The dreaded Les Paul Robot - Purple

Matthewriot

Reaction score
So I know most folks aren’t big fans of the Gibson Robot Les Pauls. I wasn’t either - but it was purple so I bought it anyway. It showed up from Guitar Center Used - they didn’t ship it with the case - which caused some issues - it also didn’t have the robot tuners any longer (they forgot to mention that part) and instead had some cheap Wilkinsons. So the first move was to install some Grover locking tuners. Other than that For on of my very first ever gibson purchases I was in love. I don’t see this one pop up too often in this color - but because it started life as a Robot, everyone tends to immediately poop on it lol.

Attachments

• 8B1E89CA-6472-48EF-91BA-D99EBF0F46AF.jpeg
    8B1E89CA-6472-48EF-91BA-D99EBF0F46AF.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 110
  • CBF31B61-9CA2-4A52-8A2B-608CFE9B148A.jpeg
    CBF31B61-9CA2-4A52-8A2B-608CFE9B148A.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 109

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have a 2015 junior that was supposed to come with the robotuners but i bought it with gibby deluxe tuners on it.as long as you are happy with it i wouldnt care what others think.

Phylodog

Reaction score
I'd be proud to own it, that's a sharp guitar and something you don't see every day.

truckermde

Reaction score
Cool!

It's got more going for it than against it!

I love the neck & headstock binding, and the Ebony board is sweet!

Also, purple! 'Nuff said.

HNGD!

:cheers2:

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I don't really know the specs of the robot gibsons. Was it just the tuners or was there onboard computer stuff too ?? I have always admired the Gibson Studios that had an ebony board. Yours looks to be quite the catch. Big congrats !!! Love the colour.

tzd

Reaction score
So the first move was to install some Grover locking tuners.
HNGD! I've got the Silverburst one that I converted as well. I had to enlarge the tuning key holes from the back of the headstock to fit Grover locking tuners.

I don't really know the specs of the robot gibsons. Was it just the tuners or was there onboard computer stuff too ??
It was both an engineering marvel as well as nightmare to use over time, when the components start breaking down.

The original robot system had the robotic tuning keys at the headstock. Each tuning key has an electric motor inside the housing. However, the electronics and rechargeable battery are held in the control cavity. The tuning keys are powered by electricity that is sent by the battery in the control cavity through the guitar strings to the tuning pegs!

The battery is charged through the regular (but neutrik-locking) input jack. There is a power brick that attaches to a guitar cable to plug into the input jack to charge the battery. However, when your guitar is plugged into an amp, the voltage from the amp actually helps trickle charge the battery as well so the unit will always work when plugged into an amp.

The nightmare is that it is so overly complicated and individual components start wearing out and failing and after some point it stops working right. Since you can't buy replacement parts anymore, you eventually have to convert it to a regular guitar (which thankfully can be easily done).

Here's mine before and after conversion:

p1000003-jpg.65157

p1090259-jpg.89017

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think those are quite cool. Great headtock and neck binding look great on them.

Almost every one I see these days has been de-roboted.
Very difficult to find replacement parts.

I have a couple of sets that I bought for my Epiphone and Taylor that I removed after a couple of months.

Then I made the mistake of buying a "Roadie" tuner... just as useless.
Really, really cool ideas, but just not ready for prime time.

Matthewriot

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the kind words! I love the looks of it, kept the robot tuners in a bag with it in case I ever change my mind but I did have to ream out the holes to get the Grover’s in.

There are computer parts under the bridge and tailpiece that I’ve kept intact, but in order to do stuff with them they must be unhooked delicately.

For the people who had the robot tuners - why did you dislike them and what did they do for you that ultimately made you sour on them?

lpfan1980

Reaction score
HNGD! I've got the Silverburst one that I converted as well. I had to enlarge the tuning key holes from the back of the headstock to fit Grover locking tuners.

It was both an engineering marvel as well as nightmare to use over time, when the components start breaking down.

The original robot system had the robotic tuning keys at the headstock. Each tuning key has an electric motor inside the housing. However, the electronics and rechargeable battery are held in the control cavity. The tuning keys are powered by electricity that is sent by the battery in the control cavity through the guitar strings to the tuning pegs!

The battery is charged through the regular (but neutrik-locking) input jack. There is a power brick that attaches to a guitar cable to plug into the input jack to charge the battery. However, when your guitar is plugged into an amp, the voltage from the amp actually helps trickle charge the battery as well so the unit will always work when plugged into an amp.

The nightmare is that it is so overly complicated and individual components start wearing out and failing and after some point it stops working right. Since you can't buy replacement parts anymore, you eventually have to convert it to a regular guitar (which thankfully can be easily done).

Here's mine before and after conversion:

p1000003-jpg.65157

p1090259-jpg.89017
Nice Silverburst!:D

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I robotafied a silver studio…my poor mans “robot”
LOVE LOVE LOVE the generation 2 GForce btw…

50s wiring and routed a 3rd pup…57+ in the middle….and it’s always hot…
with single master tone obviously…only drawback I reckon but I like the always hot middle pup

fun fact: cutting the silver guard was harder than routing a middle pup…had to order a blade from Japan to cut it…went thru 3 butchered pickguards before getting it perfect and unable to see it had been modded

-chris

5347DBA4-3C52-4838-9F08-B676647A3AB2.jpeg

7B5A26DC-CE37-41B3-A71E-823643ABC26A.jpeg

tzd

Reaction score
There are computer parts under the bridge and tailpiece that I’ve kept intact, but in order to do stuff with them they must be unhooked delicately.

The saddle actually has piezo pickups in them. If you can figure out how to hook it up to an acoustic pre-amp, you can get some good semi-hollow tones out of them, since the body is chambered.

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Christosterone , are we the only guys in the world with Bigsbys and GForces on our Studios?

I love making the robots do all that work. Domo arigato.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Christosterone , are we the only guys in the world with Bigsbys and GForces on our Studios?

I love making the robots do all that work. Domo arigato.
Great minds think alike….
we probably are…hahaha…kinda cool now that I think about it

us ——>:h5:

I’ve become a massive fan of the GForce…if they made a gold one I’d likely re-outfit my entire stable

-chris

Reactions: Who

Matthewriot

Reaction score
The saddle actually has piezo pickups in them. If you can figure out how to hook it up to an acoustic pre-amp, you can get some good semi-hollow tones out of them, since the body is chambered.
I remember when I took off the saddles for something there was an electronic hookup there. I was wondering what that was! I’m not super advanced when it comes to the robot stuff. I kept hearing how people absolutely hated them so I didn’t even play around and immediately removed them. I always wondered why the robots are actually cheaper than other models, let alone not more than the other. Really weird. Especially with the chambered body and electronics.

Reactions: Who

Latest Threads