The day John Lennon died

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the year I graduated high school. I was a Beatles fan, but thought John had lost his mind and didn't care for him anymore. Paid little attention to it.

@toymaker, I lost my mom in 2019. So, whatever it is that makes you remember a good mom fondly, something good, or something bad, I salute you and I salute her.
To good mom's. :cheers2:

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was 20 and was messing around in the basement and the game was on in the background, all I was interested was the halftime show where they showed all the highlights of other games. Way before espn and 24 hour sports.

Howard broke the news and I was stunned.
It was one of those moments that you just had to tell someone but no one else was home so I walked upstairs and my sisters girlfriend happened to be sitting there and I told her. She started crying which at the time kind of surprised me.

I just remember for the next couple of days they played the hell out of that double fantasy album..

toymaker

Reaction score
The whole thing with Double Fantasy - Geffen probably owes some of his success to this tragedy.

I mean he was still relatively “new” in 1980 just starting out on his own - he scored his first big chance with Lennon - who had been away from the scene for what 6 years ? And whose prior efforts weren’t exactly record breaking - especially compared to the other 3 Beatles. Imagine was successful- but not much else.

Geffen bet it all on Lennon and the comeback - and it was starting to look like a losing bet. The album wasn’t well received and was half dead weight. It could have been a major flop but then John was murdered and fans were snapping it up as quickly as they could press copies.

Didn’t Geffen also hold a million dollar life insurance policy on Lennon too ? (standard if your going to invest so much in someone and risk their not being able to complete the album) - shoulda renamed it Double Indemnity after this.

Anyone know what happened to the copy of Double Fantasy John signed for Chapman that morning?

six-string

Reaction score
um not to contradict, but David Geffen had been big in the music business for many years before 1980,
I believe he started at William Morris Agency in the 1960s?
He had a couple labels that he ran before Geffen records in the 1970s, most notably Asylum records which had Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, Laura Nyro even Dylan for a while.
I believe he signed the Eagles, and had Linda Rondstadt, J.D. Souther, Warren Zevon and others all under contract long before 1980.

Latest Threads