The Bourns Report

Lester

Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw some review/info out here on the Bourns mini-pots with DPDT switches for anyone who considers them.

TL; DR: Work well; couple mm taller than spec'ed; ratings consistent but edge of spec; DPDT lugs are tiny.

I went with these because I wanted push-pull in a cavity that wasn't very deep (Epi SL, top access like a Strat). The Bourns are spec'ed to be 29mm tall minimum when installed which seemed like they would fit. Even so, it was too tight by a couple mm and I had to rout a small circle under each pot. That was due to the ground solder tab being located on the top of the DPDT switch. I think they are a couple mm over that 29mm spec. Definitely over after you solder a wire to the lug.

I had three and they all measured out in the 265-272K range - the upper edge of the spec for 250K pots. (This was a two/vol, one tone setup so I used the two which were within in a few K of each other for the two volume).

The pot lugs are comfortably sized, but the DPDT switch lugs are tiny. Soldering them is challenging for a thick fingered fellow like myself. 22 gauge wire fit in the lugs but only if you made sure every strand was neatly twisted with none outside the core ID. If you cut with a diagonal cutters you had to reshape because a tiny little bit of end flattening prevented insertion in the lug. Tinning beforehand was a no-no - even with tinned wires that I blew the excess off with a shot of air when wet would not fit. Fitting two wires in a lug wasn't happening.

They seem to work well. The DPDT's don't pop when used. Controls are smooth and taper seems good.

Last edited:

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Another Bourns report...

Just received these. Easily passed the eye test. Look like great quality. Rotation feels super slick. They are marked D500K. Had to look that up. Never saw a D taper before. Tested the 1st two, 520k and 510k. Oh cool... looking good! 3rd one 480k, not bad. The freakin last one, 410k :rolleyes: out of spec.

So eff it. I went ahead and wired up a new harness anyway. 410k is the bridge tone. Soldering looked good for the 1st time ever. I'm the world's worst solderer! lol

Trying to put the harness into the cavity, I soon discovered that these "metric" pots won't fit through the holes of my Epiphone. WTF! Asian 6mm knurled shaft and my knobs fit perfectly, but the bushing is 3/8 inch :facepalm: Now I gotta go try to find a damn reamer tomorrow.

So for now, I think Bourns are kinda weirdo hybrids LOL And I sure wasn't happy to see that one with only 410k ohms resistance. Hope I like them better once everything is up and running.

IMG20210219143641 RESIZE .jpg IMG20210219173617 RESIZE .jpg

Lester

Reaction score
Odd that they don't fit. That should be standard. Maybe your holes are on the low side of the spec? 3/8" is 9.5mm, maybe something is spec'd to the other standard (like that NASA Mars landing a few years ago).

The Harbor Freight reamer is perfect for the job and cost $3. I used one for some tuner work.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
I think the Asian made metric spec guitars have 8mm holes. I've used CTS metric, Alpha, Gotoh, Mighty Mite... they all fit my guitars. So yeah, its weird.

There ain't no Harbor Freight in Bangkok LOL Sometimes (most of the time) its not easy to find things that are common to us.

Lester

Reaction score
I think the Asian made metric spec guitars have 8mm holes. I've used CTS metric, Alpha, Gotoh, Mighty Mite... they all fit my guitars. So yeah, its weird.

There ain't no Harbor Freight in Bangkok LOL Sometimes (most of the time) its not easy to find things that are common to us.
Ah, sorry, being a bit USA centric there.

Latest Threads