The Early Les Paul Sound

DarrellV

Sharp as a bowlin' ball! Oh, Look! ..SQUIRREL!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice catch, Froggy..

Only thing I can add is that they might actually be Dynasonics.

De'Armond's original single coil design for Gretch, they predate the Humbucker era like the P-90 did.

Les was, of course, a tone chaser, even winding his own to try to find the perfect clean sound.....

Makes sense he would have shopped around whatever was out there at the time..

Frogfur

Reaction score
Nice catch, Froggy..

Only thing I can add is that they might actually be Dynasonics.

De'Armond's original single coil design for Gretch, they predate the Humbucker era like the P-90 did.

Les was, of course, a tone chaser, even winding his own to try to find the perfect clean sound.....

Makes sense he would have shopped around whatever was out there at the time..
My mis print, you are correct.
Thanks for the clairfication.

DarrellV

Sharp as a bowlin' ball! Oh, Look! ..SQUIRREL!
Premium Member
Reaction score
My mis print, you are correct.
Thanks for the clairfication.
Its a small thing really, some folks get uppity over the little things like this, but it happens to me a lot too.

Doesn't help the Gretch chose to name them all along the same lines and similar sounding names, either.

Still a great video of a better time in guitar history. Everything was still new and developing..

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
TV Jones still makes these in P-90 form today.

TV Jones has the T-90s and the T-Armonds . two very different pickups ( I can personally attest to the fact that the T-Armonds sound amazing )

from what I understand , some of the DynaSonics were made by DeArmond during that time __ and I'm guessing that some of that very special tones comes from the unpotted design . although they have their " issues " , some of the older microphonic pickups can sound other-wordly

Frogfur

Reaction score
The reason i put this up is, i was actually thinking of putting a TV Jones in my SG.
Thats what got me thinking about Les and those pups.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
That just looks..so...wrong
I have to agree with you 100% . and I'm left handed :laugh2:

when I started playing a few years ago , I never really understood the idea of a left handed guitar . I assumed that many " south paws " just dealt with fretting with the dominant hand __ with a few exceptions ( like Jimi )

after joining these forums , I'm finding that to be true . that lefty Gretsch just looks strange to me

CRobbins

Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe something like this would get that early Les Paul sound?
Another historically correct pairing is the Vintage Select Edition '57 Duo Jet's T-Armond single-coil pickups (a special TV Jones reproduction of the original DynaSonic pickup).

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
The reason i put this up is, i was actually thinking of putting a TV Jones in my SG.
Thats what got me thinking about Les and those pups.
do it .

they are pricey __ but totally worth it . I'm not buying anymore guitars ( for a few months at least ) , but working on upgrades . the next guitar to get TV Jones pickups will be my Tele . haven't decided on Starwoods or Brian Setzer signatures yet