The Definitive Top Carve Thread

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with using poplar! Looks great. Here's my LP with a poplar back and mahogany neck. I do need to change those knobs, though. :D

I love that guitar. I want a LP with a Floyd one day

red_house356

Reaction score
Now I can already hear people screaming at their screens “BUT THE TOPCARVES WERE ALL SO DIFFERENT!!!” Let’s talk about that.
I already mentioned having the ‘56, but I also had a ‘53 on-hand as well. How and why you may wonder? Well I am kind of a psycho, and I literally bought a 1953 Les Paul for the express purpose of having one to reference for builds. That’s the level of extremes I tend to take things to.

*Edit*
I have some more contours to show for comparison
View attachment 443311
View attachment 443312
These are contours from two 1959s, a ‘55, and on the very bottom a ‘53 (not my ‘53, but a separate one). Pretty darn similar

View attachment 443313
These demonstrate the amount of variation a ‘59 on the top and a ‘53 under. The ‘53 had a much deeper recarve at the widest point of the lower bout, but the centerline at the tail end was practically identical
Wow, I’m glad I stumbled upon this. I have a ‘53 Les Paul that’s being stripped as we speak. It was refin’d and had some work done on the top by the bridge pickup. It looks intact, but I am by no means, an expert.

Hope to compare your ‘53 measurements to mine.

Edit: Found and ordered a contour gauge. Should be here soon.

C0A84FB6-E6A1-4B4F-9EB1-C2DC29406318.jpeg

Last edited:

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I’m glad I stumbled upon this. I have a ‘53 Les Paul that’s being stripped as we speak. It was refin’d and had some work done on the top by the bridge pickup. It looks intact, but I am by no means, an expert.

Hope to compare your ‘53 measurements to mine.

Edit: Found and ordered a contour gauge. Should be here soon.
Nice looking guitar man!

red_house356

Reaction score
A note concerning recurve. There are 2 kinds of recurve present on these old tops that I have observed. There is flat recurve (essentially 90* to the sides), and there is concave recurve that subtly dips below the binding height. The pic below will try to visually describe what I’m saying.

in blue - flat recurve
In red - concave recurve
View attachment 434337
I received the contour gauge. I can confirm the the concave recurve. My ‘53 Les Paul is an early to mid 1953 due to the grounding cavity for the trapeze tailpiece. It has that distinct recurve up to the binding.

Thankfully like the carvetop was preserved :slash:

7FBAF63F-479D-4ECC-B5B7-CA01529C893D.jpeg

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received the contour gauge. I can confirm the the concave recurve. My ‘53 Les Paul is an early to mid 1953 due to the grounding cavity for the trapeze tailpiece. It has that distinct recurve up to the binding.

Thankfully like the carvetop was preserved :slash:

View attachment 505901
I’m guessing you took that contour from just below the the bridge pickup cavity...between there and the bridge anyway
EF143630-7842-4858-88E5-840D9FC9FDD8.jpeg

red_house356

Reaction score
Yes I did, right between the bridge and bridge. My bad, should’ve specified. Contours throughout your thread match my ‘53 Les Paul. Will take other photos soon. Have finals for Grad School and I’m pretty swamped.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
*Mod Edit*

Negative commentary of previous poster removed

That is all fine, but I (and I know I’m not alone) joined this - a Les Paul forum - for the sole purpose of learning to build Les Pauls. This thread is for them.

And thank you Daniel, for all your hard work and efforts.

Hopefully, those others who seem to throw monkey wrenches in the works around here will catch on and take the hint. Or they will no longer be welcome in this community.

jiveturkey1

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210222-211601.png

Would it be possible to re-carve a completed modern Gibson Les Paul's top? I'd like to get a Studio 50's tribute (any color) and strip the paint, carve the top to get close to a real 50's then repaint it with correct gold paint and lacquer, front and back to make an all gold 50s Tribute Studio with a killer carve. I don't see how it could be done with a router because the top isn't flat to start with. Probably be hand work with contour gages. Is there enough "meat" to start with or has the factory already taken too much off the top. Obviously you'd be dishing it out more along the edges. Anyway, just an idea but kinda serious about trying it. Thanks!

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 521309

Would it be possible to re-carve a completed modern Gibson Les Paul's top? I'd like to get a Studio 50's tribute (any color) and strip the paint, carve the top to get close to a real 50's then repaint it with correct gold paint and lacquer, front and back to make an all gold 50s Tribute Studio with a killer carve. I don't see how it could be done with a router because the top isn't flat to start with. Probably be hand work with contour gages. Is there enough "meat" to start with or has the factory already taken too much off the top. Obviously you'd be dishing it out more along the edges. Anyway, just an idea but kinda serious about trying it. Thanks!
It would definitely be hand work with contour gauges. No router. I’m sure it could be done...or at least something close

Latest Threads