The End of Ash

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
Bad news article:

End of Ash on Production Line

Over time, there’s this Emerald Ash Borer beetle that started up near Canada and Michigan, and it started destroying the ash. Up in the north, we don’t use that ash because it’s really heavy… we use the swamp ash which is down in the south.

"They’ve tried to do all kinds of things, introducing non-native species that would eat the beetles, pesticides, they’ve thrown everything at the wall and nothing has stopped the blight of this invasive pest that was not-native and I don’t know how it got here.

“It’s eating its way through the forest and ash will be completely gone in a couple of years. I guess like how American chestnut got destroyed in the 30s and it’s over. This is not like it will go away for a couple of seasons and eventually grow back.

This decision is going to affect the mass production line in mid-year, but not the Custom Shop, from information in the article. Now, as guitar buyers, we need to figure out which ash body guitars to purchase, before the supply runs out. Do I order a Jimmy Page Telecaster, or not?

jb_abides

Reaction score
Got mine. Both a 52 AVRI blackguard reissue, and this new addition!

1587422273709.jpeg

redking

Reaction score
I just went balls deep into the swamp ash market after reading that story! While not technically Fenders, I am currently building a Warmoth roasted swamp ash strat, and upon hearing that Warmoth is projecting their supply will come to an end in the not so distant future, immediately ordered another vintage strat body (light weight swamp ash) and tele custom body (roasted swamp ash) for future builds.
20200422_092914.jpg

Last edited:

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Only ash guitars i got are my sen ash tokai AST62 N TST62. but i hear sen Ash is more like alder in sound than ash

Phil W

Reaction score
Other woods sound just the same ...

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
We have a couple trees that need to be chopped down on my uncles property in Canada because of the ash beetle. I actually love Japanese sen ash and swamp ash so the guitar part is not a big deal but not happy about an entire tree species getting wiped out.

Latest Threads