Reaction score
Bike stands are solid!

1654544672579.png

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I took a long ride on a dirt & gravel trail yesterday... 28.41 miles up & back from my house to a little town on the Delaware River called New Hope. The first 5 miles were on paved roads until I reached the river.
IMG_1092.JPG

From there I get on a canal path that runs on both sides of the river.

Usually I cross the river, like Washington did, at Washington's Crossing Park and then ride up the NJ canal path. That side is much smoother, and the gravel is really hard packed - almost like riding on a paved road.

But, for this ride, I rode on the PA side. It's compacted dirt and gravel. And, not as clean of a ride.

My bike got really filthy. Not muddy, but just a heavy coating of dirt & dust that got kicked up along the ride. It actually looks worse in person, than in this picture.

1.jpg

Needless to say, I washed it today.

I always remove the wheels when washing. It just makes it easier to clean everything more thoroughly. And, I don't splash degreaser all over the place when I clean the chain and derailleur.

A couple of Park tools makes cleaning the chain easier and better.

The first is this thing that replaces the rear wheel cassette...

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 6.30.56 PM.png

The second thing is this chain cleaner...

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 9.53.22 PM.png

I fill it with Simple Green, and pedal for about 30-40 seconds. Then, I dump out the gunk, rinse it out with fresh water & fill it with soapy water and run the chain through it for another 30-40 seconds. After that, I just rinse the chain with the hose. It's clean as new and ready for lube (after it dries, of course).

This was the first time that I gave my bike a thorough washing since I got the bike work stand. That thing is just fucking great. It's so nice to NOT bend over, or squat down to work on the bike.

You might be thinking.... where is the "after" picture... well, I forgot to take one. LOL.

Next big ride comes up in early July... we are going to Boston for four days, and we plan to ride all over up there. They say the ride along the Charles is great. Looking forward to that.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Cool! Here’s mine…
2022 Fezzari Wasatch Peak Elite: SRAM GX Eagle groupo, SRAM G2-RSC brakes, 200/180 mm SRAM Centerline rotors, Rockshox Recon Gold RL fork (120mm), DMR V11 pedals, PNW Loam Dropper post (150mm), Stan’s Arch S2 rims, Assegai 2.5 front, Minion DHR 2.4 rear, running CushCore Pro in both tires (16f/18r psi). The rest is stock Fezzari. I just got the custom stem cap today. I love this bike!

Attachments

• 13E1C7E6-D2DB-4D8E-9FD4-838121F9506A.jpeg
    13E1C7E6-D2DB-4D8E-9FD4-838121F9506A.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 3F7176BB-7A73-496D-B5CA-2A0D61836721.jpeg
    3F7176BB-7A73-496D-B5CA-2A0D61836721.jpeg
    831.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2FDA5A89-CF7F-4EF0-9489-7A8B4AF4A124.jpeg
    2FDA5A89-CF7F-4EF0-9489-7A8B4AF4A124.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

lunchbox

Reaction score
I fell and got the handlebars slammed into my sternum over this past weekend. Fun times.
Ouch! Hope you heal quickly!

I’m still recovering from a crash 3 weeks ago. I had the shitty stock Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2 tires on my ride, and I washed out HARD. That part of the trail has a lot of gravel from pea sized to 4” or 5” diameter. And my left shoulder went right onto it. My shoulder, back and side were all rashed out, I somehow sprained my right thumb, and I probably cracked my rotator cuff. But 1.5 weeks off and I got back to it with the new tires. Now I’m sticking like glue.

Those Ardent Race tires are worthless on anything but roads or flat gravel fire roads. I don’t care what they sell them as (supposedly XC tires).

Here’s one of my local trails that’s a lot of fun. It’s the upper portion that’s a beginner section, then drops where the vid stops into a way more technical, downhill intermediate section. I mostly hit the intermediates, but also love the flowy beginner trails we have here. There’s lots of them. As long as there’s no hikers, you can bomb those runs! And watch out for deer! I almost hit one the other day. They will F you up at speed.
(Not my video.)

Last edited:

integra evan

Reaction score
Ouch! Hope you heal quickly!

I’m still recovering from a crash 3 weeks ago. I had the shitty stock Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2 tires on my ride, and I washed out HARD. That part of the trail has a lot of gravel from pea sized to 4” or 5” diameter. And my left shoulder went right onto it. My shoulder, back and side were all rashed out, I somehow sprained my right thumb, and I probably cracked my rotator cuff. But 1.5 weeks off and I got back to it with the new tires. Now I’m sticking like glue.

Those Ardent Race tires are worthless on anything but roads or flat gravel fire roads. I don’t care what they sell them as (supposedly XC tires).

Here’s one of my local trails that’s a lot of fun. It’s the upper portion that’s a beginner section, then drops where the vid stops into a way more technical, downhill intermediate section. I mostly hit the intermediates, but also love the flowy beginner trails we have here. There’s lots of them. As long as there’s no hikers, you can bomb those runs! And watch out for deer! I almost hit one the other day. They will F you up at speed.
(Not my video.)

Thanks! It's just bruised up pretty good now. Knocked the wind out of me for a couple seconds, but thankfully no broken ribs or punctured lungs.
I was going through a rock garden, took the wrong line over one of the rocks and front tire went straight into a hole on the other side. Bike went down first, right below me, and I managed to land right on top of the end of the handlebar.
Hope you recover soon too!

TheX

Not a Navy SEAL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a long ride on a dirt & gravel trail yesterday... 28.41 miles up & back from my house to a little town on the Delaware River called New Hope. The first 5 miles were on paved roads until I reached the river.
View attachment 617009

From there I get on a canal path that runs on both sides of the river.

Usually I cross the river, like Washington did, at Washington's Crossing Park and then ride up the NJ canal path. That side is much smoother, and the gravel is really hard packed - almost like riding on a paved road.

But, for this ride, I rode on the PA side. It's compacted dirt and gravel. And, not as clean of a ride.

My bike got really filthy. Not muddy, but just a heavy coating of dirt & dust that got kicked up along the ride. It actually looks worse in person, than in this picture.

View attachment 617001

Needless to say, I washed it today.

I always remove the wheels when washing. It just makes it easier to clean everything more thoroughly. And, I don't splash degreaser all over the place when I clean the chain and derailleur.

A couple of Park tools makes cleaning the chain easier and better.

The first is this thing that replaces the rear wheel cassette...

View attachment 617004

The second thing is this chain cleaner...

View attachment 617005

I fill it with Simple Green, and pedal for about 30-40 seconds. Then, I dump out the gunk, rinse it out with fresh water & fill it with soapy water and run the chain through it for another 30-40 seconds. After that, I just rinse the chain with the hose. It's clean as new and ready for lube (after it dries, of course).

This was the first time that I gave my bike a thorough washing since I got the bike work stand. That thing is just fucking great. It's so nice to NOT bend over, or squat down to work on the bike.

You might be thinking.... where is the "after" picture... well, I forgot to take one. LOL.

Next big ride comes up in early July... we are going to Boston for four days, and we plan to ride all over up there. They say the ride along the Charles is great. Looking forward to that.
I use a lower pressure power washer.

Latest Threads