The extra deep porking I received from using Buyee service

Roxy13

Reaction score
I’m in USA/New York City. Thanks for reaching out @Roxy13

Ok, since you have a friend in Japan, have Buyee ship your guitar to your friend. And then your friend can send it EMS (Japan Post to USPS). That's your best option.

cboynyc

Reaction score
Thanks again for your advice @Roxy13. I had read a post somewhere else about shipping through EMS. They suggested taking to a small town post office and being somewhat vague about the wood composition. I'm a little leary of putting my friend in a position where she's feeling like she's being asked to do something skirting the rules. Is it true that 1) the mahogany in these guitars (Tokai Love Rock 2013 MIJ) is not on the prohibited list? 2) The fact that the wood is in finished form makes this moot anyway? Also, I did pay for this guitar using PayPal and there is nothing in the product descriptions mentioning mahogany. Given the added expense and hassle involved in the current situation, might I consider filing a claim with PayPal and walking away? I don't think I've got some massive bargain on the guitar (although its a very nice black LR with p90s).

Roxy13

Reaction score
Thanks again for your advice @Roxy13. I had read a post somewhere else about shipping through EMS. They suggested taking to a small town post office and being somewhat vague about the wood composition. I'm a little leary of putting my friend in a position where she's feeling like she's being asked to do something skirting the rules. Is it true that 1) the mahogany in these guitars (Tokai Love Rock 2013 MIJ) is not on the prohibited list? 2) The fact that the wood is in finished form makes this moot anyway? Also, I did pay for this guitar using PayPal and there is nothing in the product descriptions mentioning mahogany. Given the added expense and hassle involved in the current situation, might I consider filing a claim with PayPal and walking away? I don't think I've got some massive bargain on the guitar (although its a very nice black LR with p90s).

No, mahogany is really not prohibited. It's probably African mahogany too, which is still abundant as far as I know. I know it's NOT on CITES.

Have her list it as "used electric guitar" and that should be fine. Some of us have gotten some from the proxies where the description said "used junk guitar" :rofl:

m5570

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is following CITES for guitars any more.

BKS

Reaction score
Instead of Mahogany let them call it nato :dunno:

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I regularly send guitars from one of the main post office locations in Tokyo and they do not care what kind of wood is used. When EMS guitar packages go through US customs they don't care either as far as I can tell. I think only one time did a recipient ever have to provide some additional information and it did not hold up things for very long. Good luck!

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. I just recently rescued the 4 guitars I had patiently waiting in Japan.

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. I just recently rescued the 4 guitars I had patiently waiting in Japan.
It's really unconscionable that Buyee doesn't automatically display a warning when it translates "guitar" on a listing. I'd used Jauce in the past, but Buyee got me with their no-deposit model. In the future I'd probably try ZenMarket.

How did you end up rescuing your damsels in distress?

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
This is the one I'm trying to recover: https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/v1028639711?conversionType=buyee_top_browsing_history

I'm hoping the fade is not quite as wide as it looks in the photo. Based on the photo of the separating binding I think it's partially just bad lighting.

My prior ObG guitars have mostly been bone stock and mintish condition, so I've avoided messing with the pickups/etc. This one is already reasonably banged up and has had some changes, so if it plays nicely it'll be my main player with some small mods.

Attachments

• 1f6eb06.jpg
    1f6eb06.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1f6eb03.jpg
    1f6eb03.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 17

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
How did you end up rescuing your damsels in distress?

They stayed with a friend for more than a year until EMS started back up. It cost me about $850 for passage. Prior to that, I got a quote from fedex for something like $2200. No way.

IMG_20211224_130743295_HDR.jpg

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
I haven't opened it yet so I don't know the year. A friend was clamoring about a black standard, so this might fit the bill.

m5570

Reaction score
Nothing against your friend, but hang on…. you have another black guitar.

I don’t think he’d like this one, too plain. *I*, on the other hand, may be interested.

Latest Threads