The BFG

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Reaction score
Ah yes, that clears it up nicely...:hmm::squint::confused:o_O:420:.......................NOT!!!
That's what it does mean, unofficially. They publically say it stands for "Barely Finished Guitar", but admit it really means what Donal said :)

rikko

Reaction score
Original BFG was amazing & I'll kick myself in the head for not buying it when I had the chance.

P90 & a humbucker is DA BOMB.

Suppose a late model could be modded to meet such greatness!

redcoats1976

Reaction score

They are as a blank canvas to an artist! That one started out as a black one, which I "washed" with lacquer thinner. That left some black "stain" in the more porous sections. Then it was dyed blue on top. The blue turned rather teal colored very quickly - in a matter of months. The back was done with Fiebings "Buckskin" Professional Leather Dye (an alcohol based metallic dye). The entire guitar clear coated. This was an "original" BFG, so a flame maple truss rod cover was also done in black and blue to match the top.

The wiring is interesting..... after some chats with the late Bill Lawrence, he shared a bit about his original L6s wiring. I more or less copied that wiring, such that, the chicken head knob, on a rotary switch, gives me "both pickups" in parallel, 1/3 (or 2/3 depending how you look at it) out of phase, and series. The standard pickup switch works as it ought to, when "both" are selected on the rotary switch. Controls are volume, mid cut, and treble cut. Mid cut accomplished with a Lawrence Q-Filter.
that is awesome.never really liked BFGs,but that one...yes,please.

straightblues

Reaction score
I have an original BGF. It is a very cool guitar. It plays well and sounds really good. It is mostly hollow inside so it isn't as chunky sounding. It has its own sound. I would recommend you play one before buying one. It may or may not be the sound you are looking for.

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
BFG's should be a stable part of the lineup. Ultimate rocker guitar. So much versatility, at a very low price (back when they first came out). The new ones aren't exactly BFG's but they are still cool. The big difference between them and a Classic will be the neck. (visuals aside)

Thrill

Reaction score
Ah yes, that clears it up nicely...:hmm::squint::confused:o_O:420:.......................NOT!!!
I always thought it meant "Barely Finished Guitar", you know, because its a pretty, *ahem*, "rough" guitar lol

Macronaut

Reaction score
I always thought it meant "Barely Finished Guitar", you know, because its a pretty, *ahem*, "rough" guitar lol
This is the one I think I'm going with.....or "Big Friendly Guitar"....or....whatever...:cool:

Rolandj00

Reaction score
So does a 2014 futura LP qualify as a prettier looking BFG ? Given the trap inlays , subtle flames and BB/P90 pups and all? Or just a studio with a P90? Maybe both I suppose?

Rolandj00

Reaction score
I should have asked if anyone has played both a futura and a bfg? I know their differences. I wonder about their tonal similarities.

the flow

Reaction score
For some reason I am really attracted to this guitar and I think it's because it's rough and ready!! I really want an LP with P90s in and this and the 2018 classic both tick that box. The only reason I am not at my local guitar shop picking one of these up now is because it doesn't come with a case!!! What the hell is going on? A £900 guitar without a case? By the time you have put a case into the cost you might as well spend a little bit more and get the classic which does include a hard case!!

I do think it's pretty though........View attachment 306438
I love these (but I have a Sully Erna too) so I guess I'm in a different space ? I'm going to buy one and do the green treatment "alligator" to it.:)

jgerent

Reaction score
I got one of these in 2011, the Gary Moore version, and have not regretted it at all, and it sounds fantastic. So in the end, I am very happy, and enjoying a Gibson, without all the frills...

jgerent

Reaction score
I've also heard if you sand down the "sculpted", treatment done to the Top, you may be very surprised at the grain structure of the maple cap, I have seen a few and it does look very nice, I wont be doing that to mine, I want to leave it as original as possible...but have been looking for another one to try it..

tokairic

Reaction score
For some reason I am really attracted to this guitar and I think it's because it's rough and ready!! I really want an LP with P90s in and this and the 2018 classic both tick that box. The only reason I am not at my local guitar shop picking one of these up now is because it doesn't come with a case!!! What the hell is going on? A £900 guitar without a case? By the time you have put a case into the cost you might as well spend a little bit more and get the classic which does include a hard case!!

I do think it's pretty though........View attachment 306438
The guitar that Gibson really couldn't be arsed to finish - then hyped up in the advertising department!

LP242

Reaction score
As much as I like my two cherry sunburst birdseye maple top Standards for both their looks and sound, I also love the 'rougher than rough' aesthetic of my black BFG. It's what attracted me to it when I first saw the ads. Played one while visiting friends in Glasgow (the Scottish one), which convinced me to buy one when I got home. Its hollowed body lacks a bit of sustain compared to the two '93 Standards, but it sounds just as great (which makes sense because all three have the same Seymour Duncan APH-2 bridge pickup, and because I fell in love with the BFG's P90 in the neck, I dropped a Bare Knuckles Mississippi Queen humbucker sized P90 in both my Standards) and plays well. I even like the BFG's neck a bit better than the Standard ones; it's a bit fatter. Not much, but it makes a difference in a good way for me. Also, because of its unfinished look, it's a great guitar to take out on the road, because you just don't have to worry about it getting cosmetic damage along the way.

Latest Threads