The ES335 is best non Les Paul Gibson ever

gnappi

Reaction score
I kicked myself for a long time for passing on satin 335 about 10 years ago. I later scored a Lnib 339 thinking it would be good enough but I was sorely disappointed. I don’t sell gear so it mostly collects dust these days. But when sweetwater had a 2018 Dot on sale for $1800 (minus even more for my frequent flyer status), I jumped. I could tell the guitar had been returned at least once but I’m boggled as to why. I actually love the BB1/2 in this guitar. I couldn’t get them out of my Les Pauls fast enough
Don't we all have "the one that got away" story? :) I too have a few gits collecting dust.

Funny what you say about the BB's, I felt that in my Midtown Custom they were too bright, and in the 335 they really work.

gnappi

Reaction score
I like my '91 Tennessean (owned 20+ years). It sings.
Nice git. I've looked at the Tennessean online, and never got to play one, and never understood why they were ignored by players. Funny, the Epiphone clone I found and played locally was nearly $3k, and it had neck heel and head joints. Even with the silly price and neck I was tempted to buy it.

moreles

Reaction score
Wow, another "my guitar is best" post. I'm glad you feel that way about your guitar, for you. The history of rock suggests otherwise for the majority of players, but every player finds their own #1. And #2. And #3...

budg

Reaction score
Wow, another "my guitar is best" post. I'm glad you feel that way about your guitar, for you. The history of rock suggests otherwise for the majority of players, but every player finds their own #1. And #2. And #3...
Meh, I think the title says "best non Les Paul ". I dont really see where anyone is saying their guitar is the best, but this is the internet. That being said my 335 gets more use than my LP . All the history of Rock does is reinforce that everyone has their preferences and what is best for one player isnt for another.

Last edited:

Robus

Reaction score
335s and SGs are just more fun to play than an LP to me.

budg

Reaction score
335s to me are nice because they are lighter, they have better upper fret access and imo more versatile. however the LP does what it does so well.

gnappi

Reaction score
Better than many custom shops guitars. And with the dreaded BB1/2!!

Sincerely,
custom shop Les Paul guy
Nice git.

I don't think the BB's are "dreaded" in my experience they don't work well, or their innards are inconsistent and don't sound so good like in my Midtown custom, but my 2017 335 figured they sound great.

But, that's not good enough odds for me to buy a git with BB's because I KNOW 57's are right for me and finding a model with 57's I like is easier than taking a chance with BB's.

Dilver

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, are your 335s set up with 50s or modern wiring?

dspelman

Reaction score
My first and second guitars were 335s (one is a 12). Good guitars, but a bit large and a bit delicate.
I love my LPs (many of which are not Gibsons), but my L5S and L6S would be a choice over the 335s. And definitely over an SG.

mdubya

Reaction score
335s and SGs are just more fun to play than an LP to me.
I agree with this statement. And Firebirds, too. :shock:

I love my ES LP, though. It is so good and does the LP thing for me. Tone for days.

I had my ES 335 Dot Reissue out last night and it was scratching all of my itches. I almost stayed up all night. :eek2:

I was thinking about how I used to work all day, come home, pack up my gear to go out and gig all night, then get up and go to work again the next day. Don't know how I did that, now. zzzzzzzzzzz.....