The big 4 collection.

Slim fatman

Reaction score
How many of you have just the big four? I’m talking one Les Paul, one ES-335, one Telecaster and one Stratocaster? Sure, one could make an argument for Richenbacker, PRS or Gretsch, I’m talking the Big 4 and only FOUR.

On a side note, how does one convince their significant other, this said person needs these 4 iconic guitars? Obviously one does it all in her mind and money is not endless.

I’ve got the Les Paul, the 335 and could swap my Epiphone les paul custom for 1 of the Fenders, just don't know how to approach this subject and another few grand spent on equipment for a damn good bedroom musician. Don’t get me started on amps. All I need is concrete advice. Be happy with a Les paul and 335? It cant be limited there can it? There’s got to be a solution for a 60 year old entering retirement soon.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LP custom balck

Fender Stratocaster s/s/s light relic

Fender Tele if some sort, maybe a semi hollow depending on ch ice 4

Then I’d have to fight it between a king V / Heavy metal type vibe something or other or a semi hollow body of some sort.

If acoustic has to be 1 of the 4 choices get harder.

gball

Reaction score
After 25 years of marriage the only "advice" I can offer is do what makes you happy, provided it doesn't create financial hardship, and if your SO doesn't understand why it is important to you/needs convincing then you may have a bigger problem than wanting a Stratocaster.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I have a variation on that theme :
Les Paul
Es 339
Stratocaster
It's great fun for sure.
Would love to add a Jaguar and a 6120 one day, but I've got most bases covered to be honest.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have big four brands

Gibson

Fender

Desert Star

Danelectro

Numerous models of 3 brands,...but only one Dano,

4 guitars is just too restrictive for me.

If you have Les Paul,.. 335,... Strat,...Tele.... you need a luthier made to your spec guitar....you gotta have at least one and that one should be a Desert Star....

PM.... @LtDave32 and get started cuz he’s a busy man....

Last edited:

RocketKing

Reaction score
If you have room and money you should be able to do what you want with it. You shouldn't have to convince anyone.
I don't really have space for more guitars, I live in a small house with my wife.
But if I had an extra room available she wouldn't make a big fuss.
She knows it's my money and that it is an important hobby for me.
She might not "get it" but she wouldn't have to.

Last edited:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Just start buying CHEAP instrument cases. Once you have about ten empties, swap it out for one with a guitar in it. Problem solved

Strats belong in a garbage can, save your money and get three and a dreadnought.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For four variations I have:

LP & LPMM
Teles
ES-235 x2
J-29

Otherwise:
Explorer
SG
Jazzmaster
Squier Strat-shaped object
Steinberger & Fender basses

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have an issue with my spouse..... my guitar fetish was well established before we met. She understands there’s no help or hope for my infliction.

I have no advice in this regard.... she understands or she don’t.

Slim fatman

Reaction score
Thanks for that gball and RocketKing. It makes sense explained that way. It’s either a marriage problem or a space thing. Money is important, but it’s what you want? Good points.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
Several Les Pauls
Only one amazing ES-335
One Telecaster currently
Several Stratocasters

I have others.

Can’t even count how many I’ve sold in 40 years.

F9A81852-C686-4F59-8FFD-8C5F6FD61942.jpeg

A21CB4AA-E230-40E2-A2CE-71036F46BC2A.jpeg

A46239E1-1CC5-4691-B5DD-1148E14D5F6D.jpeg

D6BF61B3-B8C1-463D-A539-7D3D8AC89020.jpeg

Last edited:

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
How many of you have just the big four? I’m talking one Les Paul, one ES-335, one Telecaster and one Stratocaster? Sure, one could make an argument for Richenbacker, PRS or Gretsch, I’m talking the Big 4 and only FOUR.

On a side note, how does one convince their significant other, this said person needs these 4 iconic guitars? Obviously one does it all in her mind and money is not endless.

I’ve got the Les Paul, the 335 and could swap my Epiphone les paul custom for 1 of the Fenders, just don't know how to approach this subject and another few grand spent on equipment for a damn good bedroom musician. Don’t get me started on amps. All I need is concrete advice. Be happy with a Les paul and 335? It cant be limited there can it? There’s got to be a solution for a 60 year old entering retirement soon.
Here you go.

How many shoes are needed? You can only wear one pair at a time. The same shoe that's best for hiking is not the best for a wedding. I'm not using shoes as the example because many wives have many pairs. So do many guys. I'm just saying it's an example of something you can only use one version of at a time but couldn't expect only one pair to be the right pair in all situations.

Yes, guitars are expensive but buy them used and they are generally worth what you paid for them. That money can be gotten back if needed.

Do that with a pair of shoes, a day of golf, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol etc. When you can't get your money back that gets expensive real quick.

Of course.......I did not stop at the big 4.

Last edited:

Latest Threads