The Boss Katana is........excellent.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So after reading through all the mega-threads over the last couple years, wanting to believe the hype and/or disprove the hype...I pulled the trigger on a MKii 100 1x12 combo this April. Really took a lot of time to get a handle on what it does, how it does it, all that. The sounds within each amp type can be endlessly tweaked.
First off, yes, within a couple days I did the factory reset. Big positive difference right there.
All amp selections are great, the clean is over the top good, you can do everything you could ever imagine with the Crunch or Lead with an SD-1 in front of the amp. I’m serious. So dynamic and the amp cuts, does everything you need and this feels and sounds like a true 100 watts should. LOUD as hell. Holy S it’s loud!! It has so much headroom for gain and clean. When you have a usual 15 watt “home tube amp”, they are loud as hell but the headroom for high gain is gone by the time you’re at three or four on the volume knob by design. The EQ almost doesn’t matter at that point, the whole circuit is overtaken. Neck pickups become void at that point to me. Often there’s just way too much bottom end in the tone. So then to get in the sweet spot your master has to be set around 3....that’s just not loud enough in my band setting.
With this Katana you have full expression with neck and middle position clean or high gain and leads with a les Paul, and at ear splitting volumes, or half a watt. And the pick attack is there. I had a couple tech 21’s which are a “nicer” product for sure, but almost sounded like a re-production of sound (not real-time) and the string-feel/pick attack wasn’t there.
Now if I was going to record an album in the near future, I’m sure my 35 watt 6L6 head and cab setup would get the nod for my hard rock to classic metal toned riffs.....but you gotta tweak tweak tweak and stay there for that sound.
In practice or band situations, with 4 programmable channel banks....$300.....I’m just blown away.
This review is just out of pure usefulness, trial and error over years of trying and forcing gear in probably the wrong uses or applications hahaha.
For what I do now and the range of sounds I like, the ultimate conventional amp setup might end up being a Deluxe reverb with pedals....but cost, reliability.....space, weight.....I’m just spoiled right now.
I love Hot Rod Plexi metal and hard rock tones, I like British clean sounds but with fender feel....that’s all hard to achieve through one rig.

Last edited:

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
THis is why those of us that have switched to digital/modelling have done so.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Katana is quite an amp. I have the little lunchbox version that I use exclusively with headphones, and the tweakability is pretty much limitless. So much fun.

PAPADON

Reaction score
I love Hot Rod Plexi metal and hard rock tones, I like British clean sounds but with fender feel....that’s all hard to achieve through one rig.
It just amazes me that someone like you who loves Hot Rod Plexi and someone like me who loves clean Country Spank can get what we want in spades out of the same low cost amp.

1600620372795.png

Last edited:

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It just amazes me that someone like you who loves Hot Rod Plexi and someone like me who loves clean Country Spank can get what we want in spades out of the same low cost amp.

View attachment 489680
And that Gretsch!!!! Argh I love it!!! Which model!? On my roster wish list at some point!
Yup. I need great clean tones too with the band I’m trying to get up and cookin. A lot of 60’s old rock stuff, Bobby Fuller, Surf stuff....
I’m definitely going to end up getting the foot switch. To boot, I just got a decent laptop last week so I’ll be tweaking further with the Boss Tone Studio soon. LOVE this amp.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have the Artist MKII and love it also. :dude:
Monster amp man!!! I guess Boss offers the Waza speaker separately now too...I might try it out.
how you liking this amp compared to many of the lower wattage tube offerings? I like them all myself, but to get great full tone at .5 watts, or have my drummer look at me like I’m crazy in 100 watts hahaha...this thing is remarkable!

PAPADON

Reaction score
And that Gretsch!!!! Argh I love it!!! Which model!? On my roster wish list at some point!
Yup. I need great clean tones too with the band I’m trying to get up and cookin. A lot of 60’s old rock stuff, Bobby Fuller, Surf stuff....
I’m definitely going to end up getting the foot switch. To boot, I just got a decent laptop last week so I’ll be tweaking further with the Boss Tone Studio soon. LOVE this amp.
Thanks. It's a 6119 Tennessee Rose and it sounds great with the Katana. That's one of the things I like most about this amp. I've also got a Blues Jr. that I like a lot and sounds great with some of my guitars but not quite so great with others. The Katana is a true chameleon. No matter what guitar you plug into it you can change the amps character to make it sound like they were made for each other.

As far as the Tone Studio goes one thing I learned early on is that it's a great tool but the presets only get me to the neighborhood. Because of the differences between my gear and the person who created the preset there's almost always some fine tuning to be done.

Last edited:

Tdurden032

Reaction score
I’ve almost bought a katana like 3 times now - I need to stop messing around and just pull the trigger - people are crazy about them and I definitely see why...

Seven

Reaction score
Monster amp man!!! I guess Boss offers the Waza speaker separately now too...I might try it out.
how you liking this amp compared to many of the lower wattage tube offerings? I like them all myself, but to get great full tone at .5 watts, or have my drummer look at me like I’m crazy in 100 watts hahaha...this thing is remarkable!
Pretty much the same for me. I love my little low watt tube amps too, but really dig the versatility of these.

Latest Threads