The Correct Way To Relic A GoldTop ??

fleahead

Reaction score
Why do most all of you think that because someone owns or does their own relic-ing that they're "trying to fool someone"? That we're "fan boys"? That we pretend to be cool like our heros?

WTF does ANY of that have to do with anything. I would be willing to bet that the overwhelming community of owners of aged guitars like them because THEY LOOK COOL. Or they look like a guitar that they admire. whether from an artist or a page in BOTB.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
^ There are some very insecure people about. They have very rigid definitions of what it takes to be a 'player'. They cannot help but react aggressively when other people have more relaxed attitudes because it compromises their own sense of security and identity.

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
Why do most all of you think that because someone owns or does their own relic-ing that they're "trying to fool someone"? That we're "fan boys"? That we pretend to be cool like our heros?

WTF does ANY of that have to do with anything. I would be willing to bet that the overwhelming community of owners of aged guitars like them because THEY LOOK COOL. Or they look like a guitar that they admire. whether from an artist or a page in BOTB.
I know! They'll pay $400,000 for someone else's DNA though they didn't do themselves.

I like them as art on these relic'ed guitars. It's art ... kind of like when someone builds a RatRod. They could have parted with some new paint but why spoil a good vibe!

th-9.jpeg

GearHo

Reaction score
I have seen plenty of posers in my time playing shiny new guitars.

Apparently those that don't like aged guitars feel some type of holier than thou obligation to piss on those that do.

If the cost of aging, or the concept of it is not to your liking then fine. I have never started a thread about shiny new guitars suck, because I don't much care if someone chooses that route.

Look on any website and aged guitars are there, because they sell. And they have been selling since the mid nineties.

No one forces a person to buy an aged guitar, if you don't like them don't buy one.
But sure as shit those that don't like them feel obligated to bark up the ass of someone that does.

As posted earlier, I have both, aged, and real play wear, neither changes anything about me.

So, go buy your shiny new guitar, wipe it off if you drool on it, cover it from sun and sharp objects, then tell everyone your something special.

Don't forget to wear your jeans with the holes in them.

Last edited:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
My two cents:
I do like light relicing and aging, and I've found the content really interesting, and the information shared quite valuable.
I've then red all the eight parts of the conversion process and the articles are notably well written and enjoyable.

Despite the articles being really image dense, though, there is no single picture of the headstock after the conversion.
I really suspect this Greco received a Gibson overlay, and if that really happened, this conversion has transformed into a counterfeit process, which is not really fair.

PierM

Reaction score
I really suspect this Greco received a Gibson overlay, and if that really happened, this conversion has transformed into a counterfeit process, which is not really fair.
If it's a personal project on a personal guitar, not selling it, he can do whatever he wants.. :)

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of posers in my time playing shiny new guitars.

Apparently those that don't like aged guitars feel some type of holier than thou obligation to piss on those that do.

If the cost of aging, or the concept of it is not to your liking then fine. I have never started a thread about shiny new guitars suck, because I don't much care if someone chooses that route.

Look on any website and aged guitars are there, because they sell. And they have been selling since the mid nineties.

No one forces a person to buy an aged guitar, if you don't like them don't buy one.
But sure as shit those that don't like them feel obligated to bark up the ass of someone that does.

As posted earlier, I have both, aged, and real play wear, neither changes anything about me.

So, go buy your shiny new guitar, wipe it off if you drool on it, cover it from sun and shiny objects, then tell everyone your something special.

Don't forget to wear your jeans with the holes in them.

The Historic Les Pauls I got in 2016 were a VOS which was nice because a few screws had a rusty look, the bridge was a bit used looking etc. Now 2 years later of playing it a lot there's very nice patina I put there. It got a head start and broke in to "me" and now has my DNA.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
If it's a personal project on a personal guitar, not selling it, he can do whatever he wants.. :)
Sure,
he can do whatever he wants eventually. But if he wanted it to be a Gibson he could have started from cheap used les paul studio for example.
Apart from this headstock logo topic, I stil believe he has done a really high quality job.

Last edited:

GearHo

Reaction score
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG
Where aging gets a bad rap is the excessive amounts inflicted upon so many guitars.

The more aging the higher the chances are it looks incredibly fake.

Fender is the most guilty of this, with even their most respected builders churning out guitars that appear like an amateur did the work. The color over color fad is in full swing, and I can't understand that at all. I don't think I have seen but a handful of older guitars that had that appearance. I know they are out there, but there are hundreds of them for sale at the moment.

Only the most skilled can pull it off to make it look somewhat realistic.

A certain subtle level of aging has a nice vibe to it, usually the neck has been worn in as well.

Nothing looks as good as real weather checking, and original play wear, nothing costs as much either.

