The big 4 collection.

ritchieburns

Reaction score
How many of you have just the big four?

I hate to say it, but I've been collecting guitars for more than 60 years, and have more than 40 in my collection, and very many more in our sales stock (of which I always pinch (steal) one or two of the very best of each model).
Fortunately, having far too many guitars to even play or maintain action and intonation, I very rarely buy strings.
Severe GAS is a drastic underestimate of my seemingly incurable condition. (or at least my wife thinks so.)

ritchieburns

Reaction score
Just start buying CHEAP instrument cases. Once you have about ten empties, swap it out for one with a guitar in it. Problem solved

Strats belong in a garbage can, save your money and get three and a dreadnought.
My favorite guitar and one which I always gig with, is my Black Strat Plus. I have always loved it, and swapped it for a Smith Strat which was OK, but Strat Plus is at another level, at least for me..

bwillard

Reaction score
Here is my big 4:

Supreme%20Full.jpg

ES-335.jpg

Stratocaster.jpg

Telecaster.jpg

JCavender

Reaction score
I guess I would say I have the big four +
2 LPs, 1 335, 3 Strats, 2 Teles + 1 SG
All Gibson and Fender USA

Regarding your spouse, all I can say is my wife understands it’s my hobby/career and I never create a financial hardship when acquiring something new(new to me). I rarely buy anything new, mostly used. Honestly after years of buying/selling/trading various guitars & gear, I’ve been able to fund most of my current collection.

Good luck!

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I always have an eye out for a cool Strat.
I have four currently, so I don’t really need another one, but if I find something cool, and the price is right…

My 1993 American Standard was the first new guitar I bought after owning a bunch of used stuff.
I have an Ash Strat with P-90s in it that I love, another Ash Strat Hardtail, a Strat with Danelectro lipsticks in it, and I’m looking to put a set of wide range humbuckers in another one.

I have a pretty cool Telecaster that I posted up-thread, so I don’t really need another one.

My ES-335 is my cold dead hands guitar.
I would love to get an ES-330.

For years, I had a beautiful Rickenbacker 381 V69, and I hate myself for selling it, but it was a family deal.

I bought a Firebird V a couple of years ago, and I’m still figuring out what makes it tick.
I’ve had Vs and Explorers, so they always catch my eye.
I don’t know if I could ever pay the money for it, but I would love to have a nice 58-style Korina V.

Couple years ago I bought a 2008 Japanese-built Ampeg Dan Armstrong with the entire selection of pickups. Haven’t yet had a chance to figure out everything that guitar will do.

martin H

Reaction score
Yup. That's my core collection.

LP, 335, Tele, Strat, plus 6 and 12 string Ricks. I do prefer ESP Teles and Strats to Fenders because I like the V neck. My basses follow the same pattern - Precision, Jazz, and Rick 4001.

vechap

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I've been collecting guitars for more than 60 years, and have more than 40 in my collection, and very many more in our sales stock (of which I always pinch (steal) one or two of the very best of each model).
Fortunately, having far too many guitars to even play or maintain action and intonation, I very rarely buy strings.
Severe GAS is a drastic underestimate of my seemingly incurable condition. (or at least my wife thinks so.)
Sadly, I only have 34... :)

mjross

Reaction score
I’ll start with these! Everyone will have a different idea of their “big 4”, here’s just a few of mine. Keep in mind that it frequently changes. Oh yeah, it helps to have a wife that gets it!

1669220378587.jpeg

Does this count as four?

1669220541554.jpeg

This was the big 4 for a while!

1669220896596.jpeg

This is a nice foursome!

1669221144557.jpeg

The ultimate foursone!

1669221318860.jpeg

1669221363113.jpeg

Not shown here is a MIJ EVH Wolfgang Special, these Wolfgang are a nice foursome. The one in the middle is a Custom Built Jet City Wolfgang.

1669251841643.jpeg

Last edited:

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
A lefty double neck?
What did it take to make that work for you?

morepowder

Reaction score
I must say I am really surprised how few people have a P90 guitar in their "Big 4". If I was forced to choose, the humbucker-equipped LP would go and my Special would stay. Gotta have a P90!

Here is a terrible pic of my four. I just may own more however. LOL

Four.jpg

waxout

Reaction score
Hmmm, If no one has said it, I consider the big 4 to be; LP, SG, Tele, and Strat. And yes I have them!

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I’ve never had any desire to get a 335…they just don’t speak to me.

I’ve owned a few US made Strat’s and Tele’s and didn’t feel comfortable playing them. They just didn’t work for me.

Soooo….I guess my list is ‘68 Historic Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Gibson Flying V and a crapload of USA Super Strats. :)

Louie the Slug

Reaction score
I built my own big 4: LP, LP Jr, Strat, Tele. I would very much like an ES-335 and agree it belongs……but it‘s just too hard for this amateur to build…….

mjross

Reaction score
A lefty double neck?
What did it take to make that work for you?
It’s a righty and I play it upside down strung right handed. All my lefties are strung righty. I have few guitars, most of them are right handed!

Last edited:

Latest Threads