The end of fakes? I doubt it, but it's a start

fatb0t

Reaction score
"The recent arrest and three-year jail sentencing of Beijing’s Li Dan was a monumental victory against the proliferation of counterfeit guitars. Not only were 1,200 fake guitars seized, but years of efforts on the part of Gibson, the Electric Guitar Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition (EGACC) and Chinese legal authorities paid off, leading to the sentencing of Li Dan.

Dan operated paylessguitar.com.cn, paylessguitars.com, musoland.com.cn and musoland.com, web domains that targeted overseas consumers with alluringly inexpensive fake guitars advertised as authentic Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Ibanez, and Paul Reed Smith brand guitars. Of the 1,200 guitars seized at Li Dan’s warehouse and retail outlet this past fall, 861 were Gibson and Epiphone branded.

The hosting companies for Li Dan’s Web sites responded 4to Gibson’s legal notices by shutting down her sites in 2007. Surprisingly brazen, Li Dan simply re-introduced them months later using new hosting companies. She also kept photos of herself on her Facebook page, and images of her attending guitar tradeshows were found on the Internet."

Here's the full article:
Counterfeit Guitar Bust Yields 861 Gibson Fakes, Ends with Prison Sentence

thornie

Reaction score
Great news!

By the way... Who knew such a young woman was behind these fakes? That kind of surprised me.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
i wonder how much gibson had to pay china for them to take action? or perhaps gibson threatened to relocate their Epi plants to another country?

barrydjuptight

Reaction score
Now Ebay will be full of "RARE - DISCONTINUED Li Dan guitars - legendary clones SURE to increase in value" :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

guitarfish

Reaction score
This is great news - now all my MusoLand guitars will go up in value!!

:shock:

weirdotis

Reaction score
Another Counterfeiter Bites the Dust :dude:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason

Reaction score
Great news!

By the way... Who knew such a young woman was behind these fakes? That kind of surprised me.

Pretty shocking, for sure. Awesome news though. :applause:

fatb0t

Reaction score
Now Ebay will be full of "RARE - DISCONTINUED Li Dan guitars - legendary clones SURE to increase in value" :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

FULLY RELIC'ED LI DAN GUITAR STRAIGHT FROM CHINA, HAPPY BIDDING!

BETTER THAN GIBSON :laugh2::laugh2:

guitarfish

Reaction score
I'll tell you what, I sure wouldn't want to go to prison in China!

GNR4EVR

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"The recent arrest and three-year jail sentencing of Beijing’s Li Dan was a monumental victory against the proliferation of counterfeit guitars. Not only were 1,200 fake guitars seized, but years of efforts on the part of Gibson, the Electric Guitar Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition (EGACC) and Chinese legal authorities paid off, leading to the sentencing of Li Dan.

Dan operated paylessguitar.com.cn, paylessguitars.com, musoland.com.cn and musoland.com, web domains that targeted overseas consumers with alluringly inexpensive fake guitars advertised as authentic Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Ibanez, and Paul Reed Smith brand guitars. Of the 1,200 guitars seized at Li Dan’s warehouse and retail outlet this past fall, 861 were Gibson and Epiphone branded.

The hosting companies for Li Dan’s Web sites responded 4to Gibson’s legal notices by shutting down her sites in 2007. Surprisingly brazen, Li Dan simply re-introduced them months later using new hosting companies. She also kept photos of herself on her Facebook page, and images of her attending guitar tradeshows were found on the Internet."

Here's the full article:
Counterfeit Guitar Bust Yields 861 Gibson Fakes, Ends with Prison Sentence

I am going to copy/paste this to the Fake Epi Thread II, the guys over there will love to hear this!:thumb:

nauc

Reaction score
i wonder how much gibson had to pay china for them to take action? or perhaps gibson threatened to relocate their Epi plants to another country?

China said "kill the Epi Elitists line"

:D

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Li Dan on Facebook?...

pic.php

Rikochet

Reaction score
thats kinda weird that the mastermind is a young woman :shock:

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
Her fellow prisoners will pass her around like currency.

Victory at last. But I guess there are many more fish to catch on the counterfeit market.

GNR4EVR

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Her fellow prisoners will pass her around like currency.

Victory at last. But I guess there are many more fish to catch on the counterfeit market.

In 3 years, she'll be back at it faking Nikes and watches. Just wait.

Latest Threads