The Day I Played a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard

Zosofancmr

Reaction score
Thought I'd share this here as it is one of the coolest things that's ever happened to me, and of all people, you all would appreciate it the most.

So two years ago this month I got back home from a year long stint in Iraq. I was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington at the time, about 45 minutes south of Seattle. Needless to say I was pretty pumped to be back home! One of the first things I did was head up to Seattle and visit my favorite guitar shop up there (I'm going to leave the name of the shop out of this). I knew this particular shop had the holy grail, a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard. They actually also had a 1960 in the case right next to it.

So I walked into the shop, and began talking to the clerk, mentioning how I just got home from Iraq the day before and he stated, "Dude if there is any guitar you want to play in here, just let me know!" The shop was stuffed with vintage strats, teles, pretty much everything under the sun, but I said, "Well, how about the '59 Les Paul?" to which he replied, "Dude, I'm not trying to get fired or anything!"

Anyway we kept chatting, and then suddenly he left to go talk to the owner of the shop who then came over to me and told me to follow him. He took me to the case with the '59 unlocked it and handed it to me. I was gobsmacked! Never in my life did I ever think I would hold in my hands an actual 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard!

I noodled around for a bit, they took a few pictures for me, and then I gave it back. The price tag for the instrument was $360,000! I was sweating bullets the entire time. I was later told the last person to play it before me was John Mayer, and the next person was Joe Bonamassa. Not too bad of company if I may say so myself!

So that's my story, I thought it was pretty cool, one of the nicer things anyone's ever done for me.

Attachments

• 44496_10150228592180504_8231112_n.jpg
    44496_10150228592180504_8231112_n.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 256

RobinOC

Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't make you take off the zippered/metal buttoned jacket and your belt with the metal buckle. I would have.

Anyway, (very) lucky you!! You now know what to aim for sonically when searching for a new LP.

old mark

Reaction score
You probably got to play at least $1200 of it...Great. Glad you are back home. Enjoy and all the best.

mark
504 PIR

3pupLPC

Reaction score
great story. Glad you are home safe, and thank you. My nephew was jsut deployed, but he's going to Okinawa. Hopefully that's where he will stay...

PSM

Reaction score
Very nice, dude! That's definitely some company to be in and I bet it was a blast gettin some licks in on that thing!

michaelinokc

Reaction score
Glad you're home safe. I'm a name dropper, though. Emerald City Guitars is the name of the shop. It's a great little vintage shop in Seattle.

tdarian

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your great LP experience with us, and thanks for your service!

TateTheGreat

Reaction score
Thank you for your service man, I really appreciate it and I really do mean that. Thats a great story, im glad you got to play it, you deserve it. I've been trying to play Jay Giels 1959 Les Paul Standard thats been on eBay for a year now. Its in Boston, like 45minutes away from me, id love to play it! I have a 1959 Les Paul Junior Singlecut, very rare! But its no standard! haha. Take care!

Lipinhu

Reaction score
Great story, and of corse, congratulations.

It's a 59 and has been played by those guys before and she ain't got a home?
Weird.

Latest Threads