitar that may not also be wrong with a brand new Epiphone.

npana

Reaction score
Hi,
a few days ago I purchased an Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX.
Serial number starts with 0807XXXXX meaning that this is a 2008 model.
It looks legit to my eyes but I could use your help to be sure that everything is ok.

Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Nick

Here are a few photos:
prophecy1.jpg
prophecy3.jpg
prophecy2.jpg

Jonas47

Reaction score
I bought this used epiphone les paul custom pro alpine white guitar yesterday. After a while i started wondering the guitars serial number cause it seemed so off to me. But after a little research i found that it was made in china 2017. But then i saw that epiphone 2016 stamp and i am very curious what that means cause if it was made in 2017 why it has that epiphone 2016 stamp and not 2017 stamp on it and why that serial number is engraved and not stamped like on the other pictures i have seen. So my question is is this guitar really legit? Everything else seemed fine to me.

Attachments

Jonas47

Reaction score
Thanks a lot:)! I'll still have to ask you that do you know any reason behind that why does that epiphone stamp has incorrect year on it and usually epiphone has stamped their serial numbers but this got them engraved. It kinda bothers me and i cant find the answer to it from literally nowhere. Or is it there just a manufacturing fail.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Thanks a lot:)! I'll still have to ask you that do you know any reason behind that why does that epiphone stamp has incorrect year on it and usually epiphone has stamped their serial numbers but this got them engraved. It kinda bothers me and i cant find the answer to it from literally nowhere. Or is it there just a manufacturing fail.
Stamp was applied just before the 2016 Chistmas Holidays and your guitar stayed on the assembly line until New Year. When the line was activated again, it was 2017. Your guitar is an oddity that makes it rare and more valuable. You should cherish that and face the situation without trepidation.

And ... play the damn thing :rofl:

tophat

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Two things were different to other pics online of this model... the headstock diamond is much closer to the truss rod cover here and the tuner bushes are metal not white plastic http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Matt-Heafy-Les-Paul-Custom.aspx. But I notice some of the new Epiphones have a similar lower diamond position (such as the three pickup BB) so they've made some changes it seems.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Two things were different to other pics online of this model... the headstock diamond is much closer to the truss rod cover here and the tuner bushes are metal not white plastic http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Matt-Heafy-Les-Paul-Custom.aspx. But I notice some of the new Epiphones have a similar lower diamond position (such as the three pickup BB) so they've made some changes it seems.
Where do you see white plastic?
That hasn't been used on anything but the cheapest of student models since the 70s.
The whiteness you see is either light reflecting from the black washers, or the silver strings.