The Custom Lite

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
When the hell did the Custom Lite become so expensive on the used market? I bought one back in 2016 for $1600 - $1700. I see them listed on Reverb for $2300+. Might as well just get a regular Custom if I'm going to pay that much.

I wish Gibson would make the Custom Lite again with an ebony board, or even richlite. Rosewood just doesn't look or feel right on a Custom.

ARandall

Reaction score
No more made, and more people being alert to them as a cheap option for the bling of a custom. It only takes 1 or 2 sales at a higher price before suddenly they're all there.
I was buying 50s p90s for $200-$250ea in that timeframe. They're $800 or more each now.

Inflation due to popular demand......it's pretty old news.

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
It's funny: Back in 2003 you could buy a used 80s Les Paul Custom (not the "lite" version) in Sunburst for around 1600€ in Germany's stores. Now Norlins are sold for around 3600€ here...

MSB

Reaction score
No more made, and more people being alert to them as a cheap option for the bling of a custom. It only takes 1 or 2 sales at a higher price before suddenly they're all there.
I was buying 50s p90s for $200-$250ea in that timeframe. They're $800 or more each now.

all of this, plus, the thin body and belly cut is an extremely comfortable guitar to play with the name Gibson Les Paul on it.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Found that to be true this weekend when I was looking around for a relatively Les expensive LP Custom. Slim pickings, for sure.

Same with the Classic Custom model. People asking way more than I expected.

Would like to find a Custom without issues for Les than $2600 but not sure that's doable?

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Found that to be true this weekend when I was looking around for a relatively Les expensive LP Custom. Slim pickings, for sure.

Same with the Classic Custom model. People asking way more than I expected.

Would like to find a Custom without issues for Les than $2600 but not sure that's doable?
Yes, the classic custom commands good $$. I really like the ones before they switched to baked maple fretboards. I think it was only a year or 2?

pondcaster

Reaction score
Yes, the classic custom commands good $$. I really like the ones before they switched to baked maple fretboards. I think it was only a year or 2?
I'm still learning about LPs, for sure.

Fwiw, I'm (still?) looking at one on GC's used site that's a 2012 in wine red. Looks sweet but so far, they've been unwilling to budge on price.

Would rather have a Custom Lite ebony model, but can't find one that's in my price range?

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
You could always have one built from a 2014 Melody Maker. Same body without the binding or ebony board. And because it has P-90s, you could also have a truly custom Custom, with the P-90s, mini humbuckers, or have the body routed for humbuckers.

Shit, I have a '14 MM. I should "Customize" it...

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score

Still, they’re not really that close to a real Custom. Not the same p/u output, fretboard, and aren’t Custom Shop made. Neck profiles might be a little different too. The only thing the lite has that the regular Custom has is the block inlays.

Jupper

Reaction score
Still, they’re not really that close to a real Custom. Not the same p/u output, fretboard, and aren’t Custom Shop made. Neck profiles might be a little different too. The only thing the lite has that the regular Custom has is the block inlays.
Visually, a Custom Lite is as close to the Custom as a guitar can get. It has the binding on the body, neck, and headstock. It has the same block inlays on the fretboard. And it has the same split diamond inlay on the headstock(on some models). The only obvious glaring difference would be the Rosewood fingerboard. But otherwise, it looks like a Custom from the front if you didn't look at the thinner body on the back.
IMG_3447.JPG

As MSB said, the thin body and belly cut that makes it much more lightweight than a regular custom might be valued by some people. The body construction is definitely something that's unique and rare for Gibson Les Pauls. Pickup-wise, it also rocks the 498T/496R combo that many Custom Shop Customs use. So even though it might be rising in price on the market, it's still a good, cheaper alternative to Custom Shop Customs.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I wonder what they actually sell for. I paid less than $1000 for mine- used- mint condition- in Europe about five years ago. I have seen them listed used at more than twice that- recently.

No kidding... they are not custom shop guitars.... and not CS prices. I just like the look, and the neck is big enough.

kenmarkat

Reaction score
I'm still learning about LPs, for sure.

