The extra deep porking I received from using Buyee service

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
I've used a few different proxies when buying guitars from Japan, and Buyee was one of them. I probably bought more than 40 guitars using their service. The year 2020 changed a lot with EMS shutting down, and shipping options were limited. From late March through July I accumulated 10 guitars repacked in big Buyee protective boxes in the Buyee warehouse. Storage fees were waived, so I figured I'd wait for EMS to resume shipping service. In September I got tired of waiting and decided to bite the bullet and order shipping. DHL was the only option at 60% more cost.

The first to ship was an Edwards standard. You get what you pay for with DHL and 3 days later it was at my door, sitting in the rain.

I decided to ship 1 guitar per week rather than plop down the shipping fees all at once. Next guitar to ship was a white Burny custom. Here's what Buyee robots had to say:

Code:
【Buyee】We have cancelled the shipping out of your package

We are writing about your package【W2005706020】, which is registered to your [My Page].

Upon confirmation of the package contents, in accordance to the Aviation Law and International Postal Regulations, the following item included in the package is prohibited from being shipped internationally using any couriers including Japan Post and UPS.

Package information:
-----------------------------------------
Auction ID:【e429381329】

Prohibited Item:
【mahogany Material Guitar】
-----------------------------------------

Please choose one of the following options on how you would like to proceed with your package:

OPTIONS:
Ⅰ. Ship your item to a domestic (Japanese) address.
Ⅱ. Discard your item.

Discard my guitar?!? I checked the YJ auction, and the offending keywords (mahogany) were not present. I responded, saying that the guitar was made of basswood (not true). They responded that they are so sorry, but they have confirmed that the guitar is made of mahogany. I asked how they could confirm this when the guitar finish is opaque, not to mention that it has been packed in a box since May. They ignored my question and insisted that I choose from the options listed.

Next guitar to ship was a Burny standard, which resulted in the same bullshit. Buyee customer service always responded with the same canned text, even though it was always a different agent. After that was another Edwards, and it went right out the door without any problems, even though it was made of mahogany! This went on for the rest of the stash, leaving 4 lonely and scared Burnys stuck in Japan. Strangely enough, the last to ship was a Burny gold top, and its mahogany composition went unnoticed. I received it 3 days later in the rain.

The remaining 4 are staying with a friend in Tokyo for a while. I got a fedex quote for $2500 to ship them!

Last edited:

KStopper65

Reaction score
I feel sad for the people who have to use a proxy service to get Japanese guitars.
I hope Buyee sorts it out, and you get your guitars.
Also allow me to recommend Japan Post, they have a cheaper sea shipping version which has some wait time, but is frankly very inexpensive

currypowder

Reaction score
Good lord, what a f-in nightmare!!

I had a brief scare with a rather expensive guitar back when CITES was still an issue for regular rosewood. At the time, it was the most I had spent on a guitar. I had FromJapan buy it from a store from me.

After FJ received it, they informed me that they were unable to ship it to me due to rosewood and I could either have it shipped to a Japanese address or discarded. Of course I had the same reaction you did, discard?

Anyway, I first asked them to return the guitar, it was from a store and within their return timeframe. They refused.

I kept pushing them and they finally said I could have it shipped via FedEx or DHL, thankfully. I asked them to ship it via FedEx, so of course they shipped it via DHL.

Of course, DHL held it up too and I had to fill out some forms but it ultimately got to me. The whole thing soured me on buying from Japan at all for a few months.

I had lined up a member here who lives in Japan as a last resort. I'm glad I didn't end up having to use him, though it probably would have ended up being a lot cheaper if I had.

Good luck with all of this. If this doesn't turn everyone here off of Buyee permanently, I guess nothing will.

KStopper65

Reaction score
I kept pushing them and they finally said I could have it shipped via FedEx or DHL, thankfully. I asked them to ship it via FedEx, so of course they shipped it via DHL.
Lol. I don't get it. Most Japanese owned businesses are prompt and value customer service a lot

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
I'm told that shipping by sea is not an option because the guitar boxes are too big, but I find that strange because I've had a few shipped that way in the past.

64F100

Reaction score
WTF vessel are they shipping them over via SEA if the boxes are too big...Sonny Crockett's speed boat?

Lumi71

Reaction score
Maybe "tenso" would work for you?
I know they work a bit different with giving you their adress in Japan.
I have never tried them though....

villager

Reaction score
I'm told that shipping by sea is not an option because the guitar boxes are too big, but I find that strange because I've had a few shipped that way in the past.
they brought is a 1.05M limit a couple months ago for sea.. which is insane .. lol

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
Buyee is just the worst, the forum should post a large disclaimer telling people you are rolling the dice with them. I was lucky when they tried the "sorry but we put your guitar in giant box and you must pay for us being stupid " I filed with visa and got my money back , AFAIK they still have the gitar someplace.
These days if you are in America they are all bad :
If it goes USPS there is a good chance it will go to customs and sit in JFK for days or weeks.
If ti goes DHS there is a good chance you will be hit with a tariff before they release it.
Jauce may charge you $285 to ship a Les Paul in a hard cae.
Its really getting that it's just not worth the hassle anymore.
I've been doing this for 15 years and have bought a couple of 100 guitars from Japan.
It used to be a lot of fun.

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
Maybe "tenso" would work for you?
I know they work a bit different with giving you their adress in Japan.
I have never tried them though....

They are the same company.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Buyee sounds like a place that would rip you off or get your order wrong...

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear all the trouble people are having. The limitations on sea shipping are also discouraging, though the 1.05 length / 2 m total is not for all countries. I know Canada still has the 1.5 m / 3 m total (fingers crossed it stays that way).

swampblues

Reaction score
Main reason I won’t buy from Japan anymore except a few friends I know there

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
^*#$! I have an LP still stuck in a warehouse. I didn't know mahogany was restricted now. Is that really a thing? The CITES notices I found were back in 2003.

Hydra19

Reaction score
Buyee really seems more like a chinese operation and not japanese - sorry to the chinese but I just meant you'd expect some of this from them, and not japanese. Buyee refuse to refund my points, and any guitar I try to buy either gets bid on all of a sudden or for some reason it cannot be shipped, not to mention the mahogany and ebony deal.

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
They are so full of shit. They take your money and screw you.

Hydra19

Reaction score
They sure are, I'm not sure what is happening, but I did manage to win an auction, but it looks like they won't ship it due to prohibited items, but they won't cancel the sale or anything, I guess they will ask me if I'd like to discard it whilst being charged for it

cboynyc

Reaction score
I received the same message from Buyee a couple days ago. Tokai Love Rock. Mahogany can’t ship. Two choices 1) ship domestically 2) discard item. Lots of Googling later and some texting with a friend in Japan and I’ve sent them a note to ship domestically. For anyone who’s gone this route, what would you recommend next? Is it true that the Japan Post is no longer and option? How would I go about using Blackship? Would they pick up from my friend in Japan.

Roxy13

Reaction score
What country are you in? That will help us to know how to help you. Japan Post is currently running via EMS to the US and I believe Europe. I know Canada doesn't have EMS or SEA shipping right now :(

Latest Threads