The ES335 is best non Les Paul Gibson ever

Frogfur

Reaction score
Sorry, but a "the best" thread always does nothing more than create a black hole.
Rewording the thread title to The ES335 is MY best non Les Paul Gibson ever
gives a chance at being realistic, which I think you intended.
"Best" will always be subjective, but from what I've seen, I think the ES-335 is not only considered to be more versatile than an LP, it is considered to be one of the most versatile electric guitars period.
I can say this, thanks to the CME blowouts, I'm "knee deep" in Gibson ES guitars now, and think that's guitar heaven.

There are those that disagree with the "unplugged test" being valid, but I'm not among them. I've seen far too much evidence of its validity. But even ES guitars of exactly the same year and model can sound different unplugged. Sometimes it is "better" than others, but I think more often it is just "different" than other ones. Most, and certainly the decent ones, really ring out unplugged.
You think unplugged rings out ..
Wait til you play a 6120 unplugged.
Loudest unplugged guitar out there.

wmachine

Reaction score
You think unplugged rings out ..
Wait til you play a 6120 unplugged.
Loudest unplugged guitar out there.
A full hollow body should be relatively loud. And just to clarify, louder is not necessarily better as far as how good it sounds unplugged. A clear strong resonance is not necessarily louder. And of course a hollow body, even semi hollows will be "louder" than solid bodies. The "unplugged test" is a relative test. Relative to similar builds. And quality, not just volume of the sound.
"Loudest unplugged guitar out there", huh? So you've tried one of these?

Frogfur

Reaction score
A full hollow body should be relatively loud. And just to clarify, louder is not necessarily better as far as how good it sounds unplugged. A clear strong resonance is not necessarily louder. And of course a hollow body, even semi hollows will be "louder" than solid bodies. The "unplugged test" is a relative test. Relative to similar builds. And quality, not just volume of the sound.
"Loudest unplugged guitar out there", huh? So you've tried one of these?

I've got one.

jdto

Pretend Human
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a Les Paul anymore, as my McCarty 594 covers that ground for me, but my 335 is the crown jewel of my little collection.

Burny FLG

Reaction score
Played a late model d'angelico 335 last night. It was all down to business, heavy, no acoustic resonance, no neck flex, it was a serious machine - reminded me of my old LPC. Made my 335 seem like a kids toy. But there was no charm or flavour or character. Well there might have been if I'd played it longer but it left me a bit cold. Couldn't wait to get mine back, lovely lil lively rocky jazzy boxy thing.

wmachine

Reaction score
Played a late model d'angelico 335 last night. It was all down to business, heavy, no acoustic resonance, no neck flex, it was a serious machine - reminded me of my old LPC. Made my 335 seem like a kids toy. But there was no charm or flavour or character. Well there might have been if I'd played it longer but it left me a bit cold. Couldn't wait to get mine back, lovely lil lively rocky jazzy boxy thing.
I really believe the key in what you said is "no acoustic resonance". Not necessarily a volume thing, that "flavor/character" would/should be indicated unplugged. Quality, fit, finish, playability, etc. can't make up for that.

gnappi

Reaction score
My first 335 was a walnut 70's model with a trapeze TP. Something happened in my life back then that forced its sale and I've regretted it all my life.

Today I have several LP's and Gibson semi's and the LP's get no play time at all.

My first 335 in recent years was a black 2000 with a poorly repaired (but solid) neck crack and the PO refretted it, likely before the neck problem. I came so close to not buying it because of the neck thing, I'm glad I bought it.

I found the right pic...L to R... 02 345, 90 335, 2017 335, 70's 347, 80's Lucille, 03 333.

ES345_335_335_347a.jpg

Last edited: