The Definitive Top Carve Thread

emoney

Reaction score
Great work Daniel! And Scott, if I recall correctly, you even said back then, something to the effect of "...until someone comes along and corrects me" when you released those templates, so no apology necessary.

For the record, you CAD/CnC guys, there's a 1958 for sale on Ebay right now for only $79,000.00 Problem solved! It's a refinish that's had some alterations made to the headstock, but once you factor in sanding for the refin, you should still get the accurate top contours. I mean, that's pretty cheap you hafta admit.

Now, if you really want something special, you can purchase an Emoney LP with my own contours/steps for less than half of that cost. They're on sale through Valentine's Day for only $25,000.00 USD. I know, I know....I'm a sucker for romance.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
*Mod Edit*

And sorry I didn't catch this earlier.

This thread isn't for personal opinions on the "rights or wrongs" of things. It is strictly an information thread.

And I'm growing quite tired of frequently having to come in and edit or moderate YOU in this community of builders.

There has been more than enough "bad vibe" in this forum, a forum where only good vibes should be happening.

Sir, if you do not like what has been demonstrated in this thread, then please leave the forum instead of voicing negative opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
*Mod Edit*

Negative commentary of previous poster removed

That is all fine, but I (and I know I’m not alone) joined this - a Les Paul forum - for the sole purpose of learning to build Les Pauls. This thread is for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snappy Joe

Reaction score
Early Gold Tops had a much more prominent carving than the late 50ie LP. There is no one carve that fits all years.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry, are this the corresponding cross sections for the file you uploaded on the first post? If so, can you tell wich one correspond to what reference? thanks in advance
They’re in order from top to bottom

60'svibe

Reaction score
OMG too much ado about nothing. My favorite LP is the Les Paul SC Junior. So there.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Early Gold Tops had a much more prominent carving than the late 50ie LP. There is no one carve that fits all years.
My suspicion is that the early ones with the nice prominent carves were made before Gibson brought in that most abominable tool of all, the one from the very depths of hell itself, the "slack belt sander" which is made for rapidly sanding doors flat. The Destroyer of Contours.

If I ran Gibson I would personally cut that infernal creation into smoking chunks with a cutting torch, throw the chunks in the dumpster, and give a solemn promise that any person who even SUGGESTS that the company needs another slack belt sander will be fired before he can complete the suggestion, and barred for life from ever working for any guitar manufacturer worldwide, for life.

Let's make a nice top contour and then sand it back to almost flat with a giant belt sander! Great idea! NOT!!!!

pshupe

Reaction score
My suspicion is that the early ones with the nice prominent carves were made before Gibson brought in that most abominable tool of all, the one from the very depths of hell itself, the "slack belt sander" which is made for rapidly sanding doors flat. The Destroyer of Contours.

If I ran Gibson I would personally cut that infernal creation into smoking chunks with a cutting torch, throw the chunks in the dumpster, and give a solemn promise that any person who even SUGGESTS that the company needs another slack belt sander will be fired before he can complete the suggestion, and barred for life from ever working for any guitar manufacturer worldwide, for life.

Let's make a nice top contour and then sand it back to almost flat with a giant belt sander! Great idea! NOT!!!!
Or maybe it was just a company, like any other, that wanted to make a profit building something to sell to people. I'm sure they never imagined in their wildest dreams that hundreds of people would agonize over what type of glue they used or why they sanded 1/8" off in 1956 vs 1/16" in 1959. They used a belt sander because it was the quickest way to take out marks from rough machining, or dings from production. As long as the guitar played and looked good they could sell it. It puzzles me how we can take a look at 3 or 4 guitars from that era and say yep this is the only way they were done and they should all be within 1/32" of this or your guitar is crap?

Cheers Peter.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It puzzles me how we can take a look at 3 or 4 guitars from that era and say yep this is the only way they were done and they should all be within 1/32" of this or your guitar is crap!

Cheers Peter.
Literally nobody said that. There are unquestionably many variations...probably as many as there were guitars made to one degree or another. This is simply verifiable information collected from actual vintage guitars. Take it or leave it.

pshupe

Reaction score
Literally nobody said that. There are unquestionably many variations...probably as many as there were guitars made to one degree or another. This is simply verifiable information collected from actual vintage guitars. Take it or leave it.
Sorry - I don't mean to get snarky but the title of the thread and the apologetic nature regarding Scott's plans seem to suggest otherwise. Your quote above is exactly my stand point but it seems to be the opposite of what people have said regarding other plans, or top carves in the past. Even the one that Scott's plans were based. It may not have been intentional but could definitely be construed as such.

It's great that we are all trying to get to a better way for DIYers to reproduce a top carve "representative" of the ones created by Gibson in the 50's. And I think this thread is exactly that, and that's great, but it should be stated plainly as such.

As I said earlier if we really want a top carve exactly like a 59 Burst for example you would need to 3d laser scan a 59 burst and CNC machine it, which I have been involved, and people could purchase currently.

Cheers Peter.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry - I don't mean to get snarky but the title of the thread and the apologetic nature regarding Scott's plans seem to suggest otherwise. Your quote above is exactly my stand point but it seems to be the opposite of what people have said regarding other plans, or top carves in the past. Even the one that Scott's plans were based. It may not have been intentional but could definitely be construed as such.

It's great that we are all trying to get to a better way for DIYers to reproduce a top carve "representative" of the ones created by Gibson in the 50's. And I think this thread is exactly that, and that's great, but it should be stated plainly as such.

As I said earlier if we really want a top carve exactly like a 59 Burst for example you would need to 3d laser scan a 59 burst and CNC machine it, which I have been involved, and people could purchase currently.

Cheers Peter.
My original title of this thread was “The definitive top carve? (You can decide)”. Implicit in that is a question for the viewer to answer for themselves. The moderator must’ve changed the title. I did not.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheers Peter.
I went back to the 1st post and added a disclaimer explaining the intent more clearly.

Latest Threads