The crushing disappointment of removing your customebucker cover.....

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah been mentioned a few times already, wouldn’t have made a difference as was I removing anyway. The one white bobbin I have is an alnico 5 with a d.c. resistance of 7.5, not keen on the alnico 5 upper freq, through my amps it’s a bit harsh, it’s less harsh on the el-34, I want a white in the R0, might see if I can pick up a good single white used from somewhere.

Dilver

Reaction score
Larry DiMarzio trademarked the double cream humbucker years ago.... Gibson can’t produce any without a license from DiMarzio..... when they do you can bet they won’t cover them.

Zebras are OK,... but not double creams.

Go figure.
And yet practically every independent boutique pickup maker can do double cream all day long....

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it was coming off anyway, as this guitar is now called Pagey. It was called Beano when the wizz was installed. I'm still searching for that lightweight R8 for the wizz pafs.
Did someone say something about Wizzo?

EP-190309216.jpg&updated=201903081833&MaxW=900&maxH=900&noborder&Q=80.jpg

ARandall

Reaction score
And yet practically every independent boutique pickup maker can do double cream all day long....
Because a lot of them aren't in the USA, or are shipping to outside the USA.

Go to Sigil website for example.....the Bluesman 66 (beano LP clone) is only available as the Beano colour configuration to non USA customers.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Double White PAFs cost a little more than your average R9........but they're white and should be okay.......;)

trapland

Reaction score
Larry DiMarzio trademarked the double cream humbucker years ago.... Gibson can’t produce any without a license from DiMarzio..... when they do you can bet they won’t cover them.

Zebras are OK,... but not double creams.

Go figure.
Ummm.... exposed double creams maybe. Under the cover they can do whatever they want.

trapland

Reaction score
I have an R8 that came with zebra Custombuckers under the cover. But the dealer (Daves) ordered a LOT of R8s and spec’ed them that way. Zebra sounds much better than plain old black.

ARandall

Reaction score
Ummm.... exposed double creams maybe. Under the cover they can do whatever they want.
Duncan was pinged for that though....
The issue is that most small makers will be reluctant to do anything if they have been exposed to the trademark restriction

2Muchgear

Reaction score
The trademark only applies within the US.

Selling cream bobbins under a cover is a common workaround. I believe the issue is specifically with offering cream as an option a buyer can choose. If the bobbins under the cover "just so happen" to be cream, it can't be argued that the cream bobbins were used to sell the pickup. Or something.

DiMarzio went upside Duncan's head a while back for selling creams under covers. There are a lot of double cream Antiquities out there. Smaller companies get away with it. And since the trademark is US only, winders from elsewhere don't worry about it which is why companies like Wizz and Bareknuckle can sell them openly.
I swapped magnets in the set of AntI have in my R9 - found a zebra under the cover in the neck and a double cream in the bridge. They’re still there...under the covers!

Adinol

Reaction score
And finding a double black underneath.
what a nightmare to remove as well, they had rolled the bottom edge over the baseplate. so had to bend it back which has marked the bottom of the cover, which is annoying.

View attachment 493519
Please excuse my ignorance, I need a little bit of clarification about this topic.

You removed covers just to see what bobbins are there, or were you hoping to end up with zebra p'ups after removing the bobbins?

If so, what is the reason (in a nutshell)?

Again, sorry if I sound ignorant, but I started reading through some replies and it clearly sounds like everyone (but me) here knows what this is all about.

I'm just hoping for some clarification.

Thanks...

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance, I need a little bit of clarification about this topic.

You removed covers just to see what bobbins are there, or were you hoping to end up with zebra p'ups after removing the bobbins?

If so, what is the reason (in a nutshell)?

Again, sorry if I sound ignorant, but I started reading through some replies and it clearly sounds like everyone (but me) here knows what this is all about.

I'm just hoping for some clarification.

