The best American band of the last 30 years...

Southwest

Reaction score
REM certainly opened their career with an amazing string of albums, but I feel like they started declining with Out of Time and really fell off. Their best music was certainly made early on.

Certainly would agree that the output in later years was patchy, but what about Automatic for the People? Out of Time was superb, as was New Adventures in HiFi, which IMHO was a genuine return to form after a really patchy spell. Though I wish I could have written "Bad Day" or "What's the Frequency Kenneth" as part of my patchy output!:) I guess 20 years from now REM will be better remembered than many of the other suggestions by the general public (as distinct from we guitar players who probably remember FM with Peter Green more than the public as a whole, for example).

Edit to add - not sure how to use the quote function on MLP as a noob. The bit in italics is from @Duane_the_tub - and I'm not having a go mate as I agree with the general thrust of what you said :yesway:.

THAWK819

Reaction score
I’m probably going to take a lot of heat over this one... but over 30 years I have to throw Metallica in the ring. I’ve enjoyed every album (other than Re-Load or St. Anger), which is a pretty good batting average for the last 30 years considering how many records they’ve put out in that time.

I also saw them on the Hardwired tour a few years ago and their live show is just as good as it was when I saw them in high school after Load came out.

I’ve started to look at them as the Led Zeppelin of my generation.

mdubya

Reaction score
Faith No More hasn't been relevant to me since Chuck Mosley and We Care A Lot.

I'll go with D Generation.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some others to consider:

• Tom Petty, with and without Heartbreakers
  • Green Day
  • Stone Temple Pilots

Tim
I feel like STP was only around for a bit. Their first 2, maybe 2.5 albums were outstanding, then it seems like Scott Weiland's addiction kind of caused the band to implode. Very similar arc to Alice in Chains.

Part of it is the length of time, and the time period itself. Who is the best band of the 2010s? How about the 2000s? Music has become so weird since the demise of traditional recordings, sales and radio/MTV. A lot of bands nowadays don't even put out albums, just tracks one by one on digital platforms.

tzd

Reaction score
I think Metallica has to be up there. Also, add Tesla to the list.
Tesla is one of the most underrated band. Great to see live.

However, other than their well known hit songs, most of the other songs in their albums are quite unmemorable. Same thing with AC/DC, I bought all of their albums, and most of the songs that are not hits are quite forgettable.

timmytVA

Reaction score
I feel like STP was only around for a bit. Their first 2, maybe 2.5 albums were outstanding, then it seems like Scott Weiland's addiction kind of caused the band to implode. Very similar arc to Alice in Chains.

Part of it is the length of time, and the time period itself. Who is the best band of the 2010s? How about the 2000s? Music has become so weird since the demise of traditional recordings, sales and radio/MTV. A lot of bands nowadays don't even put out albums, just tracks one by one on digital platforms.

Yeah, it's an interesting question. IMO, there has to be some combination of critical and commercial success. 30 years takes us to 1990, which encompasses Full Moon Fever, Into The Great Wide Open, and Wildflower - a critically and commercially successful time for Petty. His output after that never reached those heights again but was consistently good. And the band remained a wildly successful concert draw. Confession: I'm a total Petty fanboy. It's a running joke in my family.

Green Day has two of the biggest and best albums of the timeframe in Dookie and American Idiot. I'm a big fan, but the releases since AI have been spotty. Some great nuggets for sure, but also a fair amount of mediocre filler. A fantastically fun live band.

You're probably right about STP - burnt out too soon and the post-Weiland versions are good but they're not Weiland.

Tim

Reactions: HJR

Kidcotton

Reaction score
One of them for sure. Nearer the top too. Best name by light years.
I've seen them in Australia 3 times - as well as Mr Bungle. Great shows.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Are you ALL kidding??? Even WITHOUT the sad recent circumstances of Eddies death, Van Halen is TECHNICALLY, Originality and Entertaining wise the greatest AMERICAN Band of the last 30 years.

THEY SET A TREND, no one else did.

All the rest are not Original in content, were clones and copy-cats, and Technically Inferior to EV. PERIOD!

Eddie-Van-Halen-1.jpg

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Are you ALL kidding??? Even WITHOUT the sad recent circumstances of Eddies death, Van Halen is TECHNICALLY, Originality and Entertaining wise the greatest AMERICAN Band of the last 30 years.

THEY SET A TREND, no one else did.

All the rest are not Original in content or Technically superior to EV. PERIOD!
Albums released by Van Halen in the last 30 years:
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Balance
Van Halen III
A Different Kind of Truth

Three different singers, the original bassist and iconic backup vocalist getting kicked out and replaced with Eddie's kid, and some seriously underwhelming material. Sorry, VH was great before 1990, but over the last 30 years they have been mediocre at their very best.

Latest Threads