The Evolution Of The "Bar Gig"

JimsGoldtop

Reaction score
I get it for wedding bands. Not the bar gigs though. We had an incredible singer in one band and he used an iPad for many of the lyrics. Very unprofessional for our type of band. Every other singer I have ever had, including the great one we have now, knows the words.
Hi freebyrd,

I agree it doesn't look very professional to have ipads or even paper lyrics on stage while performing. That said, I think there is a distinction to be made regarding the difference between someone who can sing and someone who has a good memory. While I am neither of those, I would struggle immensely on stage trying to remember lyrics (and chords) to songs. And, it's not a matter of trying, I think it's probably genetics.

SpawnedX

Reaction score
Can't say the ear ringing and feet aching thing is something I deal with after a wedding gig, then again maybe I am not...mature enough to experience those ailments, lol. All good.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Hi freebyrd,

I agree it doesn't look very professional to have ipads or even paper lyrics on stage while performing. That said, I think there is a distinction to be made regarding the difference between someone who can sing and someone who has a good memory. While I am neither of those, I would struggle immensely on stage trying to remember lyrics (and chords) to songs. And, it's not a matter of trying, I think it's probably genetics.
I have my set list on an ipad.... not lyrics.

JimsGoldtop

Reaction score
I have my set list on an ipad.... not lyrics.
I gotta hand it to you Steve, you must have a great memory especially considering you're a solo act that can't rely on the rest of the band to bail you out if you forget the lyrics. Kudos, bro!

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I gotta hand it to you Steve, you must have a great memory especially considering you're a solo act that can't rely on the rest of the band to bail you out if you forget the lyrics. Kudos, bro!
Not always perfect... a couple of times I have just stopped and said... uh oh....... I remember one especially. Playing Friends in Low Places... played it a hundrwd times.... went completely blank...not even the next chord...froze.... made a joke and went to the next song.

JimsGoldtop

Reaction score
Not always perfect... a couple of times I have just stopped and said... uh oh....... I remember one especially. Playing Friends in Low Places... played it a hundrwd times.... went completely blank...not even the next chord...froze.... made a joke and went to the next song.
Lol, been there, Steve, too many times.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ll admit to using crib notes from time to time. Sometimes I’d forget how many verses were before the bridge or what note to end a solo on.

captdan61

Reaction score
Perhaps to feel artistically fulfilled.these days you need to be in a few bands. Some designed to make money.( And I agree new country sounds like a lot of old 70's rock.) I would love to play heavy rock. And also play instrument jazz with a keyboard player. But still enjoy some blues and rock. But a lot of new music kinda sucks imho. However check out Greta van fleet. Kinda sound a like something I've heard before.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi freebyrd,

Nope....repetition and practice. No different than remembering all those notes on the guitar.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Perhaps to feel artistically fulfilled.these days you need to be in a few bands. Some designed to make money.( And I agree new country sounds like a lot of old 70's rock.) I would love to play heavy rock. And also play instrument jazz with a keyboard player. But still enjoy some blues and rock. But a lot of new music kinda sucks imho. However check out Greta van fleet. Kinda sound a like something I've heard before.
I don’t want to side track the thread, but, yeah...TOO MUCH like someone I’ve heard before. And there are many threads on them.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
@freebyrd 69 I had one of those shows tonight that NOTHING seemed to garner any attention until the last set. Same place I played before. Over 200 people those times. Responsive crowds. Tonight lucky if there were 75 and seemed indifferent to anything I did..... same demographic mix as before, just less of them.... still a good turnout for this place but not even close to before. And of course the owner of another bar stopped in spying on how many were there. Now here is the twist.....Owner told me he needed to talk to me. Said they were making changes. He set up a time with my wife since I was playing and i was expecting something bad..... after the show she told me was very happy with the turnout because MOST OF THE PEOPLE WERE THERE TO SEE ME. And (unless she got it mixed up) he wants me to stop in the bar next week to set up once a month shows in hopes that I will not play anywhere else locally the rest of the year......... So I guess sometimes its perspective. A show that I was not pleased with' he was happy as a clam..... sometimes yhis stuff is hard to figure out.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Owner told me he needed to talk to me. Said they were making changes. He set up a time with my wife since I was playing and i was expecting something bad..... after the show she told me was very happy with the turnout because MOST OF THE PEOPLE WERE THERE TO SEE ME. And (unless she got it mixed up) he wants me to stop in the bar next week to set up once a month shows in hopes that I will not play anywhere else locally the rest of the year......... So I guess sometimes its perspective. A show that I was not pleased with' he was happy as a clam..... sometimes yhis stuff is hard to figure out.
@OHIOSTEVE
Between you and me we could have a basket full of nights we thought we absolutely stunk but those who were hearing us thought we
were absolutely marvelous.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
@OHIOSTEVE
Between you and me we could have a basket full of nights we thought we absolutely stunk but those who were hearing us thought we
were absolutely marvelous.
It happens...to me ( I realize I am in a bar providing background noise) its the shows where there is very little crowd interaction....then afterwards I get mobbed by hand shakers and back patters about how great it was.... tonight though was honestly not great..butchered a couple of songs even.

Latest Threads