Fwiw, I'm (still?) looking at one on GC's used site that's a 2012 in wine red. Looks sweet but so far, they've been unwilling to budge on price.

Would rather have a Custom Lite ebony model, but can't find one that's in my price range?
I bought a 2012 Wine Red CC new back in 2012 from Sweetwater for about $2,000, and now they seem to go as high as $2,400 used. It appears to me that it was a sleeper - people didn't know how good they were until they purchased it, and those who don't like it for this reason or that often haven't ever actually tried playing one.

Having said that, it's a really great guitar for me. It has the baked maple, but honestly I have a few guitars with ebony and don't even notice that this one doesn't, and even if the color of the fretboard is important to you (it seems to be to some) you can easily darken it the first time the strings are changed with a little oil. I love that guitar as does the rest of my band and haven't heard complaints from anyone who actually has one, but then again a guitar is just in the end a tool for me and I don't get too involved with details - if it plays well, I can make it sound like I want it to sound and looks nice that's all I care about. Hope you can get it or one like it eventually - it's really a sweet guitar but up to you as to how desirable it actually will be once you actually can try it out. Between gigging with it, a single coil Strat and a Carvin 12 string with coil lifters and a phase switch all through a pedal I can pretty much get any sound I want now and that's my priority. Good luck with it!

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2012 Wine Red CC new back in 2012 from Sweetwater for about $2,000, and now they seem to go as high as $2,400 used. It appears to me that it was a sleeper - people didn't know how good they were until they purchased it, and those who don't like it for this reason or that often haven't ever actually tried playing one.

Having said that, it's a really great guitar for me. It has the baked maple, but honestly I have a few guitars with ebony and don't even notice that this one doesn't, and even if the color of the fretboard is important to you (it seems to be to some) you can easily darken it the first time the strings are changed with a little oil. I love that guitar as does the rest of my band and haven't heard complaints from anyone who actually has one, but then again a guitar is just in the end a tool for me and I don't get too involved with details - if it plays well, I can make it sound like I want it to sound and looks nice that's all I care about. Hope you can get it or one like it eventually - it's really a sweet guitar but up to you as to how desirable it actually will be once you actually can try it out. Between gigging with it, a single coil Strat and a Carvin 12 string with coil lifters and a phase switch all through a pedal I can pretty much get any sound I want now and that's my priority. Good luck with it!
My preference for ebony has little to do with the color. I just like how smooth it feels when playing. Rosewood is fine too, but I've been into Customs for quite some time, and there's just something special about the ebony board.

Deftone

Reaction score
LPCL's are my favorite guitars. I'm on my 3rd, I currently have an '89 LPCL with a factory Floyd Rose. It's my personal Holy Grail.

IMG_2036a.JPG

I also have a 2014 Standard Light which is amazing.

IMG_2105a.JPG

My 1st LPCL was an '88 Cherryburst, then I had an '87 Black.

LPCL 001.jpg

I also had a '89 Studio Lite with a Floyd. Same thin style body. Baseball back for a neck but I loved that thing.

IMG_0042.JPG

No one wanted anything to do with these guitars 10 years ago, but I always loved them.

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
LPCL's are my favorite guitars. I'm on my 3rd, I currently have an '89 LPCL with a factory Floyd Rose. It's my personal Holy Grail.

View attachment 475603

I also have a 2014 Standard Light which is amazing.

View attachment 475604

My 1st LPCL was an '88 Cherryburst, then I had an '87 Black.

View attachment 475606

I also had a '89 Studio Lite with a Floyd. Same thin style body. Baseball back for a neck but I loved that thing.

View attachment 475610

No one wanted anything to do with these guitars 10 years ago, but I always loved them.
Wow, the 88 looks great! I've never seen one in that color before. There was a late 80's model on Reverb for a little less than $3k not long ago. It was mint condition in metallic cherry. Wish I could have bought it.

Latest Threads