The crushing disappointment of removing your customebucker cover.....

Brek

Reaction score
And finding a double black underneath.
what a nightmare to remove as well, they had rolled the bottom edge of the cover over the baseplate. so had to bend it back which has marked the bottom of the cover, which is annoying.

804869E3-67BA-4510-B5BA-AFAEC86DA124.jpeg

Last edited:

Brek

Reaction score
:laugh2: send it back.

Was it sounding a bit dark?
I did record some single notes and chords using a waveform analyser with the beano pickup installed which have an alnico 5, will be interesting to see how the harmonic content differs. (when i say interesting, to me it is, YMMV).

Brek

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. You could have simply removed one of the adjustable pole screws and saved yourself a lot of hassle!
it was coming off anyway, as this guitar is now called Pagey. It was called Beano when the wizz was installed. I'm still searching for that lightweight R8 for the wizz pafs.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry DiMarzio trademarked the double cream humbucker years ago.... Gibson can’t produce any without a license from DiMarzio..... when they do you can bet they won’t cover them.

Zebras are OK,... but not double creams.

Go figure.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other boutique makers can make them as long as they are sold covered.

Again..... go figure.

Brek

Reaction score
i was not aware that any white uncovered was trademarked, damn. my wizz neck PU is white. Irony though as i have put a cover on the white one, so might stick that in then as want the pre '72 number 1 page look.

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man! That is a gorgeous piece. Love the color, and it has a nice dark board.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
i was not aware that any white uncovered was trademarked, damn. my wizz neck PU is white. might stick that in then as want the pre '72 number 1 page look.
The trademark only applies within the US.

Selling cream bobbins under a cover is a common workaround. I believe the issue is specifically with offering cream as an option a buyer can choose. If the bobbins under the cover "just so happen" to be cream, it can't be argued that the cream bobbins were used to sell the pickup. Or something.

DiMarzio went upside Duncan's head a while back for selling creams under covers. There are a lot of double cream Antiquities out there. Smaller companies get away with it. And since the trademark is US only, winders from elsewhere don't worry about it which is why companies like Wizz and Bareknuckle can sell them openly.

moreles

Reaction score
All the stuff you were curious about is known and the information is readily available. Your curiosity and go-for-it impulsiveness are admirable (to me, anyway) but you would have avoided the disappointment by doing your homework first. Since lots of people want double-cream bobbins, Dimarzio understandably wants to retain the value of that look for themselves, even if it seems that they got the right in a legal but bogus manner, since they weren't the originators. Overseas companies are too hard to sue.

Brek

Reaction score
Thanks Uncle Vinnie, iphones playing fast and loose with the colours though, its grabbed the red and boosted it, making the fade look uneven.
this is with the beano double black in sunlight.

2B6662F6-A426-48FB-955F-D89A46742282.jpeg

Brek

Reaction score
I am supposed to be getting a handle on my impulsiveness, as it gets me into all sorts of trouble. I thank you for pointing it out, I will revisit some of my CBT notes and strategies. I do not mention this lightly in social situations. I was diagnosed late (late 40's) in life with ASD and ADHD, this was not a GP doctors 'oh that fits' diagnosis, but a Consultants, with people I know interviewed right back to childhood, school records and many other evidentiary pieces taken into account. Quality of life has improved massively since treatment, to the point I undertook and finished a BA Hons, graduating with first class Honours. I am presently finishing an M.A which is something that never in my wildest dreams was in my future.

ARandall

Reaction score
Good for you on managing to overcome some of the more extreme aspects of your issue.

This forum should help too - next time you feel impulsive channel it into research. There is very little info missing in anything music related that is not covered by the various subforums. So you have a treasure trove of fact that will prevent either mis-step or disappointment.
Truth be told I did feel you might have something of this condition based on the nature of your posting.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
You can tell what color the bobbins on a humbucker are without removing the cover. Just back out one pole screw on the front and one brass screw on the back of the slug bobbin and look inside.

Latest Threads