The ES335 is best non Les Paul Gibson ever

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion, why would you want us to talk you out of it?

thebowl

Reaction score
I force myself to rotate among a variety of nice electrics, but my 335 seems to be "home base" for me. The sound of an electric guitar unplugged is always a real test of its sound, and nothing sounds like a nice 335 unplugged.

wmachine

Reaction score
Sorry, but a "the best" thread always does nothing more than create a black hole.
Rewording the thread title to The ES335 is MY best non Les Paul Gibson ever
gives a chance at being realistic, which I think you intended.
"Best" will always be subjective, but from what I've seen, I think the ES-335 is not only considered to be more versatile than an LP, it is considered to be one of the most versatile electric guitars period.
I can say this, thanks to the CME blowouts, I'm "knee deep" in Gibson ES guitars now, and think that's guitar heaven.

I force myself to rotate among a variety of nice electrics, but my 335 seems to be "home base" for me. The sound of an electric guitar unplugged is always a real test of its sound, and nothing sounds like a nice 335 unplugged.
There are those that disagree with the "unplugged test" being valid, but I'm not among them. I've seen far too much evidence of its validity. But even ES guitars of exactly the same year and model can sound different unplugged. Sometimes it is "better" than others, but I think more often it is just "different" than other ones. Most, and certainly the decent ones, really ring out unplugged.

Dick Banks

Reaction score
The 335 is the "Stratocaster" of Gibsons--applicable to any setting or genre.
Personally, I play mine jazzy-bluesy and clean only, just reverb, a touch of slapback, that's it.
Which is probably a waste of the instrument, but I can't bear to try to shape the tone--it's just so good the way it is.

wmachine

Reaction score
...............but I can't bear to try to shape the tone--it's just so good the way it is.
Oh, come on, DB, give it a shot! Get it just over the edge of breaking up with some very controlled hints of feedback. It will talk to you!
It's not like something you can't unsee. You can always go back. (But will you........)

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Pauls a have come and gone thru my hands. My 78 L6s however.... will be buried with me.

Reactions: BBC

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I've got a few stand outs in my 50+ guitar collection, and my '83 Gibson 335 Dot is in the top 5 in my collection.

I just recently change out the harness to a 50's style, and installed a special cap and treble bleed.

The guitar totally came alive and I now I get what all the fuss about the Shaw's is all about.

It's an incredible sounding tone monster that is now even more versatile tonally.

All that to say 335's are amazing guitars.

Deus Vult

Reaction score
I kicked myself for a long time for passing on satin 335 about 10 years ago. I later scored a Lnib 339 thinking it would be good enough but I was sorely disappointed. I don’t sell gear so it mostly collects dust these days. But when sweetwater had a 2018 Dot on sale for $1800 (minus even more for my frequent flyer status), I jumped. I could tell the guitar had been returned at least once but I’m boggled as to why. I actually love the BB1/2 in this guitar. I couldn’t get them out of my Les Pauls fast enough