The Dirk Ziff collection.

Guru Meditation

Reaction score
Well apart from that famous "wall of bursts" pic with Margouleff,are there any other pics of his massive collection?Or even better a book that I don't know of?I know it's too damn hard that more pics are out there,especially after the Ed King mishap,but I thought that maybe someone has some more pics...

Edit:I'm sorry,I posted it in the wrong section...

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's a list of Dirk's bursts which appear in BOTB. With the exception of people who know Dirk personally, I doubt that anybody will ever see the other bursts that he owns.

8-5413
8-5489
8-5495
8-5502
9-0382
9-0913
9-1061
9-1876
9-1884
9-1885
9-1898
9-1999
9-2204
9-2229
9-0299
9-0310
9-1234
9-1927
9-2225
9-2324
9-2342
0-0154
0-0208
0-1494
0-7170
0-7615
0-1490
8-3324
9-0875
8-3688
X-XXXX (pg 154)

Guru Meditation

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Danelectro!

To be honest,I don't blame him...I can only imagine how it feels when one is invited to his "Temple of bursts"...

guitarbob123

Reaction score
When he dies and they are passed on they will have to be careful with what happens to them. If they're all released to the market at once it'll bring prices down massively. Might also see recovery of some of the guitars that mysteriously vanished

FUS44

Reaction score
"especially after the Ed King mishap"

I'll bet there are a few long lost axes in there......

Bes628

Reaction score
When he dies and they are passed on they will have to be careful with what happens to them. If they're all released to the market at once it'll bring prices down massively. Might also see recovery of some of the guitars that mysteriously vanished

Sounds like a great thing to me.

Rollingrock

Reaction score

If they were passed to ME I would set the price or I would play a different one every day of the month you know what I mean brother? Lol!

guitarbob123

Reaction score
I thought he owned at least 100 or so?

The Ed King mishap was when a picture of Dirk Ziff's collection was printed in a burst book that Ed King (guitarist from Lynyrd Skynyrd for those who do not know) got a copy of. When looking through the picture he spotted a burst that had been stolen from him many years before. Eventually he had it returned, meaning Drik lost the money spent purchasing it.

Since then all copies of the book have been printed without that picture which suggests to me that he's got a few guitars that shouldn't really be in his collection, such as the Beano, the Bloomfield burst and others...

E.L. Fudge

Banned
Reaction score
what is the Ed King mishap?

Ed King had a Burst stolen some years back. Part of the Ziff collection was included in an article on Bursts, or maybe even the book 'Beauty of the Burst'. Ed King recognized one of the Bursts as the one which was stolen from him years ago. He hired an attorney, who contacted Ziff, and Ziff returned the Burst to it's rightful owner.

weirdotis

Reaction score
Since then all copies of the book have been printed without that picture which suggests to me that he's got a few guitars that shouldn't really be in his collection, such as the Beano, the Bloomfield burst and others...

Do you think he has the Beano? :hmm:

Rollingrock

Reaction score
Thanks for answering the Ed King mishap. I thought it would be something along those lines. If it was his guitar and I'm assuming he could prove ownership then he should've gotten it back but...I remember seeing an article in the mid nineties about him having serious heart problems that included a heart bypass surgery. The doctors told him NOT to participate in an upcoming tour because it would kill him. The other members did what anyone would've done, they got a replacement and he sued them! I'm not saying Ed King isn't a top notch guitarist. I'm just saying with the heart mishap the Ziff incident aside his history early on with leaving the band a couple times he always came off to me as kind of a dick! Anyone else remember these events? Maybe it's just me.

FUS44

Reaction score
Do you think he has the Beano? :hmm:

I'm fairly sure he has the premier(if not top 3) burst collection worldwide.
I was also under the impression he has (a lot) more than 31 bursts.
That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Beano lies in his vault (although I think the likely location is still London)
If the book is now printed minus the pic, I imagine my previous comment regarding long lost guitars is accurrate.

Rollingrock

Reaction score
Here's a story from '97 about how Ed King was reunited with his Burst. I've only heard people speak very highly of Ed King, including Lynyrd Skynyrd's long time tour manager, who was a neighbor of mine for years.

That's cool! I've NEVER met Ed King. That's just the picture that formed from media tidbits thru the years. I'm glad he's cool. Know one wants to find out someone they admire is D-bag! Did you ever play with him?

Latest Threads