The vintage market is not a place i can go, and own as many guitars as I do. But, I love the look of an old guitar, and aging them if done right can satisfy that desire. Like this 54 strat that isn't a fender, or has authentic playwear. It works for me.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
GearHo, the Stratocaster above looks beautiful in these shots.
The Greco LP in the original article is ridiculous, excessive to my eye, not unlike many of Fenders recent extreme examples of fake relic/patina/wear.
Owning vintage Gibson's myself, I understand the attraction of an aged finish.
My specific problem with the severe examples of aging is the irreversible damage to wood, deep dents ,gouges ,etc.
I'm usually sharp enough to keep insults out of my posts, but I got it both barrels here and returned fire.
Subtle aging can be tastefully done, but extreme, destructive measures using hardware to damage wood permanently is not art, not to me.

ARandall

Reaction score
There are many poorly done relics, where whoever has done them hasn't looked at an old guitar seemingly.....or he's only looked at Rory Gallaghers strat and think they all must be like that.
But there is good art and bad art, and just because bad art exists, doesn't make all art bad.....even if we think that we might have a handle on what makes something definitively bad.

GearHo

Reaction score
I agree with both of these posts above, the problem is everyone thinks they can age a guitar authentically, and then companies like Fender and others, overdo it.

It started out with Vince Cunetto, and Tom Murphy, and has morphed into something much bigger, not better.

For me, I cant buy a shiny new guitar, I am sure to doink it up, and not in a relic it yourself way. In a you just doinked a killer guitar kind of way. My 2000 R9 was the recipient of a hideous donk, that killed the top.

jcsk8

Reaction score
Relic is an art, like you or not.
Imagine that you have an old guitar, and for some reason you need to refinish the top. You gonna have a brand new looking top on a aged neck and parts? It´s like paiting only part of your car. If you don´t want your guitar to look brand new, the only option you have is tp relic that part so it will match.
Most people over relic their guitars, so they don´t look "natural" aged.
Can you imagine a 500 yo painting being restored with new paints? They just correct the damaged part to match the rest of the art.

ARandall

Reaction score
I tend to like the more subtle. Where you can see checking and the odd dent in the clear that the checking runs into and out of.
Having a few older guitars lets you see just how the wear patterns exist, and makes you err on the side of subtlety rather than obviousness.

DSC00672.JPG
DSC00673.JPG
DSC00675.JPG

judson

Reaction score
i guess he is gonna relic the amp next...see it sittin on the tailgate

waiting till he hits a speed bump :rofl:

Pete M

Reaction score
Relicing is fun to try. Like any project, it's good to get your hands dirty and see what you can achieve. Most people who are even remotely into finishing guitars have probably wanted to try a relic finish at some point. We have relic amps, pedals, and relic guitar cases for no other reason than someone wanted to try it. Aging parts is also fun. There's no right or wrong way to do this stuff either. Just good or bad end results. It's rare that you'll see an aged guitar where every piece and part looks appropriately aged, because let's face it, even vintage guitars don't look like that. They usually have damage, repairs, and replaced parts here and there if they have been gigged to death.

I've aged Gibsons, I've built replicas specifically to be aged. Others I've let age on their own. My conclusion is - no one should go and grab their R9 and start going to town on it in their garage unless they can truly afford to. Also they should know what they are doing to start with, probably a full refinish too. Golden rule for life: Practice on scrap.

For me I love the likes of Tom Murphy aging or Fender relics but I'm not sure I would like to own one. Also with my own work my conclusion has been that because I did the work, I'm unable to appreciate it. Other people think it's fVcking amazing, but I can't really see it. I tend to see the flaws. Just like in a guitar that I built myself. I love the process but am kind of indifferent in the end. The one's that I haven't reliced have stayed around longer and I can appreciate them more.

Last edited:

GearHo

Reaction score
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG

Thank god for pickup trucks that dragged these two behind them, I have to go dye my hair, put on some torn up jeans, wear my shades inside, and get a tattoo, while faking someone else's song.

amgomez

Reaction score
I just started to Relic a Les Paul of mine. A while ago it had an accident so I had it refinished in gold with bronze powder. After a while, I realized this guitar is probably not even worth half of what it was before. I’ve always loved old gold tops. Hence why I chose the bronze powder. I don’t want to wait to be 70 to see my guitar to look like an old guitar, I’m 32.. I don’t know if I’ll be around to see that, you never know what’ll happen. it’s a USA standard.. not like it’ll hold a lot of value. Yesterday, I started checking the lacquer. I didn’t know it would take multiple cans on air dust cleaner. Anyway, if anyone has any tips. Let me know! I read the article the OP mentioned. Idk how I feel about leaving vinegar on my guitar. Vinegar is not the most pleasant smell. My lady cleans with it, and I hate it. Haha!

Attachments

dro

Reaction score
All I had to do was own it. Bought mine brand new. Only for tracking in the studio. Kept in case in guitar closet.
In about 5 years the finish cracked all to hell.
goldtop.JPG

Sorry I don't have a photo after the cracks. Sold it the same day I found the cracks.
That's why I opened the case, Had a buyer.

Latest Threads