The best American band of the last 30 years...

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
... is Faith No More

Hold up, I know a lot of you are scoffing. Their breakout single (Epic) and album (The Real Thing) helped spawn a pretty awful genre of music (rap rock) and propel some truly shitty bands to stardom. But FNM were always a cut above, and over time they have sharpened the mastery of their craft and produced some of the very best American music we've had over the last 30 years. Aggressive, sure - Mike Patton's screaming turns a lot of people off - but extremely well-written and impeccably performed. Every member of this band is a virtuoso. Patton has the widest vocal range ever documented for a rock singer (seriously, look it up). They never stay safely in any musical box and instead take chance after chance, blending genres and styles and adding their own signature at the bottom. I think they're absolutely f'ing awesome and only now, when I'm older and more able to understand great music, do I truly appreciate what they've really always been.

Here are two recent examples, from within the past five years. They sound better than ever.

jenton70

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my taste I'd find this quite a bold statement but I can admit they've certainly been influential. I'd argue REM, Alice In Chains, and I'm sure a good many others would sit ahead of FNM.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd argue REM, Alice In Chains, and I'm sure a good many others would sit ahead of FNM.
REM certainly opened their career with an amazing string of albums, but I feel like they started declining with Out of Time and really fell off. Their best music was certainly made early on. AIC was great as well, but obviously couldn't hold it together for tragic reasons and flamed out rather quickly in the big picture.

Like I said, FNM continued to evolve as musicians and I really think they sound better in the last five years than ever before, hence my pick.

ArticulateDemon

Reaction score
Pearl Jam hasn’t had a solid album since their second one.
Considering their 4th and 5th albums are their best, I kindly disagree. By the way, their 2020 offering Gigaton is a glaring display of how this band will continue to stand the test of time.

Reactions: HJR

Wesner477

Reaction score
Has anyone given Adam Jones from Tool a good listen to recently? Especially their new album “Fear Inoculum.” My honest opinion is they’re the Pink Floyd of today from 13min songs to a phenomenal visual/light show. And their drummer Danny Carey... what a monster!!

Latest Threads