Thanks...
hey no problem, I took the cover off as was going to be reinstalling it (the original bridge pickup), now, the issue seems to be, that I was unaware that white is quite rare when it comes to reissues. So people have jumped in pointing out that i could have checked without taking the cover off, missing two important points, one i was making a lighthearted post, kinda like betting on red and it coming up black. and two, i was taking cover off regardless for a Page look, the white would have been pre 71 correct, as it is now it is post 71 in look. so to summarise, no, i did not remove cover to see what the colour of the bobbins was.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I am supposed to be getting a handle on my impulsiveness, as it gets me into all sorts of trouble. I thank you for pointing it out, I will revisit some of my CBT notes and strategies. I do not mention this lightly in social situations. I was diagnosed late (late 40's) in life with ASD and ADHD, this was not a GP doctors 'oh that fits' diagnosis, but a Consultants, with people I know interviewed right back to childhood, school records and many other evidentiary pieces taken into account. Quality of life has improved massively since treatment, to the point I undertook and finished a BA Hons, graduating with first class Honours. I am presently finishing an M.A which is something that never in my wildest dreams was in my future.
Congratulations to you for all your accomplishments, Brek!

d1m1

Reaction score
Dimarzio trademarked the double white in the USA only. Thats why winders like Wizz or Ox4 can do double whites. But also winders in the USA do double whites :dude:

Adinol

Reaction score
hey no problem, I took the cover off as was going to be reinstalling it (the original bridge pickup), now, the issue seems to be, that I was unaware that white is quite rare when it comes to reissues. So people have jumped in pointing out that i could have checked without taking the cover off, missing two important points, one i was making a lighthearted post, kinda like betting on red and it coming up black. and two, i was taking cover off regardless for a Page look, the white would have been pre 71 correct, as it is now it is post 71 in look. so to summarise, no, i did not remove cover to see what the colour of the bobbins was.
OK, thank you for taking the time to explain.

Sometimes there are details that people discuss that I can't always understand, as I don't always keep up with the latest information.

Again, thanks...

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is never more true with Gibson and the les Paul, my head spins trying to work out what’s what.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Hi Brek. Totally appreciated the spirit and humour of your original post. The info other posters contributed about how to check bobbin colour without taking off the covers was really interesting to me though, as I had not heard it before...

Guitar looks really cool with 1 pickup cover off at the bridge, great top on it also. Is it an R0 or did you add the reflectors yourself?

vortexx

Reaction score
I am supposed to be getting a handle on my impulsiveness, as it gets me into all sorts of trouble. I thank you for pointing it out, I will revisit some of my CBT notes and strategies. I do not mention this lightly in social situations. I was diagnosed late (late 40's) in life with ASD and ADHD, this was not a GP doctors 'oh that fits' diagnosis, but a Consultants, with people I know interviewed right back to childhood, school records and many other evidentiary pieces taken into account. Quality of life has improved massively since treatment, to the point I undertook and finished a BA Hons, graduating with first class Honours. I am presently finishing an M.A which is something that never in my wildest dreams was in my future.
My impulsiveness is very bad and lately, within the last couple of years my mind drifts if I'm trying to read a short story even. I see a shrink for meds for depression that haven't been working to well lately, so the concentration may be due to that. Impulsiveness all my life though.

ARandall

Reaction score
I always find it.....odd.....that for those who are taking 1 cover off that it is the bridge position it is done to.

Out of the two it is not the one that could do with the resultant extra treble.....in by far the majority of cases people are rolling down the tone control on the bridge pickup....especially in the more vintage setup method where the neck position is used to setup the basic tone.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always find it.....odd.....that for those who are taking 1 cover off that it is the bridge position it is done to.

Out of the two it is not the one that could do with the resultant extra treble.....in by far the majority of cases people are rolling down the tone control on the bridge pickup....especially in the more vintage setup method where the neck position is used to setup the basic tone.
Good point, we? (well I) do it for blind slavishly copying what others do. Maybe there is a lesson there. Well not maybe, there is.

Latest Threads