The bike thread

ARandall

Reaction score
After a post from @CheopisIV in another thread I thought there might be a few bike riders around.

So given that bikes can be a more effective wallet lightener than music, maybe we could have a thread on bikes of all kinds.
Here are mine.....
While I did start off as an XC racer, I now race road. The balance is much more drop-bar strong than its ever been.
YT izzo
Focus Mares
Cervelo S3
Cervelo S5
DSC_0464.JPG
DSC_0465.JPG

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I took up MTB recently, and got myself a Trek X-Caliber 8. I totally overpaid for the bike, but since I'm top of the bell curve height, every frame my size was out of stock. I was looking at a Giant but they told me Mar 31st (back in January) before they'd get one in.

I got lucky and they had two when I sauntered into a Trek store. Someone else came in within about 5 minutes and bought the other. In a better market, I might have made a more informed decision. I just wanted to get riding. I wanted a bike I could grow into (buy once cry once). When it comes time to go full squish then I'll take my time. Probably will end up with a Santa Cruz Enduro.

XCaliber8_21_33193_B_Portrait.jpg

PeteK

Reaction score
I have a Cannondale CAAD10 that I've ridden thousands of miles. Since having kids, I've lost interest a bit in long distance road riding, so it's mostly collecting dust now.

My main ride now is a Trek FX Sport that I commute to work with as well as haul my kids behind in a trailer. Far more comfortable geometry than the Cannondale and for shorter rides, it suits me just fine.

Also a few years ago I started dabbling at mountain biking. I have a Trek Stache. I see Trek discontinued the model this year, which is a shame because the 29+ wheels and tires are pretty damn fun to ride. Not quite fat tire bikes, not your regular 29er, but a pretty nice sweet spot in between. Hard tail, which is fine for me since I'm at the top of the chart for suspension settings anyway as I am part Shrek.

PeteK

Reaction score
Imma hit me a ‘lectric bike.
It does all the work.
You stay fat!
The group I go mountain riding with, there are several e-bike riders. I think they are friggin cheaters, but then the only reason they are even out there riding is because they are on an e-bike. So I see both sides.

Slater529

Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My number 1 bike is a Trek Emonda SLR 7 Project 1. Bought it brand new in September 2018. I've put close to 10,000 miles on it so far.

IMG_2107.JPG

My other bike is an '81 Colnago Super decked out with Dura Ace 10-speed drive train. I haven't put many miles on this one, but it was a fun project putting it together.

IMG_1806.jpg

Last edited:

sonar1

Reaction score
That's not an "E-bike". That's just a regular dirt bike with an electric motor. It's not pretending to be a pedal bike.
That’s OK.
I didn’t WANT to pedal!
Just for going downhill.
Then, use the motor to go back up.
Eliminating those heavy pedals and all will save weight! :hmm:

PeteK

Reaction score
That’s OK.
I didn’t WANT to pedal!
Just for going downhill.
Then, use the motor to go back up.
Eliminating those heavy pedals and all will save weight! :hmm:
Nothing wrong with that. Lots of ski resorts open in the summer now as downhill mountain bike parks. You ride the lift to the top. I'm considering going to Whistler and renting a downhill bike. Looks fun as hell

sonar1

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. Lots of ski resorts open in the summer now as downhill mountain bike parks. You ride the lift to the top. I'm considering going to Whistler and renting a downhill bike. Looks fun as hell
I saw something years ago about “clunker” races in Marin, IIRC.
Bonzai downhill on coaster brake bikes on fire roads.
Looked like broad sliding downhill at Pikes Peak.

Latest Threads