The bits that are not wood.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, might have to reappraise how many guitars I make this year, think I’ll shoot for one, the other bits are mounting costs with shocking speed.
so far upto:
£85 for loom with PIO caps. RS superpots.
£65 for ‘65 bridge, been lucky with these, 1st one I paid £45 for.
£40 for original recipe brass screws and saddle for bridge.
£135 for some early ‘70’s milk bottles.
£165 for a set of humbuckers.
£50 for stop bar and long studs.
No plastics yet.

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, half way there, wood for the tops on its way. ordered 4 maple caps from american hardwoods. a member in my area said they'd be interested in two, so we'll split those costs. so not sure yet what the landed price will be.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@Brek

I'm confused? "£135 for some early ‘70’s milk bottles?"
Just Curious?
Gene

ARandall

Reaction score
Yeah, he was after some historic milk ;)

........They're Grovers

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, yeah they are grovers, with the rounded shape like, funnily enough a milk bottle. Only buying older ones for the more natural patina, aged new ones in the U.K. are about the same money. If you can find them, noticed quite a few bits and bobs are out of stock at mo. My usual string supplier has no pyramid nickel strings avail at mo.

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Parts sells aged Grovers for 89 Euros (£77) and they are in stock.
Capture.JPG

Creamtone seems to have them for US$99 (£70 ) and they are also in stock.
Capture.JPG

There is a massive difference between vintage correct and vintage look. Stew Mac has a set for about £40 slightly aged and they would pass the "quick glance" test easily.

Capture.JPG

Now I guess there is quite the difference between the listed price and then included shipping, duties, and taxes.

Cheers Peter.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Nickel does age pretty quickly on it's own. The hardware on my 2018 SG has already started. That would be my newest guitar. However, I understand how new shiny hardware can look funny on an old guitar and I have bought aged Gotoh or Faber stuff for that reason. I also aged a vibrola myself using vinegar to match to an old guitar.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Parts sells aged Grovers for 89 Euros (£77) and they are in stock.
Crazy Parts have been my preferred supplier for this kind of thing, great company to deal with in my experience, but I've not ordered anything since Brexit. Going to be additional charges and maybe double VAT now, I fear.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, I did look at overseas, they prolly still a bit cheaper even with duty and all, but couldn’t be chewed with it for some reason, so bought some old ones from the U.K. I don’t want the grovers without the rounded shape, those ones that are square on the base are not my bag.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Parts have been my preferred supplier for this kind of thing, great company to deal with in my experience, but I've not ordered anything since Brexit. Going to be additional charges and maybe double VAT now, I fear.
Yeah that’s one reason I didn’t order anything from them. Those grovers they sell I don’t like at all though. I have bought a few items off them in last year, 2 of the thinner German silver pickup covers, the soft brass saddles and screws, switch tip and a set of volume/tone knobs.
The wife and I both voted remain, as did our son and his wife, seems the rest of our family on both sides voted leave, and now wish they hadn’t, ‘tards the lot of them. The EU like most things government has it’s share of issues, but damn it was convenient.

Latest Threads