The Doug and Pat Show compare vintage Gibson Les Paul Customs

planks

Reaction score
"Doug and Pat ask you to imagine that you're somewhere back in the 1950's and boy you sure do like that real pretty Mary Ford gal and them nice looking guitars that she plays alongside that other guitar player fella she's with on the TV. You sure would like to get one of those guitars wouldn't you? But which one?

So you go to the local music store to try them out but do you spend the $250 (w/o case) for the "Standard" or do you go the entire $375 (w/o case) for the top of the line rig, the gold plated "Custom" just like Mary and what's his name play?

Well friends, Our time machine is working as we go back to celebrate both versions of the 'Black Beauty/Fretless Wonder" Les Paul "Custom" models from the '50s and compare them to the "Standard" models of the same vintage. Just plug into the '55 Fender amp just like then and strum away. This show is packed with fun facts that we just sort of make up as we go along and fun demos of the guitars to boot, Join us as we bring you a little bit of class from the past, The Gibson Les Paul Custo
m."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTk2xSIgFzw]The Doug and Pat Show compare vintage Gibson Les Paul Customs[/ame]

Enjoy!

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That was great, but who the heck are those guys?

Love that little Vox amp, and I have to say, if I had the time machine, I'd be getting the goldtops!

:)

planks

Reaction score
That was great, but who the heck are those guys?

Love that little Vox amp, and I have to say, if I had the time machine, I'd be getting the goldtops!

There's been three earlier threads with Doug and Pat here. They've been comparing vintage Standards, Juniors, Specials and Goldtops;

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/228721-1960-les-paul-standard-1958-les-paul-goldtop-demoed.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/231123-55-59-junior-comparo-doug-pat-again.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/229548-doug-pat-compare-gibson-les-paul-specials.html

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links - those had passed me by. But still, who are they? I can't seem to find any info about them.

planks

Reaction score
+1 on the Vox, is in a class of its own.

For a choice, I would take that 3 pickup '57 Custom, guitar sounds GREAT!

mdubya

Reaction score
They ALL sound great. Another gem of a video. Even the Fender amp sounds awesome. :)

mdubya

Reaction score
Thanks for the links - those had passed me by. But still, who are they? I can't seem to find any info about them.
As explained in one of the other threads, Doug was the guitar player for the band Quarteflash. I don't think he was an original member, nor did he play on their hits. I do believe he has been a session/studio player also.

No other explanations have been give, like where are all these awesome guitars coming from?

My guess is they each own a couple of them. All of the those guitars are really nice examples, too. :shock:

Backstage

Reaction score
... Even the Fender amp sounds awesome. :)
"Even" the Fender amp? ... /harrumph ;)

For a choice, I would take that 3 pickup '57 Custom, guitar sounds GREAT!
I got a Black Beauty with 3 pickups and its simply a totally different kind of beast (if nobody changed the toggle switch settings).
I am not sure if this is the best sound axe in this video. Ad hoc I would say the Goldtop beat the others by a nose :)

My guess is they each own a couple of them. All of the those guitars are really nice examples, too. :shock:
I asked myself the same. They showed us some lovely guitars so far, would be a nice collection.

planks

Reaction score
As explained in one of the other threads, Doug was the guitar player for the band Quarteflash. I don't think he was an original member, nor did he play on their hits. I do believe he has been a session/studio player also.
Found some other bits of info;

Before joining Quarterflash, Doug was a member of Johnny & The Distractions

"...Doug Fraser of Johnny & The Distractions. Five years later Doug would join Quarterflash to record the "Girl In The Wind" album for Epic Records. Fraser got his first taste of the big time with Gary Ogan in 1977 when Leon Russell flew Ogan and the band to Los Angeles to record for Russell's new Paradise label."

And (not guitar related tho); Doug Fraser, Broker - Real Estate Agent

58 special

Reaction score
Kind of dispels the theory that guitars that are in good shape are dogs.
Sort of like saying only rusty cars drive nice.

yeti

Reaction score
Anybody know some background on Pat?

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
mdubya & planks - thanks for the adintional info. I even remember Quarterflash (barely).

I thought I'd ask because sometimes these people on videos can be huge in one country, yet unknown anywhere else, like Toy Caldwell for instance, whom I'd never heard of before LPF/MLP. Always nice to discover somthing new!