Reaction score

Two out of four, and another on the way
833EF14D-DBE9-491C-8DE3-F80A87507214.jpeg

It’ll be a DSG version of this:
5DDE0887-E4A2-484B-9AAF-E7FD0A9EB7EB.jpeg

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Convince Her on those 4?

Naw - I'm too busy trying to convince Her that I need 1 each HB, P-90, & F-style-single solids, semi - hollow, electric 12, jazz box, electric sitar, electric bass, large-, medium-, and small-body 6-string flat-tops, acoustic 12, classical, biscuit, spider, & tri-cone resos, banjitar, archtop, and ABG..........

(Got 8 of them covered - but one can always upgrade :))

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I have really focused more on getting the most diverse tones I can rather than having so many variations of a 2 humbucker guitar.

1. A 335/345/355 is definitely the king in my book. It can do so much and sounds great at all of them.

2. Jazzmaster - I have been in love with my JM and surprised how versatile it is. I would gladly leave a strat and tele at home and coax the fender tones out of a JM. Plus the vibrato system is sooooo good.

3. Les Paul - just so I don’t get kicked out of the group.

4. Rick 12 string - this is a dream guitar of mine. I have played several but can’t quite handle the price tag. I love how wild they sound.

Then amps… my oh my. If I had the 4 above and a Princeton, I could live on an island alone for many years.
A fine list - but for me, the Ric wouldn't stand a chance against a Fender Electric XII, Epiphone Riviera 12, or Alembic Series I or II 12.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I have 20 guitars, only eight manufacturers are represented (nine are Gibsons.)
When it comes to amps, four are Marshalls, and then 14 other makers (I may have said before that I like amps.)
I suppose I have a "big 2" in Marshall and Fender, but the rest are all small to medium builders, and a lot are "offshore" ;)

Steven

Reaction score
My solution and I have no regrets at 66. Forget about the headaches of a wife, meaning remain single. I was a very busy working musician and could never deal with any restrictions regarding my number one love in life. Being a musician.

dspelman

Reaction score
How many of you have just the big four? I’m talking one Les Paul, one ES-335, one Telecaster and one Stratocaster? Sure, one could make an argument for Richenbacker, PRS or Gretsch, I’m talking the Big 4 and only FOUR.

On a side note, how does one convince their significant other, this said person needs these 4 iconic guitars? Obviously one does it all in her mind and money is not endless.

I’ve got the Les Paul, the 335 and could swap my Epiphone les paul custom for 1 of the Fenders, just don't know how to approach this subject and another few grand spent on equipment for a damn good bedroom musician. Don’t get me started on amps. All I need is concrete advice. Be happy with a Les paul and 335? It cant be limited there can it? There’s got to be a solution for a 60 year old entering retirement soon.
I don't have the "Big 4 and only FOUR."

I had my first 335 back in the late '60's, I have a bunch of LPs, no strats and no teles. I do have Variax guitars (and other guitars) that are functionally similar or model all of those guitars. Honestly, I'm not at all convinced that the "Big 4" are a requirement or an end point for a guitar stack, except in your head. The concept limits your buying options to just two brands, and I don't think the Big Four concept has been valid for at least 40 years.

Smitstof

Reaction score
How many of you have just the big four? I’m talking one Les Paul, one ES-335, one Telecaster and one Stratocaster? Sure, one could make an argument for Richenbacker, PRS or Gretsch, I’m talking the Big 4 and only FOUR.

On a side note, how does one convince their significant other, this said person needs these 4 iconic guitars? Obviously one does it all in her mind and money is not endless.

I’ve got the Les Paul, the 335 and could swap my Epiphone les paul custom for 1 of the Fenders, just don't know how to approach this subject and another few grand spent on equipment for a damn good bedroom musician. Don’t get me started on amps. All I need is concrete advice. Be happy with a Les paul and 335? It cant be limited there can it? There’s got to be a solution for a 60 year old entering retirement soon.
I have: Les Paul Studio 2007 (wine red), Les Paul Classic 2022 (heritage cherry sunburst), ES-335 2002 (cherry), Fender Stratocaster Ann. 1954-1979 (Porsche silver), Fender Stratocaster AVRI 1997 (burgundy mist) and Fender Telecaster 2002 (candy apple red)...

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont like fenders. They're too boring. PRS gets me mostly there; and Gibson for life!

playing a fender feels like I’m shaking hands with a kitten…

even my SRV is too dainty…sounds unmistakably ”austin” though…

I end up playing mostly Ian moore and arc angels on it…sounds more like ian Moore than SRV imho…

-chris

6006C7AA-911F-482E-B62B-67782A1CF252.jpeg

InTheEvening

Reaction score

I’m a bedroom musician but I do post videos of my playing online, so I guess I justify my guitars with that haha. But really, if you have the money and space, get all the guitars your heart desires. Can’t imagine why your better half would object as long it isn’t impacting your finances or taking up tons of space. I’m already at 9 guitars and still have the itch for a mahogany top LP and a 3 pickup Gibson…and something from the Custom Shop. xD

If you really need to convince your spouse, tell them you’re buying a 100 Watt Marshall full stack amp…they’ll say it’s too big, too loud, too pricey! And that when you calmly “compromise” and tell them you’ll settle for another guitar instead which will take up less space. ;)

I just recently got an Epiphone ES-335 which is my first semi-hollow and have several Gibsons. But I happily sold my only Fender, an MIA tele long ago and don’t miss it one bit, don’t own any Fenders and haven’t had much desire for one since. If I want single coils, a Gibson with p90s is my first choice.

My top 4 main players at the moment.

Les Paul Standard 60s and Les Paul Custom my #1 and #2
2-D62-DE92-A47-C-4076-902-C-CB9-E9-BBF1-D6-F.jpg

Les Paul Junior for my single coil tones
A01175-A8-F079-44-B8-A5-C0-3-E043812-F29-A.jpg

Charvel So Cal…prob closest I’ll get to a “Fender” anytime soon. Gets some sweet strat sounds when coil split and being a hair metal nut, this takes care of my floyd rose needs.
79-A1945-C-4-FE7-42-B0-8-FF1-9-CE275-C9-EC4-D.jpg

Last edited:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
These four are my forever keepers.

The two in the back are war horses. They've been on all my albums, the radio, and just about every show I've ever played between both of them. Huge sentimental attachment, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better playing guitar than the green one.

The front two are the best sounding. The V sounds gigantic and thick. The R8 feels like I was standing there when they shaped the neck, 8.8lbs, ultra resonant, and it sounds like angels. Took years to find it, top 1% type of LP.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the big three, in quantities of: 3 three les pauls, two fender strats and one fender tele. just started to think about a 335 style guitar. I also have two epi's a white custom and a goldtop. A chinese made SX tele (way better than price would indicate) and Richwood black custom also surprisingly good for the money.

Latest Threads