The Ebay "Fraudulant" Listing Thread!

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I take the pics from the fleabay ad along with the link and send it off to Gibson. They send me back a confirmation that said guitar is a counterfeit. I also place a good size bid so I can win the auction if the ad stays up. Gibson always forwards the email to their legal department. Lately the sales ads have been taken down within a day or two so Gibson might be a bit more diligent in going after Chibson sellers on fleabay.

That ad is now gone.

Merkin

Premium Member
Reaction score
This was a tough one to spot (ahem)

The seller also has a 'Fender'Tele, with a fine photo of the Squier neckplate...

Genius

Attachments

ajory72

Reaction score

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Suddenly I'm seeing huge numbers of new LPs being offered on ebay from Japan. Suspicious. And some of them definitely don't look like Gibson workmanship standards.

This one for example. It's just WRONG to me, but it's hard to pin down a specific reason. Even the bridge studs appear to be the right size, but I wouldn't trust that it's authentic. I would not buy it without a far more detailed inspection.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Suddenly I'm seeing huge numbers of new LPs being offered on ebay from Japan. Suspicious. And some of them definitely don't look like Gibson workmanship standards.

This one for example. It's just WRONG to me, but it's hard to pin down a specific reason. Even the bridge studs appear to be the right size, but I wouldn't trust that it's authentic. I would not buy it without a far more detailed inspection.

Legit.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Ah. So...basically he's just a dealer who's taking orders via ebay and having the guitar drop shipped to your door. Isn't that a violation of Gibson's sales policies?

Plus you'd never get the exact guitar pictured in the listing.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Ive bought some lovely fiddles on the E-BAY but Ive been ripped off to CAVEAT EMPTOR-good Roman advice.

larryguitar

Reaction score
Ah. So...basically he's just a dealer who's taking orders via ebay and having the guitar drop shipped to your door. Isn't that a violation of Gibson's sales policies?

Plus you'd never get the exact guitar pictured in the listing.
Lots of Ebay sellers in Japan are using listings by the dealers who *actually* own the guitar, and will attempt to purchase it and send it to you if you win their auction. A quick look at their reviews shows a lot of 'dealer said the guitar was no longer available' comments.

It would be far better if these folks simply advertised their services as purchasing/shipping agents, and were upfront about what they're really offering.

Larry

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Right, like if I were to work out an arrangement with the local Porsche dealer and try to sell their new 911s on line. Take a little off the top for myself. Brokering. (The local dealer would politely tell me to go pound sand and hand me the hammer to pound it with.)

Barnaby

Reaction score
I live in Tokyo. An interesting thing about that guitar is that when I clicked on the listing, it said "Does not ship to Japan."

It might be a real one but it bothers me too, as it looks "off" to my eye as well. The serial number is also odd. All 0, 1 and 6. What are the odds? It's almost as if those were the only number stamps the maker had to hand.

Latest Threads